The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: British V8 2014, what if ?
Posted by: mowog1
Date: June 16, 2012 12:19PM

Personally, I do not want to coinicide with a big event.

These events are like a homecoming.

We don't need other distractions.

As for alternating locations...it takes volunteers willing to work on these events two to three years in advance. They don't happen overnight.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: British V8 2014
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: June 16, 2012 01:30PM

The work load is tremendous and time frame seems to be 2 Years +. Bill Y. has been involved for over 2 years on the 2013 event.
I have not helped in a V8 event , but just getting the Shreveport La. Rendevous set up and price agreed on the 1 night hotel took quite a bit of time and effort. The job done in the past by our volunteers has been great and all are to congratulated, especially Emily Fulton and maybe Max:). Having our event with another could be OK if not running concurrently. The meet Dan had in Townsend began after the Blount Co. Club had their show. Usually there are adequate events to keep us busy and not having another venue to split us up is a plus. Thanks to anyone that is willing to devote enough time and effort to host any futre events!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 16, 2012 02:09PM

Sometimes it works out to schedule our meets back-to-back with other events, and I actually think it's a very good idea. Vintage races particularly appeal to me.

By happy coincidence, the 2009 meet in Durham NC started one day after the "Gold Cup" race weekend at Virginia International Raceway (about an hour away) - and it was especially worthwhile for BritishV8 fans to be there because that weekend four MGB GT V8 racecars gathered to race.

BritishV8s at VIR
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Images-V17-2/BritishV8-2009-Kickoff.jpg

MGB GT V8 racecars at VIR
http://www.britishv8.org/Photos/MGB-GT-V8-Race-Cars.jpg

Actually, I was stunned the previous year when we met in Wisconsin that no one stayed over for Brian Redman's (Kohler) International Challenge weekend at Road America... huge vintage race weekend! A chance to see Can-Am and Formula 5000 cars at speed on one of America's finest and fastest road courses. Go figure.

Our 2006 meet in Townsend TN was back to back with MG2006 in Gatlinburg (less than an hour away) - and I'm sure that was one of the reasons why turnout was especially high and also why folks like the Milners and the Guzmans were willing to drive from California to participate.

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: June 16, 2012 02:25PM

I'm afraid we're going to scare off any potential volunteers. Having 2-3 years to plan and lots of help is nice, but not required. Both the '03 and the '06 meets here in Townsend were planned and cordinated entirely by my self in less than one year. If I can do it, it ain't all that difficult. Perhaps they would have been better if I had more help, but they were adequate as they were, and adequate is better than no meet at all.

Once the meet begins, you will need help, but that is readlily available from the participants, family members, and/or a few locals, not necessarily club members. In the case of the Townsend meets, that help involved such things as picking up fried chicken, setting up tables, refilling ice chests, frying burgers, brewing coffee, etc.

As for tying in with other events, I'm ambivelant. All three of the Townsend events have been in conjuction with other events, either at the same time, or before or after. In '03, we had the local British car gathering at the motel next door and the Street Rod show in Knoxville at the same time. In '06, we had MG 2006 in Gatlinburg right after. In '11, we had the Local British car gathering right before. I think the other events helped us in all three cases, but not significantly. I don't think they hurt us at all. At each, some of the participants at our meet attended the other events so we helped them as well.

I concur whole-heartily with Rick on the homecoming/reunion aspect of these meets. For that reason, I would not like to see them get too big. That may sound a bit cliquish, but we certainly don't act like a clique. I don't know of any newcomer to one of our meets that didn't feel like part of the family within a few minutes. The problem for me with getting too big is that you can't know and talk to every one if there's too many. It would lose the family feel. I'm happy to see people coming to the meet as a stranger, but I hate to see them leave that way.

lars49
Larry Barnes
Colorado Springs
(177 posts)

06/11/2009 02:12PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB GM LA1 3400 V6

authors avatar
Posted by: lars49
Date: June 27, 2012 01:43PM

Well the wildfire has just consumed one of the venues I had planned and another two are threatened. The Pikes Peak Hill Climb is scheduled for the end of next week and that may have to be canceled.

To allay any "fears", anyone in the Denver area is welcome at our ad-hoc bi-weekly LBC breakfast meetings at the Patty Jewett Golf club at 9:00am. The next one is scheduled for the July 6th. That's assuming we are all still here of course. [www.pikespeaklbcgroup.com]
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.