The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Should I extend the site's "private message" system?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 07, 2008 03:53PM

I get at least an e-mail or two every day from someone who wants to contact the owner of this car or that... Often they've seen a car in the British V8 photo gallery, and they want to ask questions about it. I can only answer so many e-mails. It kills a lot of my time!

Some people have asked: "Why don't you just list people's e-mail addresses on the website?" In my opinion, posting e-mail addresses anywhere online is no longer smart because spammers in particular have gotten too clever about collecting e-mail addresses with automated "robot" computer programs.

So, for some time I've been thinking about manually updating all those gallery pages (and How It Was Done articles) to add people's message-board UserID's, possibly even with a link so that clicking on the UserID would take readers right into our existing "private message system." The private message system is extremely resistant to spam ads (although not perfectly so).

There are potential downsides. Some people value (or need to protect) their privacy more than other people. This policy could potentially make it easier for bill collectors or angry ex-girlfriends to contact you, for example. (However, at least they wouldn't get your e-mail address, mailing address, or phone number!) You might even get nasty e-mails from "purists" who don't understand why you destroyed a perfectly good XXXXX (insert model of underpowered classic British car here.)

SO... what do you think? Is this a good idea? Should it be a priority? Do you see any way for me to get paid for the hours I kill doing this boring chore? (A mandatory PayPal contribution?) Is there something else I should do first - like (for example) figuring out how to automatically link from people's messages here on the "board" to their pages in the gallery (e.g. a button to the left of their message...)?

===

Incidentally, if you know someone's name and you want to contact them, but you don't know their UserID, there's a nifty trick for finding it quickly. It works 99% of the time, if they've ever posted an actual message on the message board. Simply go to Google and enter a search term like this one:
"site:forum.britishv8.org curtis jacobson" (except enter their name instead of mine.)

Google will usually list messages that person has left, and you'll see their UserID to the left of their message. (Click on their UserID and their profile will appear. Under it is an option. Click on the words "Send a Private Message".)

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Should I extend the site's "private message" system?
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 07, 2008 08:45PM

"So, for some time I've been thinking about manually updating all those gallery pages (and How It Was Done articles) to add people's message-board UserID's, possibly even with a link so that clicking on the UserID would take readers right into our existing "private message system."

Curtis,

That sounds way too time consuming. You are supposed to have a life away from the computer.

I say skip it & go spend some time with your wife.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 10:52AM by MGBV8.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: June 07, 2008 10:08PM

I say leave it at the "Private Message" functionality attached to the postings.
Like Carl sez - you've already got too much on your plate being the moderator and you don't need additiional workload.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: June 09, 2008 01:57AM

Don't go back, just keep looking forward.

In future articles and how it was done subscriptions, you could have a box to check that asks to allow you to leave their email, name and state public. You may even want to add a "Member of XXX Club of XXX State" so if people are really trying to get in touch with them, they have to take the long route.

This might also help more people fill these out as some people like to strangely brag about their cars but don't really want anyone to know who/where they are. I know it sounds strange, but there are a few people that want to contribute and yet want to remain anonymous. As for me and a few others here, this is what we do and we want people to find us.

Don't turn around, just look ahead!

-BMC.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: June 09, 2008 10:36AM

I agree with Brian, make that an option for future articles. If any of us want to update the files I'm sure the guys will let you know individually. I certainly don't mind and included my contact information in the original article on my car. I have gotten some inquires from that as well as from other forums.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: June 09, 2008 07:10PM

Curtis,
Couple of things:

1. I think a mandatory annual "dues" deduction for this site is a good idea. Kind of like the other site where you have a 'gold" or "silver" type membership with built in incentives. I frankly can't remember when I last contributed and this would really be a big help to me and to the site. I have no problem signing up for this because of the enjoyment factor.

2. I say post the email addresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 07:12PM by RMO 699F.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 09, 2008 09:53PM

"I frankly can't remember when I last contributed..."

He may not remember (he wouldn't at Townsend 'cause we passed the hat), but I have given him a 20 at every V8 Meet since he took over in lieu of the subscription.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 09, 2008 10:06PM

I put $40 in the hat at Townsend and have been sending Curtis regular contributions electronically since then. My point was that I never can seem to remember when EXACTLY I made the contribution and it would be helpful to have a regular contribution so I don't have to be concerned about missing one. Also, there are many people who enjoy this site on a regular basis who never attend the annual meet and don't make a cash donation there, who should be contributing to the site. I'm just saying that for Curtis' benefit it would be nice for all who use and enjoy this site to make a "scheduled"(?) contribution to insure its continued success.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 10:33PM by RMO 699F.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: June 10, 2008 10:35AM

Mike says "I put $40 in the hat at Townsend...."

Thanks Mike!...I've been wondering who put that $40 in my hat........:-)

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 10, 2008 01:56PM

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Graham, I thought you had an unusually bright smile during that event! :-)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 10, 2008 04:25PM

Thanks for giving me some really good feedback!

We have a "Contributors" page (under the "Contacts" pull-down menu)... and I've just now re-formatted it and put it into alphabetical order to make it a little easier for folks to look themselves up. [www.britishv8.org]
(Let me know if I made any mistakes in re-formatting, etc.)

I'll look into how we might set up an automated annual contribution/renewal system. I wouldn't be surprised if PayPal has already come up with something for that purpose. I don't want to have to spend any time managing subscriptions, but I do agree in principal that we should offer premiums, incentives, or added features for contributors.

On the other hand, I strongly feel we should keep articles as open to general public readers as possible. It's good for all of us to promote the hobby widely and to improve the reputation of hot-rodders, plus new and incremental business is the only case for selling ads to vendors. (And we'll all benefit as the vendor community thrives and grows...)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.