The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Just another unplanned vacation
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: September 14, 2012 03:02AM

Hey! Hope everyone enjoyed the summer.
As I started to say earlier, I had a fantastic time in France and Monaco.
Great racing, wonderful people and just a good time all around.
Not long after getting back the lovely Lynne and I went down to our chalet at Mt. Baker to do some summer maintenance and cleanup.
I was in the basement using my trusty old Beaver table saw. You know the "mans saw" with the 10 hp motor and the 16" blade.
Anyway, the table saw rejected my request to cut a sheet of 3/4 ply in half and did this instead.
IMGP8512.JPG
It doesn't look too bad in the picture because it had a month and a bit to heal.
The table saw kicked a half sheet of plywood back into my stomach and sent me off to visit the nice people at the hospital.
Several broken ribs and bruised organs later and I'm good to go again.
I didn't even know what had happened. One minute I'm sawing wood and the next I'm sitting on the floor wondering why I can't breathe.
Respect for this saw is a given, but just one second of inattention and it bites you in the butt.
On the upside everyone is in good shape again and I'm about to be a grandpa for the first time!
My oldest, Megan, is due in February. My son in law is still trying to figure it out.
On the V8 front I'm converting the TGB over to a Land Rover v8 drivetrain with 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, power steering and air suspension.
I'm undecided on the final engine configuration but you can count on a "how it's done"
Now onto seeing what you people have been up to while I've been relaxing.
Cheers
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Just another unplanned vacation
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 14, 2012 12:11PM

Gotta watch those power tools Fred, especially table saws. My dad had a finger nearly taken off and still doesn't know how it happened. Glad you're OK. Not that much going on here, pretty much the usual stuff. We wondered where you'd been.

Jim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: September 14, 2012 03:09PM

Fred, We're glad your mending well. How is the table saw, after the "sledge" got hold of it/lol. ? I ask that you consider the "trajectory" of the teeth, as they approach the ply wood. I suspect if the blade is as "high" as possible, the teeth will be pointing, more downward, towards the table, rather than you. This might be a good thing ? The world is waiting for your 32 valve RV8. Cheers, roverman.

burner1
Gary W

(212 posts)

09/24/2011 09:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: burner1
Date: September 16, 2012 10:27PM

I've had that happened. Knocked the breath out of me.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 17, 2012 07:37AM

Glad it wasn't worse! Had a similar experience on my saw - although just a 10" cabinet saw. A piece of cherry slipped out of my hand as I lifted it after the cut. It made contact with the blade and shot back like a rocket. It hit the left side of my gut - luckily I have plenty of padding there so besides a torn shirt a little blood and a huge bruise, I got off easy. Sounds like you need to put the splitter back on your saw. I know I put both the splitter and blade guard back on mine. It's a pain when you need to cut a dado but saves the trips to the hospital.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.