The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Project Journal section
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: October 21, 2011 02:51PM

Curtis,
I really enjoy the Project Journal section of this forum and thanks to all the contributors in there but I have a question in regards to the mechanics of that section in itself. I read the sticky but what's going on when you post your number and when a person edits their journal, their journal doesn't move to the top like a reply to a thread might in the other sections. If it would, then I would be able to see the latest editions more easily. Maybe all this is obvious to others but if you could enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ken

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Project Journal section
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 21, 2011 09:05PM

The forum software (which is known as "phorum") doesn't have any mechanism for sorting threads based on when messages within them were edited.

It also doesn't have a feature for flagging threads which have newly edited messages since the last time you visited.

Several times a year, I add bogus little "replies" in a strategic manner so that the system can automatically re-sequence the journals based on the time-stamps of my replies. In other words, I manually sort the journals. I admit, It's a pretty half-assed workaround...

One of the best things about phorum is that it's open-source software. It's relatively easy to add little hacks here and there. I've added more than a few, but my knowledge of the programming language (PHP) is rudimentary at best. One big problem with hacking the code is that it deters updating when new versions of phorum are released. (If I download the new version of phorum, I'll have to transfer over my old hacks or else lose whatever functionality they provided.) Probably my best hack to date actually appears in the journal section: I set it up so you can at least see when journals were most recently edited without opening the respective threads and scrolling to their bottoms. From that start, adding a bright red "new" flag shouldn't be too hard.

I don't have a clue how to get an appropriate thread sorting function to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.