The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Michelotti Special?
Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: December 26, 2015 02:08PM

Post Christmas ramble of project thoughts.

I've always liked early Alfa's and used to have a few, but the classics have gone to crazy pricing.
An utterly project Giulia is now over $10K!

So I'm musing that I've got a beat up round-tail Spitfire Mk. III with title, and a complete 2.0 Alfa Romeo drive-train on webers.
The body IS by Michelotti and pretty light.
Thinking this could be fun in a no it's NOT another "I wanna' be a Cobra clone" sort of way.
Adequate power and lots of the right sort of mechanical noise without being too overpowered.

I have a complete Spitfire drive-train with overdrive and GT-6 brakes for an upgrade so of course that would be the simple route to go, giving me two mostly stock Spitfires.

I originally wanted to put the Alfa bits into a Bug-Eye Sprite with a Kellison front end.
Time seems to have nixed that idea as a Bug-Eye shell is no longer cheap and Kellison front ends are now made of Unicorn horn.

I'm already working on the Trick-6, Spitfire 1500, a '68 El Camino, and '74 Alfa Spider when not keeping the Land Rover Classic running.
So I know I need another project like a hole in the head!
But this keeps calling to me, I find myself checking CL looking for useful parts.

Anyone have a cure for me?
I've also still got the Tatum Crusader molds and the CMC Bugatti/VW kit as well as my old Series II Land Rover 88" to restore.
Maybe I should write this out more often, seems the best way to remember that I do not have another twenty years to do them all AND get to drive them.

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Re: Michelotti Special?
Posted by: tbo
Date: December 29, 2015 07:57PM

Time is all you've got. Pick the one you Love!

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 29, 2015 09:06PM

That is a problem.
Before a flood I had fifteen classic cars, none of which can be replaced at their current prices.
Now I have "too many" projects, but none that I want to part with from this list.
At least not for the pittance I would get for them as projects.

The only happy answer seems to be sudden wealth so that I may hire assistance.
I have at least stopped buying more, recently passed on a Porsche 914 ex-racer with full cage, and a really cheap Corvette.

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Posted by: tbo
Date: December 31, 2015 07:41PM

Hello Richard. If you don't mind my asking ,,,how did you get a flood in Nevada? Isn't that a kind of dry state. I apologize before hand if I'm being too inquisitive Tim

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 31, 2015 08:16PM

Flood happened before I escaped from Kalifornia.

Entirely preventable incident, the county Kommissars misappropriated flood control funds for other PC purposes that would help them to be reelected and to immortalize themselves on granite monuments at the "Light Rail" facility.

I found the way OUT of San Jose!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: January 11, 2016 07:11PM

Unfortunately, we are NOT the "Winchester House" ! In other words,If we keep constructing and are never finished, we "still" die. Old lady Winchester found out, the hard way. Like you, I am cursed with too many cars/projects, of my own un-doing. The bitter pill is choosing, which car lives or dies.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 12, 2016 10:51PM

I'm working from the theory of imminent wealth and being able to hire some help. ;-)

I've given up some fantastic cars in the past, Jag XKE, Aluminum bodied Jag XK-120, Noble P4, Alfa Guilia Spider Veloce, and an Ultima, for a few examples.
Basically putting my foot down, no more letting cars go to regret later.
Sure the state will send whatever is not completed to scrap but at that point I will be beyond caring.

Have a stock Spitfire that will probably be sold in the spring but not willing to give it away to some wanna-be low-ball dealer.

dbeliveau
Daniel Beliveau
Manchester NH
(33 posts)

07/18/2015 07:41PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph Stag, 1972 Ford 302 1974 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907 stroked to 2.2 Ltr,

authors avatar
Posted by: dbeliveau
Date: June 18, 2016 10:55PM

Richard
Keep your chin up you are among kindred spirits. I myself was bitten by the bug in 1973 when I purchased my first car a 1962 Sunbeam Harrington Le-mans. Had leads on a XK 120, 59 Vette, 57 T-bird and a MGA, (each was about a grand at the time) bought a 57 Chevy and a 32 Chevy, wanted to build custom cars kinda be the George Barris of the East Coast, but college and finances got in the way. then the army and then a family, did manage to own a couple of Spitfires, an AH 3000, a 69 Mach I and a 71 Cutlass Convertible and a 260Z . Now all the kids are grown (sort of) so I am working on a Stag with Ford 302 project which needs much sorting out, and a Jensen Healey with a Lotus twin cam making 217 HP which was built in 1993 and needs a bit of work also. I still find myself coming up with ideas for new builds, like a rotary Spit and an AH 3000 replica built on a TR6 frame with Japanese twin cam straight 6 (I just imagine the music of that engine coming through a SS AH 3000 exhaust)!! Also a 30's pick up on a modern 4x4 chassis. So I've got to focus on the 2 birds that are in hand. After looking around this forum it seems like I'm in good company!!
Hope to meet some of you in Elkins 2017.
Cheers,
Dan
1973_triumph_stagmod7a-.jpeg
Triumph_stag_0708topdown-rearmod24qsmpx shd(1024 x 768).jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.