The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Bow
Scott Bowen
NW Houston, TX
(3 posts)

11/01/2010 10:41AM

Main British Car:
Nissan KA24DE

New to the forum
Posted by: Bow
Date: November 02, 2010 09:01PM

Hello All,

Very interesting forum with very nice cars.

I'm Bow (like Bow and Arrow, not the command, or the front of the ship), I live over here in Houston, TX.

I have an engine, it needs a car... but the car has to be "Cute" enough to get approval from the Boss/War Department/Wife.

The engine is a Nissan KA24DE (2.4L, DOHC, EFI, Iron block, Aluminum head) that I have rebuilt for 11:1 compression, 3 angle valve job, cams, Tri-Y header, and home-brewed intake manifold, individual throttle bodies, etc....The engine came out of my '91 Nissan 240SX, which has a '95 KA24DE since I installed it back in the spring of 2000.

Here is my "Garage Art" that needs a home:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/5139187445_77267b63ec.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5139187461_6d7755af45.jpg

Here is the kicker... I need a chassis.

Now I have had dreams/thoughts of everything from a '27 Track-T to a Homebrew Lotus 7 clone (Locost 7)... Old 70's Datsun 610 (hard to find, and I don't like 510s) or something of British/European origins...

The wife and I were at the Conroe, TX swap meet this past weekend. We saw a Datsun 710 Station Wagon ( I had instant thoughts of converting it to a sedan delivery, she couldn't see it), an MGB and a Fiat Spyder. She was digging the styles of the MGB and the Fiat, but neither of us want a convertible (her for her hair, and I don't want the chassis flex).

So I was wondering what you all might have for chassis suggestions from the 60's-70's era.

I like the Triumph GT6 and the MG GT style cars, and they got a "cute" remark, so I might go that route. I realize the dropping a 4 into a Car with a stock 6 may tweak some, but I thought I might ask the experts anyway.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have, and I think you all have some very cool cars, I've been lurking for a couple days...

Thanks

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: New to the forum
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 02, 2010 11:55PM

Hi Bow... what part of Houston? I'm in Cypress & spend more than my share of time up at Conroe.

MGB GT's & Triumph GT6's would both be great candidates. Check out Todd Budde's B/GT on the photo gallery page. Also look at Dan Master's car and Mike Maloney's for some different body styling ideas. I like GT 6's better (sorry guys) but they're way less common so probably cost a bit more. They're also a good bit smaller so aren't as comfortable for a lot of people.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 03, 2010 12:52AM

In terms of chassis flex, I believe an MGB roadster (which is a unibody car) beats a GT6 hands down. The GT6 is only marginally stiffer than a Spitfire because the roof doesn't contribute much and because both Triumph models share the same skinny little frame. However, a Triumph TR7 ("The Shape of Things to Come") is easily the stiffest of all these models. Steel roof. Plenty of engine compartment room. With some work, the suspension is best of breed too. TR7 quality is variable, but you're going to replace the engine and the electrical system anyhow, right? Bonus: they don't cost much.

Bow
Scott Bowen
NW Houston, TX
(3 posts)

11/01/2010 10:41AM

Main British Car:
Nissan KA24DE

Posted by: Bow
Date: November 03, 2010 07:28AM

Curtis and Rob,

Thanks for the replies.

Rob.. I'm actually on the south edge of Cypress, Huffmiester and 290, I live on the Houston side of Huffmiester.

I'll go look at the photos. I'm 6'4", so I was wondering about room in the interior...

Curtis,
The TR7.. I thought about that one, but I already have a pointy car, my '91 Nissan 240sx Fastback. so I'm not sure if it will pass the "cute" check of the wife... see gets involved in my projects cosmetically.

Wow, I would have thought a GT6 would be stiffer than a MG, but now that you said it, it seems the frame photos of the Triumphs that I have seen are a lot more narrow....

Yes, I plan of swapping the Engine and transmission. The Transmission will be a Nissan 5-speed from a 240SX as well. Wiring will be gone through as part of it as well. I am an Avionic Technician by trade, so wiring should be pretty easy.

Thanks again for the information

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 07:30AM by Bow.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: November 07, 2010 02:24PM

To put that engine into an MGB, you're going to face the same challenges that faced the engineers at Abingdon when they built the MGC.

Crossmember clearance, bonnet clearance, weight distribution, front suspension (the MGC ended up with a torsion bar fron suspension) , etc.

I think it would be an AWESOME conversion, though!

Sidebar....does it make your skin crawl when someone calls your British car "cute"? It does mine!

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Posted by: jim0899
Date: November 08, 2010 11:33PM

Bow,

Welcome. Nice job on the engine. It is truly a "thing of beauty". I had 2 Opel GT's (I sold both of them in 2008), you're 4 banger would look good in the engine compartment of the Opel. You might have to move the driver's seat all the way back though, because the interior is a bit tight.

Jim Willenbrink
Blue Opel 005.jpg
Opel 010.jpg

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 11:08PM by jim0899.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.