The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

The Car is our Canvas
Posted by: roverman
Date: September 03, 2012 02:00PM

Case in point, The Mean Green TR6. Its "our" rendition/vision ,and we build it as such. We don't ask for others approval, nor should we. What better form of mobile, self expression ? Build it for yourself, you paid fort it, right ? Let's not kid ourselves, that everyone else, will just love it. Most new cars drop value, like a rock, why should our lbc's be much different ? There not classics, there british hot rods, so enjoy them as such, 2 cents, roverman.

psmg
Paul Schils
Fredonia, WI
(89 posts)

12/13/2007 10:27AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB-GT, Buick 215 1971 MGB RD, SBF 302

authors avatar
Re: The Car is our Canvas
Posted by: psmg
Date: September 03, 2012 03:36PM

I agree totally. Every car starts with a "vision" of what we we want to accomplish. When it's complete, only we can determine if we've achieved our goal. Not everyone accepts what we do, but when one of our peers says "well done", that's the only gratification we need. This is one group of enthusiasts that I'm proud to be associated with.
Paul

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: September 03, 2012 08:14PM

X 3 on that one !!!

Dave

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: September 05, 2012 02:41PM

I'm next in line to agree with all said.

Calvin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 02:42PM by 74ls1tr6.

Joshv8
Josh McDermott

(2 posts)

09/06/2012 04:44PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Joshv8
Date: September 06, 2012 04:47PM

As long as you're happy with it. No need to worry about someone else's vision for sure. You are the one spending time on it and having fun with it!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 06, 2012 11:48PM

Well, there was one little point in the original post that I disagree strongly with. The MGB and the MGB GT undoubtedly ARE classic cars. In fact, I'd go further and declare that the MGB GT roofline was Pininfarina's masterpiece. The term "classic" doesn't exclusively apply to expensive or to limited production cars. Several of the other cars we discuss on this site are also certainly classics. I don't think we need to split hairs about which cars are and which aren't... It doesn't matter. What does matter is that the British excelled at creating "affordable classics" and building them in relatively large numbers. What we're doing here is improving on something that was already wonderful. Nothing wrong with that!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 07, 2012 08:32AM

Indeed. And I would even go a bit further. In more than a few cases these cars qualify as bona-fide works of art. We can each come up with an example or two off the top of our head such as Terry's and Dan's GTs, the Berlin GT, Jim Stabe's roadster, Bill Jacobson's roadster, Mike Moor's roadster, the Roadmaster GT and more. (Well, OK the Roadmaster is still a little rough but It probably qualifies nonetheless).

Would anyone think that one of these cars would sell at the average price of a converted MGB? Could happen but wouldn't you like to be the lucky buyer? In fact I think these particular cars will tend to appreciate instead. Of course they are few and far between but that only makes them more special and the individuality of each one is what makes them collectable. Wouldn't you love to be wealthy enough to just go around and gather up the ones you like the best? (Sh... don't anyone tell Jay. I for one wouldn't want to start over.)

The individual vision, the quality of workmanship, the creativity, these are all things that say "artwork". It also happens that these creations often are many years in the making, sometimes resulting in true masterpieces. And how do you put a price on that?

As for the more typical conversion, it makes a better car. So it should be worth a premium. Not enough to pay for the upgrade but hey, you had to replace the engine anyway right?

Jim

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: September 13, 2012 09:48PM

Racers,

The MGB chassis is the greatest "palette" of all - a portable platform that provides balance for motion, performance and handling and invites the artist in all of us to create our concept of a sports car.

keep them on the track,

phillip g

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.