The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Wow! did that ever suck.
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 16, 2011 08:44PM

I have to admit that I'm a fair newbie when it comes to forums.
But is that sort of spamming thing common?
Whoever did that needs a hot poker installed somewhere private.
Must be tough for them though, you know, alone in their moms basement, naked in front of the computer with a bag of Cheetos.
Cheers
Fred

kerbau53
Geoff Morton
Naples, FL
(109 posts)

08/09/2010 10:27PM

Main British Car:
78 MGB Ford 5L

Re: Wow! did that ever suck.
Posted by: kerbau53
Date: August 17, 2011 01:39AM

Looks like they're still at it. China strikes again!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 17, 2011 04:08AM

Yep... mainland China, judging by their ISP codes. Whoever is behind the 400-500 spam threads that popped up today surely doesn't think BritishV8 readers are itching to buy counterfeit designer handbags by mail-order. Instead, they apparently think text links from message boards like ours will give their websites more credibility from search engines. (Google isn't so easily gamed, but perhaps some of the more primitive search engines are.) I like the red hot poker idea, but it would be so much better if people (and companies) around the globe would simply stop buying junk from the Chinese.

I deliberately made it easy for someone who discovers BritishV8 to immediately get an ID, post their first message, and include text links in that message. I wanted to encourage quick growth and active participation... but maybe it's time to put some controls back in. Just adding a timed delay between when a person requests an ID and when it's activated is enough to cut spam significantly. Then there are other strategies, such as having a moderator review the application, reviewing the first post, etc.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 17, 2011 09:33PM

If this becomes a problem & you need some of us to sign up to help with moderating you can sign me up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.