The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: For those who drive them: Insurance
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 11, 2010 07:42PM

Retirement accounts? Don't think so, Rob. Get your drift, though.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 11, 2010 09:55PM

Guys, several of you are contributors to the MGB-Roadmaster project, which is on track to be completed in time for next year's V8 meet. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could take turns driving it around the neighborhood? Now it is obvious to me that any one of you are far more expert on the topic of insurance than I am, but I'm quite convinced that what with the fact that business fleets, rental cars and such are able to obtain insurance that somewhere out there is a policy which will allow us to do just that. I'm not the person to be working on that part of the problem. There are some things I do well and some that I do poorly, this is in the second category, and I don't think you want me doing this for a whole bunch of really good reasons. Somebody else is going to have to step up, maybe a bunch of somebodies.

So what do you say? Can you find us that policy?

JB

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 12, 2010 07:37PM

refresh my memory Jim, how was the group set up? Was it set up as a non-profit org? LLC? I'll volunteer to get the insurance info but will need to know if the car will be registered under a person's name or?

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 12, 2010 10:13PM

"Was it set up as a non-profit org? LLC?"

Yes.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 14, 2010 12:26PM

Rob, Carl is correct. The organization,"British American Deviant Automotive Sports-car Society, LLC is registered in the state of Kentucky as a non-profit organization or NLC. (B.A.D.A.S.S.,LLC for short) Probably the extension on the name should be corrected to reflect the non-profit status but I've not spent enough time on it to see how to do that properly. Maybe over the winter I can do that.

The organization is a separate legal entity in and of itself, and the car is titled in the name of the organization.

Of the several possible options out there, some we might check into could include such things as fleet insurance, rental properties, and the posting of a bond. A creative agent should be able to come up with others. I see no reason for us to consider ourselves to be bound by traditional concepts as long as we achieve the goals of allowing our contributors to drive the car and limiting liabilities in the event of a mishap. The risks should be much lower than those faced by a car rental agency. Consider, each of our contributors, possibly without exception, are low risk policy owners with similar cars. With the exception of annual meets, only one specific contributor will be driving and in possession of the car at any given time, and each possessor is duty bound to confirm the integrity of the car both upon taking and delivering the car, the equivalent of a dozen safety inspections per year. We can easily provide the agency with a chain of possession in advance so that they can confirm the stats of each member in a given year's rotation schedule. We can require that the car be delivered back to the organization at each year's annual meet for an annual inspection, and we can limit the uses of the car at the annual meet to autocrosses and meet related driving by specific members if needed.

JB

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: August 14, 2010 04:54PM

Spoken as a true attorney, Boss!

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: September 09, 2010 09:28PM

When I had my car insured with Grundy, the policy spelled out very clearly in large letters what the limitations on usage were. I just went through my collector car insurance policy with State Farm with a fine toothed comb, looking for the paragraph that listed these restrictions, and couldn't find any. Called my agent and she confirmed that there aren't any, just that the car can't be a "primary use" vehicle. The only official statement of that is on the renewal form, where it lists the "agreed" value. It simply states:

"Ordinary us of vehicle....
Limited use antique/classic"

Yahoo! I'm going to drive that baby now. It still won't be a daily driver, but it will get a lot more use.

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: September 10, 2010 07:48AM

Dan:
I've had all my cars and motorcycles insured with State Farm (Canada) for thirty plus years. When I approached my agent to insure my MGB v8 conversion I was told that they would not insure it as it was not a stock vehicle.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 10, 2010 08:32AM

great news Dan - enjoy the new found freedom!

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: September 10, 2010 12:22PM

Phil,

When I insured mine, I had to send the agent a bunch of pictures of the car and a detailed written description of the modifications (they had a standard form to fill out for that). You might want to try them again, maybe they've changed thier policy recently. Or, perhaps, it's just the difference between the Canadian SF and the American SF. Or maybe Canadian law has something to do with it.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: September 10, 2010 11:19PM

If our cars were to be put under a magnifying glass just like the state of Virginia have started to do with muscle cars and modifications, then a claim could be denied. For example, my front end says "FOR RACING ONLY" and all my four wheels have disc brakes that says "NOT DOT APPROVED"; in the event of an accident that lets say I would have caused and the liability cost ran seriously high to the insurance. Of course, I would also have convinced the insurance to cover my MG for $25,000.00 and demanded to be compensated for my total lost at the same time. I believe that I may be in for a serious fight with the insurance company.

The adjuster shows up and notices the above mentioned “disclaimer markings” on the modified parts and about a week later, I get a letter in the mail stating that all claims are being denied. I take the insurance company to court but the judge rules that the insurance company gave me coverage in good faith by assumption that the car met all of the Virginia DOT laws. Therefore he renders a judgment against me in lieu of a deceiving and dishonest contract in my part.

This is a two fold issue, “liability” and “comprehensive” coverage. I could live with the total lost of my ride but liability suit may ruin my life.

Call me paranoid but, I have played these scenarios in my head many times over and I came to these conclusions; keep the coverage simple, such as in the NADA collector car book value; second, avoid as much as possible “NON DOT” approved parts (I have too many of those) or marked “FOR RACING ONLY” (I also have one of those), try in using the old school hot-rodding approach by adapting other car(s) DOT approved parts. And last, hope for the best that these parts mentioned above is not noticed by the insurance adjuster.

I’m not an expert in the ramification of automobile modification, but, I know that most of us walk a fine line; the truth is that insurance company by nature will go to great extreme to deny any claim in the first place, we’ve all gone through some agitating business; they don’t play fair and hire better lawyers.

I’ve read most of your postings and I must say that it revived some of my concerns; maybe, someone will come up with some applicable wisdom and guide line for all of us to follow. Other than that, Dan got it right by saying “take your chances”

My two cents!
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.