The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
So is this really the way it is now?
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: October 01, 2014 02:17AM

I was on my way to work this morning and I came to a stop at a traffic light. Which is perfectly normal and to be expected from time to time.
Upon my light turning green, I was presented with a young lady to my right making a left turn through her red light.
Fortunately she was fully engrossed in a cel phone call so the impending collision was not a concern.
Upon re-entry into reality she realized that she was in my lane and began to wave me off with her free hand.
This left her without any control of the steering wheel so she was forced to stop or run into me.
Now I was selfishly blocking her progress in the wrong lane so she saluted me with the traditional #1
I exited my truck and snapped a picture of the situation on my phone. To which she said What the f&%k are you doing?
I said just recording you, on your phone, with no hands on the wheel, in the oncoming lane, through a red light.
She said this is bullsh$%t you're in my way!
So I sent the picture to our local police department.
Probably nothing will come of it but I feel better for doing something.
Is this what we are to expect from the "entitled generation"?
My Dad would have kicked my ass from here to Tuesday if I had performed like that.
My kids, I would hope, have more sense and style than that.
But who knows?
You have to set them free and hope that they absorbed enough of the better parts of your world.
To make them good people. It worries me because I'm sure that this young lady's parents feel the same way.
So where does this leave us? I'm interested in the responses of my peers of course. But what about the younger generations?
I know that you are out there. What do you have to say?

Live like you mean it.
Fred

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: So is this really the way it is now?
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 01, 2014 12:04PM

Yeah, sadly that's the way it is these days.

I was in my MGB (top down, of course) turning left with a green left turn arrow. I always thought that meant I had the right of way. Well the lady coming the other way wanted to turn right without stopping first. Since I didn't back down she had to, screaming at me the whole time. I wanted to pull over & explain the traffic rules about right of way, but I decided to just enjoy the beautiful fall day & kept on motoring. Safety Faster!

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(324 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: October 01, 2014 09:01PM

A buddy at work was driving down I-5 one morning with a lady tail gating him in a SUV. He looked in the rear view mirror and noticed that she was applying make-up while talking on a cell phone ( now that's multi-tasking LOL) with a Mocha on the dash.
As they approached Seattle, traffic can to a stop and my buddy looked in the mirror to see the paniced lady slamming on her brakes and as she did so the Mocha splattered all over the inside of her windshield!
It was so bad that she had to pull off the freeway to clean the inside of windshield!
We all still get a good chuckle out that story to this day and I would like to think she learned something.LOL

Bill

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: October 02, 2014 02:04PM

I was WALKING back to work from lunch one day. At the traffic light near the main entrance to the State Capitol complex, I started walking across on the crosswalk with the little man lit up, then the number counting, beeping, etc. Well, a beat up Cherokee comes busting it down to the red light with no intention of stopping, but he had to since I was there. He had a woman and a child in the car and he was cussing me out the window, yelling, "It's Right on Red!!!"

I yelled back, "After Stop!" and we repeated the exchange a couple of times. I still don't think he got it that he was supposed to A: stop on the red light before making a right and B: Yield to pedestrians no matter what.

Just yesterday driving my TR4A I had a tractor trailer crowd me into the median. He was pissed because I was only doing 70 in a 60.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 05, 2014 01:08PM

Yeah, but you live in West Virginia. (He,he,he.)

Jim

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: October 28, 2014 07:32PM

ENTITLED GENERATION

Fred, great new term - Entitled Generation. Question ..... do the Entitled Generation come before or after the Millenials ?

You see them every day here in Kansas City, too.

KC

phillip g

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2014 08:20PM

I don't think it matters Phillip.
If you ask. They'll just ignore you and carry on with whatever self important function of the moment that is holding their attention right now.
Did that sound bitter?
Oh well, it's time for my medicine ( scotchy scotch)

Live like you mean it.
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2014 08:35PM

Personally, I feel like I should be entitled to whatever part of the road I happen to be on or headed towards. Got that attitude riding the back seat of Dad's "3 ton Ferrari station wagon" (Ford LTD) over Gauley and Sewell Mountains between Charleston and Lewisburg on family visits. Don't know why nobody else seems to see it my way though. Does this qualify me to be part of the Entitled Generation? I Sooo want to belong... ;)

Jm

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 29, 2014 02:38PM

I also feel entitled to all of a two lane road & as fast as I want to go until there is someone coming the other way, After all, it is our God-given, constitutional right to get a speeding ticket! ;)

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: October 30, 2014 10:32AM

Generation? I encounter ignorant a-holes of all ages and genders on a regular basis! I'm younger than most of you guys, and I'm the nicest guy and best driver I know! ;')

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: October 30, 2014 01:36PM

BS Ryan, you are getting old like the rest of us.:-) Over the years, I 've found that maybe 10% of the A-Holes get 100% of the attention and ruin everything the other 90%. The world is full of great people, but they do their thing quitely and no one notices them, It is the Bad Apples that get all the Press. SAFETY FASTER!

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: October 30, 2014 02:22PM

Ha ha, so true Kelly! (all of it!)

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 30, 2014 03:52PM

So if I'm bad and smash things (press) can I be a member?

Jim

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 30, 2014 08:54PM

I know, I know.
The other 90% of us assholes want some attention too! ;-)

Live like you mean it
Fred

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: November 13, 2014 09:26AM

The driving behavior of some folks is just hard to figure but my take on it is, the more enraged the response on the part of the "other" driver, the more likely they were in the wrong. I offer this example.

So I'm headed downtown yesterday, a route which takes me past the local high school just as it was letting out for the day. To help with the traffic flow, there's always a local sheriff on duty helping to direct folks and keep things moving. I'm following a young lady in a black Subaru who is, in turn following a school bus. Now, I don't know how it is where you live, but here (Vermont) you are required to stop (both directions) if the bus has it's flashers on, as did this one.

To my utter amazement, the gal int the Subaru pulls out and around the bus with it's lights on, into the oncoming traffic, and directly in front of the officer directing traffic. That someone wasn't injured or killed is utterly incredible. The officer immediately pulls her to the side of the road where she exits her car and proceeds to get up in and in the his face. "What was she thinking?" doesn't begin to help me understand what was going through her mind at the time. Although, from appearances, it couldn't have been very much.

Epilogue—I wasn't able to find out what the fine was for illegally passing a school bus but did discover that a violator is assessed 5 points against their license, making it one of the egregious offenses our DMV lists. Have to believe the fine is going to be whopper and wouldn't be entirely surprised to find out she wound up cooling her heels as a guest of the state for the altercation with the officer.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: November 13, 2014 11:26AM

I'm that in most (should be all) states that unless there is a divided median or something, traffic absolutely has to stop in both directions. Otherwise, what's the point?

Okay, here it is:

[www.nasdpts.org]

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: December 03, 2014 11:37AM

As "we", the almost silent majority, notice the brave new world, "me" generation, what has been lost in our society, and will it recover ? Onward-cautiously, roverman.

mgbman
Marshall de Leon
Salem, Oregon
(54 posts)

01/15/2014 11:43PM

Main British Car:
Mark 2 Jaguar Chevrolet 350

Posted by: mgbman
Date: March 01, 2015 12:19PM

Fred,
I am sorry.....I do not follow your original posting! What is a cell phone?
Is it my age catching up on me? I still have a phone that sits on the wall; whenever I want to call someone I turn the handle on the side a few times and an operator comes on to ask me who I wish to speak to......so, now...a cell phone?????
Seriously though, it is a sign of the times.....and becoming more and more prevalent...but, there are still some good young 'uns out there....don't give up hope.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.