The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

old3
james economou

(3 posts)

09/04/2010 02:48AM

Main British Car:

Rolls Royce Van Der Plas???
Posted by: old3
Date: September 04, 2010 03:01AM

Hello, new member here from the Northeastern USA. Not really well versed in British cars but I recently found a project car, (its been sitting for years in a local driveway), that seems quite an odd ball. Its clearly showing Rolls Royce badging on the trunklid, the hood ornament, the steering wheel and wheel covers but its a Van-Der Plas model. My research shows these were a joint built car between BMC and Austin using a RR engine but I can find no evidence of a version specifically badged as a Rolls. Anyone have any knowledge of a RRoyce version sold as a RRoyce?

It seems factory produced, the trunk lid, for example has a rectangular RR badge and lacks the Austin handle in the center. Everything Labeling RR seems factory installed and not added on after original purchase.

Thank you all for any info regarding this vehicle.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Re: Rolls Royce Van Der Plas???
Posted by: alana
Date: September 05, 2010 09:30PM

Not the white one in NJ is it?

old3
james economou

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 12, 2010 03:47PM

2 tone, blue and silver. Is this a "real" Rolls? I guess its not a rare a bird as I suspected? Thanks, Jim.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: September 15, 2010 11:09PM

It's an Austin iirc but with a Rolls engine.

old3
james economou

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 22, 2010 12:09AM

I read the history on the model but never found one labeled as a Rolls, this one clearly is, looks original too. Thanks!

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Posted by: kerbau53
Date: September 29, 2010 06:56AM

I believe you are looking at a Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R. Basically an Austin Princess with a RR 6 cyl OHV engine sourced from a British Army jeep as I recall. My dad bought one in 1966 and drove it for 30+ years. I can't speak to rust issues as the car was garaged it's whole life. It can easily keep up with modern traffic although the auto box is a bit clunky by todays standards. Suspension is lever damper front and rear. Leaf spring rear. Lower wishbones require MGB V8 bushes with the steel sleeve removed. Interior would be a bit pricey to redo properly.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 29, 2010 11:00AM

Much of the history of the Vanden Plas company and its associations with Austin and with Rolls Royce is contained in this article about a later model in the series: The Vanden Plas Princess 3-litre MkII

These two paragraphs are especially relevant:
Quote:
In 1952, Austin became part of the British Motor Corporation ("BMC"), and from 1956, Vanden Plas cars were no longer badged "Austin" because BMC considered the Vanden Plas name more upscale and entirely sufficient on its own.

As if this decision about badging wasn't confusing enough, however, BMC also decided to simultaneously offer two entirely different Vanden Plas "Princess" models. The 4-litre Princess would continue indefinitely... and in 1959, Vanden Plas introduced an entirely new and more modern 3-litre "Princess". The 3-litre Princess was also a luxury automobile, but it was better suited for a member of parliament than for a member of the royal family. During the 3-litre Princess's seven year production life, 12,703 examples were built.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 11:04AM by Moderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.