The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Chump Car Series/ road racing for chump change
Posted by: roverman
Date: January 31, 2010 01:23PM

So if IMSA or SCCA is "matter", then this series is definately, "anti-matter". I suggest "peeping" their webb-site. Endurance road racing at the, sub grass-roots level. Held at notable raceways all over US, even in Canada ! I'm distant related to, "Smokey and the Banditos"team, started is racing life as a $250 Firebird,(almost) like the one Burt Renolds used. He has'nt asked to sponsor the team...yet. $500. "max" value of car. Org. can buy and auction your car for $1500 at any time, helps reduce thr "ringers". Serious adult fun for "kids' milk money ! roverman.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Chump Car Series/ road racing for chump change
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 31, 2010 01:50PM

Link?

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: January 31, 2010 02:51PM

No, It's Art. Jim and all, I "googled" ,Chump Car Series. Might be a fun thing for the "forum", with a clapped-out, British something. Quit covertly, mi compadres and I are stratigizing for a "fresh" approach. A rather small Civic had "Hayabusa" power, and ran stong. roverman

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: January 31, 2010 11:10PM

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 01, 2010 09:18AM

Well I see they have a race at Putnam Park the weekend of my birthday (Sept 11) so I put it on the calendar. Should be worth watching at least.

JB

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: March 08, 2010 11:16PM

RealNuttyMotorsportFans,

Speaking of Chump Cars !

This weekend two Chump Car owners moved their Chump Car into a vacant spot in my garage. In exchange for moving a B rolling chassis from my garage to a body shop miles away, they "negotiated' to leave behind their Chump car TEMPORARILY while my spare B rolling chassis was to be put to use as a mule for 4 corners of RV8 fender flare work. (The B is, of course, the same as the Heritage chassis of the RV8.)

Now more on the Chump Car.....7 0wners ! & 7 Drivers! On the 1st. weekend in August 2010 at Hallet Motor Speedway in Hallet, OK these same 7 owner/drivers plan to race the 24 hour Chump Car race at Hallett.

You will not believe their Chump Car - to them, a real attempt to meet the letter and intent of the Chump Car rules. Ya'gotta read the rules ! I did and I am beginning to have a very deep appreciation for this type of racing. Car and Driver magazine recently did a very complete article on their attempt at a 24 hour Chump Car race in California. Check it out.

The Chump Car in my garage - temporarily - is a 1974 Opel Ascona (?) - an ex mini car/poney stocker, dirt track car. They bought it - as a group - for $400.00 and the only thing of value was the roll cage - actually, a complete tube-frame/roll cage with Opel body panels attached. It also came with an Opel cam-in-head 4 cylinder enginer and complete drive train, racing seat, gauges, some lites, full Opel brakes & suspension - and that is about it.

The body work is awful - but perfect to the letter for a Chump Car - for if you didn't know ... the rules say that any car can be claimed for $1,500.00. So you better not show up with a tricked-out racer that can out run everyone, for you will lose big with the claiming rules. First prize is $2,000.00, 2nd is $700.00 - but we're talking about 24 hours of racing ! Bring as many drivers as you want and most will get many hours of lap times.

I know that the guys who have joined the group are dedicated racers who have committed to sharing all expenses and will have the time of their life at Hallett in early August, this Summer.

There is still a lot of work to do to get the car ready for the 24 hours and I have a feeling the car will be moved to many garages for race prep. For the time being ...I am very proud to have it in my garage and welcome the visits by the owners to do various projects on the car. I am a blessed racing fan !

I will post some photos of the Opel 24 Hour Hallett Racer soon.

Keep them on the track

Phillip G

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.