The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

V-6 BGT crashed thru driveway gate I'm an official idiot
Posted by: lawnvett
Date: May 04, 2012 09:50AM

Boy do I ever feel like a nincompoop, stupid, careless dumb *#@. Now that I'm finished beating up on myself here's what happened.
I had an accident at 9:00pm Wed. 5-2-2012 in my driveway. My MGB/GT rolled out of control before pushing the car I placed ramps in front to only allow it to be pushed a foot. but the ramps slipped
; I tried to jump in to hit the brakes and with one leg in and one out of the car and I went thru a formerly closed gate. The gate forced the car door against my knee. Damage to car door and exhaust system [that stupid ramp is now wedged under the car near the rear wheel between the exhaust and the floor].
This mishap added to the electrical fire from a couple of days ago makes it quite a challenge to get this car ready for the trip to TX.
Does bad stuff happen in threes? I'b better be extra careful.
Oh and don't trust ramps to stop a car from rolling on a slight incline.
After making sure the car was secure , it was on a slope, I manage to squeeze out and limp into the house to ice it and take some Tylenol. I was able to walk, let's say limp, anyway I hate emergency rooms especially at night.

Off to see the Doc this afternoon, one knee is one inch larger in circumference than than the other. Not sure if I can step on the clutch till this old knee heals. Update 5-3-2012 at 3pm X-ray okay. But am to rest and not put weight on it for a week.

Maybe I'll catch a ride with someone or fly to the V8 British meet in Palestine ,TX.
BGT driveway crash.jpg

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Re: V-6 BGT crashed thru driveway gate I'm an official idiot
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: May 04, 2012 10:16AM

Sorry to hear about this, it sound like something I would do. You've two weeks before the trip, hopefully one week of layup will be enough to make it so you can dirve to the meet. Recover quickly!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 04, 2012 10:21AM

You missed PJ's other report on the MGE board Phil -- also had a short that fried a bunch of wires in the harness under the hood. Doable if annoying things like work & life don't get in the way, but a lot to do to fix the wiring & exhaust in time if they do.

PJ did you figure out why the fuse didn't blow on the shorted wire circuit?

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: May 04, 2012 11:31AM

PJ, the first line of your report really resonates with me. When I took my car off the stands after the paint job, I had to do it in stages as the large floor jack wouldn't come out from under the front xmember without 3 layers of 2x6 under the front tires. Did that, them took stands from under the rear. The car was NOT in gear or the e-brake on. Result - car rolled off the 2x6 when the rear tires hit the paint booth floor and hit an engine on a stand leaving two nice creases on the right rear fender in the new paint. @~&%#!!!

Hope you're feeling better soon and can make it to TX.

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 04, 2012 09:47PM

Thanks to Ken, Don, Monte, Kevin and Daryl who all came to my rescue today. The bgt is now in Ken's enclosed trailer.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 05, 2012 10:50AM

Ouch, PJ!

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Could turn into a good thing, though. Max is looking for a co-pilot for the MG Roadmaster. Make his young ass do the driving. He just needs company (and help with the gas). ;)

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 06, 2012 12:08AM

So thanks to some friends the car is extricated from the in-appropriate parking spot, the damages don't seem to be too bad, and we got on with the prep for our house's birthday party. The fence is mended my knee is black & blue but I am grateful that it wasn't any worse. Might as well smile. Grandson Collin [on the ladder] and another 13 year old neighbor worked all day helping me get stuff done as I limped around trying to take it easy.
100yrs old.jpg
wow damage not too bad.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 10, 2012 10:50PM

update, I plan to drive the red BGT to Palestine thanks to Ken Nicks for repairing the electrical fire damage. I drove the car today. The car is a little dented and scratched and my knee is pretty black and blue from the crash but we are both on the mend and looking forward to seeing everyone in TX.

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: May 22, 2012 03:49PM

PJ,
Somewhere in your youth you must have missed the lesson on proper support. The basic cement building block is the best thing made ( as long as it doesn't crack ). That is why so many great mechanic's in my old trailer park used them. Attached is the proper way to suport a vehicle at any angle. Of course a tree makes a good lifting point also! Note the 4x4 securely staked in the ground to avoid any rolling.

Hey, it was all I had!

Cheers,
Bill
up on blocks.JPG

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 23, 2012 08:59AM

I wish I had a photo of the amateur shade tree engine swap some buddies and I did in the 1960's to a 1957 chevy. I was sorta like yours with a rope block and pulley suspended from an oak tree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.