The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

xkman
John Feng

(3 posts)

01/21/2012 03:04PM

Main British Car:

advice sought, where to start with a modified brit car?
Posted by: xkman
Date: January 21, 2012 03:15PM

Hello all,
I've been lurking here for a little bit and decided to join.
I was an old German car guy for a couple of decades, but have recently gotten the Brit car disease.

I drive an old Jag and have had a a couple others.
The idea of doing burn outs in an old British car that handles well has since given me countless sleepless nights. It's not that my other cars aren't fast, its just that they are more the "100% authentic" type car rather than the "screw tradition let's make it fun" kind of car.

While looking for parts to finish a Jag engine rebuild I came across a pretty Healey 100 that was upgraded to a domestic V8 in the 1960's, and a T5 recently. The engine is set well back and the work looks reasonably well done. It reminded me of a Healey version of the ol Sunbeam Tiger. The body seems to be rust and bodge free and the mechanical work seems well done too.

How do you find your upraded cars for summer touring? Are they any cruder than the originals? How would you suggest I put a value on this type of modified car when I'm out kicking tires?

Thanks

John
P.S. Silverstein, Are you on this board?

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Re: advice sought, where to start with a modified brit car?
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: January 21, 2012 08:32PM

Welcome, John! It's hard to generalize about a modified car, since each one is unique. A great deal of the driving enjoyment will depend on how well the car has been designed to work as a whole. Too much horsepower without upgraded brakes and suspension won't make for a fun drive. On the other hand, moderate amounts of horsepower increase can make a standar car a lot of fun. The 100 has been V-8 hot-rodded almost since its introduction. Stock Healeys tend to be really hot in the footwells. Add the heat of a V-8 to the mix and you can get a real foot-roaster. Additionally, there are a lot of holes in the firewall that let engine comartment heat blow into the cockpit. Modern insulating materials can make the interior much more comfortable, so plan on doing that if you buy an older swap. Another weak point of Healey V-8 cars is the cooling system. They tend to overheat unless radiator mods have been carried out.

Value of a modified is tough to generalize as well. Only thing one can safely say is it's usually a lot less than a similar stock car. The quality of the swap along with the overall condition of the car will be a make-or-break factor. Also, look out for rust, it can be a killer on big Healeys.

I'd suggest taking a long test drive, especially through stop and go traffick, to see how you like it.

Here's my Healey swap: [forum.britishv8.org]

Rick

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 22, 2012 01:22AM

Welcome to BritishV8!

I agree with Rick and would only point out two or three more things:

The T5's overdrive fifth gear will likely be a great improvement for touring. Most people also swap rear axles when they put V8 engines in these cars. Axle ratio selection obviously has a major effect on the character of the finished car.

If you're not in love with the look of original wheels/tires, there's potential for huge improvement. Wider and stickier radial tires will really improve handling and smooth out your ride.

The term "domestic v8" covers a vast territory. Engine designs varied hugely in the first place, plus there are myriad choices when it comes to rebuilding and tuning them. Choose carefully!

I usually do one real long road trip a year in my MGB GT V8, and I love every minute that I get to spend driving the old girl! My car is particularly loud, rough, and obnoxious but that's a personal preference. (Bonus: it makes the car seem faster than it really is.) Over the twenty years since I installed my V8, it's proven extremely reliable. Fuel economy varies, but is about on par with the old four cylinder (~24-26mpg on road trips).

Value? If the car moves you, you can't go wrong.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 22, 2012 01:22PM

Good advice but I'm afraid I disagree somewhat that the converted car is going to be less expensive. True in many cases, definitely incorrect in others, especially the MGB, where converted cars have been drawing a premium for many years now. Quality of workmanship is the main factor of course, but suitable selection of components runs a close second.

In general then your expectations should be similar to what we saw when buying a new car back in the 70's. A base model price (Blue Book for classic cars for instance) plus a reasonable value for the upgrades, and what you will pay for those should reflect your view of their desirability and mileage. So if it has a well done Big Brake kit, an axle upgrade, premium wheels, and the engine of your choice mated to a T5 it would be a mistake to think you should be able to buy it for less that the 4 cylinder base model in similar condition.

JB

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: January 22, 2012 04:40PM

Jim,

I was specifically referring to Healeys as being less valuable when converted. E-types are the same. With MGs and Triumphs a good conversion can be worth more than an original. I don't really know the reason, it's just the way it is.

Cheers,

Rick

xkman
John Feng

(3 posts)

01/21/2012 03:04PM

Main British Car:

Thanks all
Posted by: xkman
Date: January 22, 2012 10:44PM

Rick, you're just north of me (I'm in Sudbury, MA)! Just saw the video of your late fall drive. Where's the burn out? For a while I was considering a Factory Five kit, but I just don't like glass bodies.

FWIW, I like em loud too. Nothing like zipping thru the Big Dig tunnels as I run a pretty much a straight thru stainless system.

Summary:
(1) devil is in the details of how well the conversion was done and if the other subsystems were modified to match.
(2) Value: generally substantially less than a numbers matching or stock vehicle, with some exceptions.

Thanks everyone. It'll be interesting to see if I can find "the" car at the "right" price.

John

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 23, 2012 11:15AM

John, are you specifically talking about Healeys or was it just a Healey 100 that whetted your appetite? To be clear about the second half of your summary, people pay a premium for numbers matching big Healeys and E-types, but those models are at one end of a spectrum. Rubber bumper MGs are at the other end of the spectrum, where a nice engine swap can command a big premium. There are a lot of makes/models/series in between. There are also a ton of variables... quality being a very big one. My advice: forget about trying to "blue book" these cars. Only two people have to agree on value: one buyer and one seller. Go with your gut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.