The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

bulletpruf
Scott W.

(2 posts)

04/18/2015 08:41PM

Main British Car:

New Guy - Moving to Italy - Alpine V-8?
Posted by: bulletpruf
Date: April 18, 2015 08:52PM

Fellas -

I'm active duty Army. Currently stationed in Korea. Moving to Italy (Naples) in June. Will need something with character to drive back and forth to work, up and down the Amalfi coast, etc. We're bringing the wife's 2013 SUV, so we'll have something reliable for trips.

Budget is $30k U.S. or so. Considering cars like Fiat Dino Coupe, Alfa Romeo GTV 1750/2000, Maserati Merak, Ferrari 308 GT4, Jensen Interceptor, etc. Love Alfa Montreals, Maserati Bora, Panteras, 308 GTS, etc, but they are out of my price range. If I get something newer, it would probably be a Lancia Delta Integrale HF.

I will have a garage and a thorough assortment of tools. Am fairly capable and can handle just about anything, including engine and transmission rebuilds, etc. My fabrication skills aren't great, but I have a MIG setup/drill press/grinders, etc, and looking for an excuse to buy a plasma cutter, TIG, etc.

Anyway, I've always wanted a Sunbeam Tiger, but a driver Tiger is out of my price range. I like the lines on the Alpines, but am underwhelmed by the stock drivetrain. I could buy an Alpine and do the swap myself, but I'm looking for something that's ready to go. Anyone know of reasonbly priced (but solid) Tiger or Alpine clone for sale in Europe? If you have other suggestions on cars to look for, let me know that, too.

Thanks!

Scott

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Re: New Guy - Moving to Italy - Alpine V-8?
Posted by: DonB
Date: April 25, 2015 07:10PM

Hi Scott,

Drove an Alpine 50 miles a day for 6 years and loved it... but British spares were impossible... and that was some years ago and couldn't be any better now. Living in Italy, shouldn't you be looking for something in the Fiat family? Fiat spyder Pinnaferina perhaps? Good news... with strong dollar against the Euro now, and parts availability (FIAT = Fix It Again Tony) should help resolve your need/desire to work on a car.

Seriously, We all appreciate what you're doing for our country... and wish you many happy Italian miles!

Bones

bulletpruf
Scott W.

(2 posts)

04/18/2015 08:41PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: bulletpruf
Date: April 25, 2015 07:30PM

Bones -

Too bad on the spares, but scrounging for parts can be fun (and frustrating!). Just not when it's your daily driver.

Would love to have European styling + American V8, but am looking at the Italian cars as well. Top 3 at this point are probably the Fiat Dino 2.4 (built at Maranello alongside the 246's; same engine), Alfa GTV 1750/2000, and Lancia Delta Integrale.

Thanks,

Scott

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: April 26, 2015 09:25AM

Quote:
Anyway, I've always wanted a Sunbeam Tiger, but a driver Tiger is out of my price range.
Scott,
Have you considered something like a Ford 302 efi powered MGB like this one belonging to Kelly Stevenson it's a beautiful conversion currently for sale (for somewhere around $15K)- - MGB and Ford parts are readily available parts sold globally.
[www.britishv8.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.