The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
The Official "I Made IT Home Safely" thread
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 25, 2012 11:28AM

Drove thru the heat top down all but the last 2 hours (got cold). Otherwise, the entire 2200 mile trip topless. ;) Rolled in at 1:45Am, 940 miles, 15 1/2 hours straight through. Managed to jump around the night shift paving in Chattanooga on the back roads thanks to some cell phone help by Jim Watson.

Yep, great meet, awesome brisket by Chef Wayne Kube, and a
marvelous "Family Reunion".

For those unable to make it this year, we missed ya!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: The Official "I Made IT Home Safely" thread
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 25, 2012 11:36AM

I made it home last night too. Left early - about noon - on Wednesday to take my dad back to Dallas & then head down to Austin. Boss scheduled a "face to face" staff meeting there for Thurs on short notice. Then drove home Thursday evening - got here about 8:30pm.

Agree it was a great meet -- bummed I missed the banquet/auction; hopefully someone will post some info about that.

Wayne & crew did an awesome job - everything was well planned & the brisket was great.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone & meeting some new folks too.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 25, 2012 01:18PM

Steve Carrick, Jean, and I got to our home in Saint Joseph, IL last night after 14 hours, 5 minutes on the road. (We lost about 35 minutes to construction delays).

Uneventful trek home.

I agree, it was a GREAT meet!

Steve will be continuing on to Grand Rapids, MI today.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 25, 2012 03:11PM

Margaret and I got home at 10:45. 14.75 hours and 976 miles. Good trip, no trouble.

We thought the meet was great and were glad to see everyone.
See you next year.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 25, 2012 04:44PM

We got in about 4 AM last night after a somewhat eventful trip, Dan left earlier today and should be home by now. (probably mowing the grass) Never had any issues at all with the engine, apparently the fuel filter replacement and the bottle of Heet in the gas tank was the proper cure. We did pick up a piece of metal in one tire, most likely the result of pulling off the side of the road. We put a plug in it before Dan left.

Scott and Artie didn't have it quite so easy but I'm pretty sure they made it. At least they made it this far, they will have to fill in the details.

What I'm anxious to hear is how Graham fared after his distributor change. I hope the return hasn't been too challenging.

Jim

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: May 25, 2012 08:11PM

Richard and I rolled in this PM at 12:45, and left for Tullahoma Tn for a tour of the George Dickel Distillery. Great time. Wayne and group did a fantastic Job!!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 25, 2012 09:51PM

This in from Mike Maloney:

Here is the update on Creswick, Gordy and Maloney's return trip...some of you may know that Graham could not start his car in the Hotel parking lot on Thursday morning. After 6 plus hours, we finally got on the road and I walked into my house at 5:30 today (friday) Gordy and Graham should arrive home @ 11pm tonight...

We finally got on the road Thursday Morning around 2:30 pm after some great Texas hospitality...When Grahams car would not start with the Crane electronic ignition, we decided to change the dizzy over to points...NAPA in Palestine had the points and condensor, but not the plate...so they called a guy named James Kirkwood who lived about ten miles away. The NAPA guy guided us out to James Kirwoods palce of business on his motor scooter...Kirkwoods place was a Ford repair/resto shop that worked exclusively on Fords.....James had a couple good old boys who worked in his employ..what a great bunch of guys...when we pulled the plate out of Grahms dizzy, there was about an ounce of fine metal shavings in the bottom of the distributor..this was caused by an improperly rebuilt dizzy that Graham had installed just prior to leaving for Texas...whoever rebuilt the dizzy failed to install the bushing that elevates the advance weights, so the weights were digging metal chips in the bottom of the distributor..the chips were confusing the electronic ignition...in other words, the dizzy was shot...So the Kirkwood boys pulled a distributor from a 30+ year old car, cleaned it up and helped install in the car...once installed, the car ran fantastic...and guess what, Kirwood would not accept payment..said he always helps a stranded motorist in need,,,Hats Off to James Kirkwood and the rest of the boys there ! If reputations are built on deeds, Kirkwood is a member in good standing...see attached pics
Had a wondrful time with all who attended and can't wait for the next event
el pez

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 26, 2012 09:21AM

Just a quick note to say that after 3034 miles and a week away from home, the MG negotiated the driveway at 9:30pm last night. Thanks to the distributor repairs made in Texas, the car ran flawlessly back to Canada.
As Mike mentioned in his earlier post, the rebuilt distributor that I installed prior to the trip to Texas was a piece of crap - one expects better performance from a new part, and I'll be sending a nasty letter to the reputable auto parts franchise that sold me the unit - I'll also post photos later and give a blow-by-blow description of the failure events that may help others diagnose if they encounter a similar problem.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: May 26, 2012 10:18AM

Pictures of the dizzy with the filings and the good old boys at Kirkwoods
Kirkwood Dizzy (3) - Copy.jpg

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: May 26, 2012 10:20AM

dizzy
Kirkwood Dizzy (1) - Copy.jpg

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: May 26, 2012 11:50AM

"We made it home safe" After 3650 miles round trip in our truck & trailer.On the way home, ran into some 45mph head winds in Arizona, California, was making the gas tank fillups every 120 miles. Paid a hefty 5.39 per gallon at one station in Essex Ca (out in the middle of no where). Left Palestine around 10:30am Thurday after saying our goodbye's to one of the most awesome group of people Brenda & I have met. We made it home Friday night 9:30pm. Wayne and friends setup a great venue for everyone! Would be the first to signup again in a heart beat. So see everyone in 2013.

