The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

vehicle title
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 16, 2013 10:02AM

I would like to know how various states handle the issue of a vehicle with a six/four cylinder engine on the title, and the vehicle now having a V8. I have looked at the code in the state I live in (Iowa), and it lists reconstructed vehicles, but I don't believe the description applies. I called the DMV, who referred me to an inspector. His phone does not accept voicemail, so I guess I have to call continually until I reach him! Then, I thought perhaps I should leave a sleeping dog lie - but I'm not sure. We do not have emissions testing, nor safety testing here. As an aside, i have seen a reconstructed "T" racer that has a reconstructed vin. at car shows here, and it has a flathead, so maybe I can do this.
I'm interested in what others know.
Thanks,
Dennis

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: vehicle title
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: August 16, 2013 10:28AM

Ohio does not have information on the title regarding the # cylinders on the engine. I do not believe putting a different engine in the car falls under the "reconstructed" guidelines. If you mean the car listed on the title, say an MGB, normally has a 4 cylinder engine, and you have an 8 cylinder engine in the car, In Ohio, I would say the DMV would be less interested in that than your insurance agent...full disclosure would be necessary with the agent...

cowboyra
Cowboy Ray

(26 posts)

12/16/2010 09:28AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: cowboyra
Date: August 16, 2013 03:55PM

I titled and licensed mine as a plain old 71 tr6. Everyone I talked to said to do it that way.
If you tell them it's been modified, you could open up a can of worms that could take
month to straighten out.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: August 16, 2013 04:11PM

If Iowa has no safety inspection (like Nebraska) I don't see why they care what engine is in it. EXCEPT for the purspose of paying registration and taxes. Obviously for a new Mustang, you'll pay more to the state in taxes/registration for a gt (v8) than a v6. Since there's no such thing as a v8 TR6, I wouldn't worry about it.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 17, 2013 01:34AM

No issue in Texas... unless you try to put a smaller motor in... everything is bigger here :-) .

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 18, 2013 03:47PM

Thanks for all the replies. I checked my registration, and it shows 6 cylinder, but I haven't looked at the title as it's in the bank lockbox and I haven't been there yet. I hesitate to call the DMV inspection officer because I am afraid of what might happen. I want to keep the car until I'm listed in the obits, so it will become the kid's issue! Maybe it will be my gravestone??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.