The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Coming Soon... Yet Another Edition of BritishV8 Magazine!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 25, 2008 03:41PM

I count about 31 totally-finished new articles, plus another four or five that are close - and about 750 awesome photos!

That's the good news...

The bad news is that we can't afford to keep publishing this free online magazine without more funding. Suggestions?

If you've been thinking about advertising in BritishV8, now would be a real good time to call!
We need to finalize all new ad purchases before the new edition can "go live".
(BritishV8 ad rates are published here.)

Know a business that should be advertising in BritishV8? Please tell them so!
(Click here for a list of the companies who've bought ads within the last year.)

If you're thinking about making a financial contribution as a reader... please do.
(Click here. It will only take a second!)

You can always check the "VIP Contributors" page (which can be found under the "Contact" pull-down menu), to see if and when we received your previous contribution.

THANKS!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Coming Soon... Yet Another Edition of BritishV8 Magazine!
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 25, 2008 09:10PM

Let's go guys. Nothing is free. It's way easier to help with funding & referrals than pulling all the info together. Imagine the hours Curtis spends keeping this going!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 29, 2008 01:27PM

Okay, here's an update on the situation. From my point of view, the new edition is beyond finished.

It's grown. It includes 46 new articles, and together they feature 978 photos.
If you print it all out, single sided, you'll burn through a ream of paper (~446 8.5x11 pages).

Before November, I want to "link" the new table-of-contents into place and send out an announcement e-mail. (Two months late!) Our e-mail distribution list is currently 1050 addresses. People tell friends. Links get posted on message boards. We'll be flooded with website visitors for several weeks after I "announce" the new edition.

The good news: ten vendor sponsors have paid for ads in this edition. Also, we've got two new vendors with this edition.

The bad news: and the thing that's making this edition so late is that nine vendor sponsors haven't paid yet for ads they've committed to. The total outstanding balance comes to about $2500.

Hello!?! What's up with that? Six of these advertisers have committed to sponsoring specific articles or high-visibility website pages, which blocks other vendors from sponsoring those pages. The other three vendors are supposed to be getting back to me about exactly what they want. I can only make so many phone calls each day, because believe it or not I've got other commitments besides BritishV8.

So, what would you do in this situation if you were me?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 29, 2008 02:42PM

I dunno, threaten to name names? Accept credit card payments? The second suggestion is probably the better one.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 29, 2008 03:03PM

I accepted Visa and Mastercard until just a couple months ago - that helped - but the monthly fees were too high and I had to pay them year round. Paypal doesn't hit me with monthly fees, and their commission percentage really isn't bad...

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 29, 2008 06:24PM

Folks can still pay with a credit card through PayPal & there's no incremental fee to the payer in doing that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.