Thank You" Mathew Blackwood" for showing Brenda (my wife) how it was done( In her mind she said, if he can do it I should be able to do it). Brenda drove our TR6 on the autocross track and had a blast. She had driven it only once before and it scared her because it stalled out on her.

Some more of Grahan Creswick's issues we were able to get on video of how we all support our fellow car group. Everyone in this group is willing to dive in and help out.

Brenda on the Autocross track!

Graham in a turn out checking out dizzy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 12:01PM by 74ls1tr6.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(561 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: May 26, 2012 02:53PM

We did make it home about 6:20 AM yesterday after about 21 hrs. and an all night drive. I dropped Artie at the airport this morning and he's home safely now too. We did have a few issues:

o Hit a piece of wood that was kicked up on the road and dented the fender and hood
o Alternator housing broke so we had to replace it
o Fuel return line was rubbing against the engine and it caused a leak

What's that they say about bad things coming in 3's?

Jim and Dan Blackwood went above and beyond helping us through the repairs. They transported us to an O'Reilly's for the alternator and helped us get it in the car. Fortunately we were close to Jim's when we realized we couldn't go any further with the fuel leak and Jim and Dan went to Jim's shop, got some fuel line and a small pipe cutter and drove back out to the gas station we were stranded at and helped complete those repairs. This was at about 3 AM after being on the road all day. They both are great guys and I owe them big time!

It was an outstanding meet! Wayne and crew did a fantastic job and it was great seeing everyone again. Can't wait till next year!

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 26, 2012 08:02PM

Calvin....the two attached videos are marked "private" when I try to view them!

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: May 26, 2012 09:10PM

Thank You Rick, I will go in there and change them + will upload alot of the dyno runs I have too.

(Edit) Those are changed to public!

Thank You again Rick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 09:19PM by 74ls1tr6.

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: May 27, 2012 04:24PM

I also made it home safely. I left the event Thursday morning and drove to Pflugerville TX (near Austin) to visit with my brother and his family. I headed for home around 11:15 am Friday and pulled into home about 10:15 am Saturday. The car ran good with no new issues, so I just kept putting in gas and driving. Once I get the fuel pump changed, all should be good with the universe. I racked up 2901.3 miles total.
I want to say thank you to Mike Maloney, Graham, and Gordy, for helping get me back on the road when my “fancy racing fuel pump” crapped out on me. I would probably still be in Texarkana if not for them.
Wayne, Nick, Jeremy, Ric, and anyone else who helped run the event, AWESOME job on the event, thanks for a great time. It was wonderful seeing the old friends and meeting some new ones.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 29, 2012 02:13AM

Home safely tonight at ~10:30pm. Only 2896 miles this year. ~9000 feet of altitude change. The return trip included stops in Taos NM, Ouray CO, and at Mt. Princeton hot springs. I rendezvoused with my wife at Durango, and enjoyed her company for the rest of the weekend. This year's suspension mods greatly improved the ride. My old car runs pretty well... if I remember to keep fuel in the tank! (No more problems with that since Palestine.)

BritishV8 2012 certainly was a wonderful meet!

I'll post photos/articles over the next few days and weeks...

AL WULF
Allen Wulf
Wheat Ridge, CO
(37 posts)

01/18/2008 12:48AM

Main British Car:
'67 MGB-V8 '62 MGA MKII Deluxe Rover 3.9 EFI

Posted by: AL WULF
Date: May 29, 2012 11:19AM

We arrived home at about 4:15 PM MDT Friday avoiding Dallas by going on Texas 19, 69 and 82. We stayed in Childress Thursday night. I didn't use the Garman and missed the turn off for 69. Seems I can spot all the derelict cars and old farm machinery in fields but somehow miss well marked road signs. We drove fast and made frequent rest stops.

it was a great meet.

See you next year.

Al

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 29, 2012 11:39AM

Had to leave the Jag in Palestine, got the last rental vehicle that Enterprise had, a big Ford cargo van. Made it to Dallas Thursday afternoon, had dinner with my cousin and then drove to Wichita, go there around 1:30 am. Back in KC now and all is going well, arranged for the Jag transport this morning, so will have it back home in a week or so to begin work on it. On the road again next week for the Power Tour. Had a great time and really enjoy seeing all my friends again. Great BBQ Wayne.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 29, 2012 06:01PM

Wow, who would have thought. Such a sad end after such a grand entrance. I know all of us would like to help you Bill, if there was anything we could do...

Jim

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 29, 2012 06:23PM

XK8 cursed by MG Midget! :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.