The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Roadmaster handoff check sheet
Posted by: danmas
Date: May 02, 2012 10:03PM

Gentlemen,

We need a check list for information to pass on to each new driver, information such as:

1. What the switches on the console are for.
2. How the air bag pump should be operated.
3. What octane gas to use.
4. Recomended tire pressures.
5. Notice that the manual choke knob is disconnected and how the choke operates.
6. Where the registration and insurance papers are stored.
7. Any warnings/peculiarities that should be noted.
8. Anything else you can think of.

I will be happy to print this info and have it laminated so we can keep it with the car and have it available for new drivers.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Roadmaster handoff check sheet
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 03, 2012 08:21AM

For the air ride, the brass button is the air bleed, the red button runs the compressor. Around 80 psi is appropriate, season to taste.
Compression is 8:1 at best so you can run whatever gas is the cheapest.
About 25 psi in the tires should be in the ballpark.
The choke is disconnected? Better check with Steve on that.
I think the papers should be in the console.

Jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 03, 2012 10:07AM

Great Idea Dan.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 03, 2012 03:51PM

Operating the choke...

To set the choke, press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor before starting the (cold) engine. This does three things. Firstly, it temporarily closes the choke butterflies. Secondly, it temporarily sets the throttle linkage to a fast-idle setting. Thirdly, it causes the carb's accelerator pump mechanism to squirt a bit of gasoline into the engine. (More than a few of us operate our own old V8s without a choke of any kind - we just use our accelerator pumps to richen the mixture for starting.) The choke mechanism is thermostatic, and it will turn itself off when the engine warms. If the idle speed seems too high, a blip of the throttle will usually reset the linkage to its regular throttle position.

From my brief experience with it, the Roadmaster typically starts easily and it's probably not all that critical whether drivers know this procedure or not. Idle speed isn't always perfect... but I certainly wouldn't call this beast fussy.

Anything else to note?

Fuel - The gauge will need some sorting out. The fuel gauge is apparently mismatched to the MG sensor. (This is a common problem, and NOT a hard one to live with.) The gauge is accurate at "full", but when it reads "half full" you should probably start seriously looking for a gas station!

Oil - The oil level needs to be checked at every single fill-up and frankly/ideally it should be checked more frequently then that. Currently, the Roadmaster seems to need about one quart of oil (20W50) at each fill-up. (I guess that depends on how far you go between fill-ups.) This should NOT be a cause for panic or derision. It's not at all uncommon for piston rings to take some time to develop a good seal to the cylinder bores. However, it IS important that the engine not be run empty. Don't forget to check the oil.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 03, 2012 04:24PM

Coolant: The surge tank should be 1/4 to 3/4 full. No more than that. If it makes a gurgling or bubbling sound right after shut off the level is acceptable. If it does not, it needs to be checked. The tank holds a reserve of up to a gallon of extra coolant above and beyond normal system requirements.We have had no problems with heat management once the timing was sorted out, and should have no problems.

However, the bulb type thermostatic switch that controls the fan leaves something to be desired. It seemed to me that it had too much hysteresis, such that setting it so the fan came on at a reasonable temp meant it also ran excessively after the ignition was turned off, draining the battery. Possibly, clamping the bulb to the radiator tank in some way (heavy aluminum "speed tape" perhaps) might improve operation.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: May 03, 2012 09:00PM

The spare key is located underneath, in the back on, held on by a nut, unless someone has changed that. Did the speedo get calibrated? Apparently an resistor can be added to the fuel gage to get it to read closer.

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: May 04, 2012 07:51AM

I used an adjustable potentiometer (adjustable resistor) for the gauge on my Kawasaki Concours. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it right but works great.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 04, 2012 12:27PM

I think it would be a nice gesture if the Roadmaster was handed off to the next driver with a full tank of fuel.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 04, 2012 01:41PM

Rick, I heartily agree with that. Seems like the right thing to do, pay for what you use and not for anyone elses. Some of us will have a heavier foot I think and get a bit less mileage! ;-) That is especially good for the Power Tour where you may not have a lot of time to fill up in the morning before we head out. Just top it off the night before you hand off.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: May 09, 2012 04:09PM

What oil should we use? 5W-40? brand?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 09, 2012 05:26PM

I think 10w-40 was pretty standard for those year engines, and our oil pressure looks OK with it. I don't think we should go any thinner than that though, as we really didn't go to any great lengths to minimize bearing clearances. As for what type, as far as I'm concerned as long as it is a good quality oil and we add sufficient zinc to prevent cam wear, any brand should be about the same as any other, for as long as the engine is still using oil. Once it finishes breaking in and oil consumption drops off maybe we should think about synthetics.

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 09, 2012 06:05PM

I put Valvoline VR1 20W50 in it. High in Zinc/Phosphorus.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 10, 2012 01:56PM

The spare tire will nly fit the rear. there are lug nuts for the spare in a plastic bag with the spare.

Steve

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 14, 2012 08:30AM

To jack the car up: Put the block of wood under the jack. Put the jack under the sill near the tire to be changed (rear tire only). Jack the car up. If a front flat you must change the rear first as the spare will not fit the front. Under the sills works for front or rear.

steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.