Test Messages

see if your messages/attachments are posting properly. (How-to tips for new users too.)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Uploading Photos Into Messages
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 13, 2011 03:12PM

Firstly, a lot of people have trouble because they're starting with photo files that are larger than the message board software is set to accept - specifically, 600KB files. If that's true in your case, you'll need photo editing software. You probably already have it on your computer, but if you don't just Google "free photo editing software" and take your pick. As a general reference, almost all the photos I upload to the website are 600 pixels wide by 450 pixels tall. If you resize a photo to those dimensions, it will probably be between 45KB and 125KB after you save it.

(Incidentally, file size largely depends on compression settings. Bigger is better, but you don't need to go all the way. In PhotoShop I usually save at "60 percent" compression unless it's a picture of a red car. JPEG has a harder time rendering red, so I turn up the setting to "80 percent" for photos of red cars.)

After that, I think photo uploading is pretty straightforward...
1) click on the words "Attach a Photo" underneath the edit box.
2) the edit box will automatically extend downward. Click on the button that's labeled "Browse..."
3) select the photo you want from a folder on your computer.
4) click on the button that's labeled "Attach"
5) you'll see the name of your attached photo file in the edit box. Click on the Preview button to see the actual photo in context.
6) back in the edit box, you can move the photo around relative to text by dragging and dropping the file name. That's how people intersperse text with photos.

Have fun with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 02:38PM by Moderator.

This Thread has been closed