The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Help getting a part from UK
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 30, 2013 11:44AM

I know some of you are much more familiar with import/export than I am. What is the best way to get a part into the country where the seller will not ship to the US?

I used a modular relay and fuse module in my wiring which came from Furneaux Riddall & Co Ltd in Portsmount, UK and now with the upgrade I need to add another relay module for my electric radiator fans. I thought this would be easy as I had bought from them before but oddly enough, their insurance now prevents them from shipping to the US (how strange...) or so they say.

So I need a straw man to buy the part for me and send it to me, maybe someone in the UK so it won't have to go through Customs twice, but I don't know how the VAT figures into that. I'm willing to compensate you for your efforts. The part costs 15.38 pounds, or $24.72 US. It is called a 4 way relay holder and is part number: RB4U and comes with a snap on gasketed plastic cover. Really a very nice piece if somewhat expensive for what it is. But it matches what I already have and simplifies the wiring a bit. They show shipping as 6 pounds and VAT as 4.28 which brings it to 25.66 and that brings the total to $41.24, a very high price indeed for a relay holder, but I'm still willing to pay it.

So in Canada do you have to pay the VAT to UK suppliers?

Jim

Rotus8guy
John Bowman
West Fork, AR
(18 posts)

05/09/2013 08:10AM

Main British Car:
Rotus Seven Olds/Buick 292

Re: Help getting a part from UK
Posted by: Rotus8guy
Date: October 30, 2013 12:00PM

Here's another vendor with what looks like the same part. They appear to ship to the States

[www.altecautomotive.co.uk]

Hope that helps,

John

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 30, 2013 12:35PM

Thanks John, just what I needed. It's on order, we'll see if this works better.

Jim

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: October 30, 2013 01:25PM

If that doesn't work I'd be happy to order it and send it out to you Jim.
As far as the VAT. It's a bit of a grey area. Some suppliers insist on it others do not. You can apply to have it refunded.
The English firm is probably just doing a little "tit for tat". As many US companies won't sell anywhere outside of the US.
Being Canadian is very frustrating when it comes to ordering parts from the states. Often suppliers flat out refuse to sell to me once they realize that I'm not in the US. Even when I use my Seattle address. And don't get me started on restaurants in Bellingham. They won't serve Canadians.
What gives?
Cheers
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 30, 2013 03:37PM

Thanks Fred, I appreciate it. It's bad enough the governments make it difficult, I can understand that since in a way at least they are just doing their job. But independent businessmen? Since when is insurance an excuse for anything and everything?

Jim

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Posted by: tbo
Date: October 31, 2013 10:54PM

My Nephew did up a Spitfire this year and ordered lots of stuff from England. it always came by air and then Canada Post delivered it to his mail box at the end of his driveway . Simple as that.Shipping was cheap too.No duty on this side and no vat on that side as far as I know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.