The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TooWoo4s
John Farnsworth

(2 posts)

03/01/2010 05:51PM

Main British Car:

Looking For Information on the Shenton Fog
Posted by: TooWoo4s
Date: March 01, 2010 06:25PM

Hi, My name is John and in the early 1980's I sold and delivered a load of dressed Ash hardwood to a man named T. Shenton in Shelburne Vt. for use in his handmade automobiles. These cars were given the tag Shenton Fog.
Upon delivering the hardwood, I was privy to a tour of the small garage where production of three cars was under way. These unique autos were powered by a Maserati Biturbo engine, featured two seat open touring configuration and a very unique boat tail (for which the ash was utilised) boot in which was found a handwoven cane picnic basket with Wembley china and crystal champagne glasses. The bodywork was being hand formed on oak and elm molds in the back yard by peening and heating. Two gentlemen with very serious looks and thick as porridge corkney accents were performing this task. Since that day day, I have been unable to find info on these cars (which, I was told were being delivered to a Saudi oil Sheik).
Has anyone any word to share or further provenance on these truly unique cars?
I'd appreciate any word.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2010 08:04PM by TooWoo4s.

smithb@pocketputter.com
Byron Smith

(1 posts)

03/14/2011 02:04PM

Main British Car:

Re: Looking For Information on the Shenton Fog
Posted by: smithb@pocketputter.com
Date: March 14, 2011 09:13PM

Hi John
I was looking around to see if anything was still on the web about the Shenton Fog. When I was in high school I helped build this car. My father Woody Smith did the wood work and Tivvy Shenton did the metal work. We did finish the car but never sold it or produced any more. The person that financed the car still has it. I drove it a couple years ago. It's still a head turner and very fun to drive. I will post a picture later.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 14, 2011 09:55PM

Quote:
My father Woody Smith did the wood work and Tivvy Shenton did the metal work.

Small world! We greatly enjoyed meeting Tivvy and touring his new shop (in Danville Virginia) as part of our BritishV8 2009 annual meet. A small portion of Tivvy's bio is included in this article: Tivvy Shenton's Jaguar XK140 Fixed Head Coupe Racecar. While researching that article, I asked Tivvy about his work on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I didn't know to ask him about the Shenton Fog project. Please post pictures!

alden
Alden Jewell

(2 posts)

04/30/2011 03:37PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: alden
Date: April 30, 2011 03:48PM

I have an original brochure and more than a dozen photos of the Shenton Fog when it was displayed at a Los Angeles auto show in 1985 (see attachment). I'll be happy to scan and email others to you if you'll provide an email address. You can contact me at aldenjewell@yahoo.com.
Alden Jewell
Yuba City CA, U.S.A.
Shenton Fog Photo 1.jpg

alden
Alden Jewell

(2 posts)

04/30/2011 03:37PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: alden
Date: April 30, 2011 03:58PM

Here are scans of the Shenton Fog brochure from 1985.
Shenton Fog brochure inner pages.jpg
Shenton Fog brochure covers.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.