The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Sidecardoug
Doug Rowe
Northern Nevada
(51 posts)

07/04/2012 05:09PM

Main British Car:
1969 TR-6 Ford 302

Introducing myself...
Posted by: Sidecardoug
Date: July 05, 2012 09:15PM

Hi

I'm Doug, live in the Reno NV area, and have a project involving the transplant of a Chevy Camaro 3.4 liter V6 into a < gasp! > 1958 Volvo PV444. ( I know, she's not British, but she does come with some Lucas electrics...). I have owned and enjoyed a number of British cars in the past - the first was a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine, which the local British mechanic loved, as I'm sure it made a few mortgage payments for him...

My two favorites were as different as night and day - a 1958 Hillman Husky, and a 1961 Austin Healey 3000/Shelby. I ended up letting the Husky go to buy something that would tow the sidehack up and down I-5... and a couple of years later, the Healey, whose head gasket had succumbed to traffic woes, went away to finance a faster racer. I'd dearly love to have either ( or both! ) of them back.

I found this site when searching for info on swaps involving the 3.4 led me to a link to your article on Bill Spohn's MGA/Jamaican. I'd like to use the factory injection, but don't know if that is realistic or not. The donor car is a '95 Camaro with the 5 speed, and I may swap in a 3.4 crate engine at a later date, after the car is sorted.

I hope that you folks will tolerate my Swedish car - after all, Jensen actually built the first Volvo P1800s !

Thanks,
Doug

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Re: Introducing myself...
Posted by: britcars
Date: July 07, 2012 03:47PM

Welcome Doug. I bought a 1966 Alpine new and had a couple of early Volvo's as well...always loved the look of the Amazons. In case you want to get back into sidehacks when you finish your v6 conversion, her's a bit of inspiration. :~)
Virago Sidecar.jpg

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: July 08, 2012 09:27PM

Phil,
As a 30+ year biker....Please enlighen me on the use of this extremely aerodynamic and lightweight sidecar

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Posted by: britcars
Date: July 10, 2012 12:06AM

Phil:
I've been riding for nearly 50 years........man, I'm getting old! I claim no responsibility for that sidecar build and can't tell who owns it or what was rattling around in his head when he conceived and built it. Nice junkyard monoshock suspension though. Lots of strange rigs out there!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.