The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

DocsMG
James Spradlin

(40 posts)

04/17/2014 01:34PM

Main British Car:

Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Posted by: DocsMG
Date: June 05, 2014 09:24AM

Quote:
....too many distractions and in some cases a lack of initiative is causing this...

....and discouraging high insurance rates .

They don't care about the cost. Don't you know they thing you will be paying?!

I drag my kid out to help and have her do stuff. When it ain't super easy she will whine "I can't". I hate that saying!

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 05, 2014 10:06AM

I had a friend (he moved back to Connecticut) that I used to kick around ideas with. Like we do here. He would mull it over and say "That's do-able". Now, that's a good attitude!

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: June 05, 2014 05:55PM

Im only 65 years young
not much interest from my 3 sons in these lbcs, photos of the boys is from the mid eighties
Maybe my 5 year old grandson will take an interest
3 guys on couch.jpg
PJ & Eli MG in CA.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 05, 2014 07:45PM

What percent of kids in your school (way back when most of us were in school) built hot rods or did serious modifications to their cars. I'd venture to say not more than 5-8%. What I see is a couple point reduction - maybe 3-5% now. Guess I'm fortunate my boys fall in that range :).

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: June 05, 2014 09:01PM

Good point, Rob. In most cases, the past was NOT the way we remember it.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: June 05, 2014 10:27PM

Rob, I totally agree with you as far as the percentage of "hard core" car guys probably being about the same as in the past...the broader point I was making is that driving a vehicle is just not as important to a larger percentage of 16/24 year old kids, as compared to prior years.....statistics support this...when I was a kid, if you did not have your drivers license by 16/17, your buddies thought there was something wrong with you...of course we were just coming out of the horse and buggy age when I got my license..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 10:29PM by RMO 699F.

DocsMG
James Spradlin

(40 posts)

04/17/2014 01:34PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: DocsMG
Date: June 06, 2014 08:49AM

I used to hate the kids that pulled up to school in mom's car, acting all cool. When you ask them questions about it, they shrug and blow you off. Used to get mad and tell them don't walk the walk if you can't talk the talk and we would tease them about driving mama's car.

I say that to remember that yeah only a few of us really knew cars. My point about today's kids is not about being hot rodders, its about ANY interest in cars. Look at the number of kids with driver's license over the years and the age at which they get them. The day I turned 16. My dad had a farmer's license at 14. My daughter may drive when she is 21, if she is pushed!

We wanted independence. They want no risks.

RobertE
Robert Edgeworth

(77 posts)

02/19/2008 08:27AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: RobertE
Date: June 06, 2014 10:14AM

I'm 23 and now have two v8 Bs. Unfortunately one seems to be taking me forever with school and other life events. I've met quite a few younger folks into classic cars. None into heavily modifying them though.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 06, 2014 11:18AM

Well gee, look at the cars they have to pick from these days. It'd take a combination techno-computer geek/rocket scientist to do any sort of modification beyond swapping wheels. Sort of de-motivating. How many of us wanted to start out with a Model-T? (when there were first generation Camaros, Cudas, Challengers and Mustangs to be had) To us, the MG was the pick of the handling crowd and when we learned it could be as fast or faster than the muscle cars there was simply no other realistic choice.

Show me that option today. (Yes, I know, same old car, same old mods.)

Then there is so much more traffic today, you can hardly drive a block without stopping anymore. They haven't changed, their environment has.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 06, 2014 11:42AM

Quote:
Well gee, look at the cars they have to pick from these days. It'd take a combination techno-computer geek/rocket scientist to do any sort of modification beyond swapping wheels. Sort of de-motivating.

That's perception, not reality. Choose a Miata, for example, and there are thousands of hop-up options at all budget and skill levels. The supercharger and turbo kits available give a bigger performance upgrade than anything available off-the-shelf for MGB in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. Countless people have transplanted V8s into these cars too. Suspension, aero and styling mods too. And Miata isn't the only option for kids today, either.

No. It's a cultural problem. I blame bicycle helmets and mandatory use of child-seats. I think you can get arrested for telling your kid: "Live fast. Take chances."

But you can do something in a small way to help. Find a kid - maybe a grandchild or a neice/nephew - and recruit them as your partner in the Moss Challenge. Don't focus on winning. Just set a goal, like "Let's see if we can score 20 points this weekend!" (Moss will even send your partner a t-shirt. Maybe their friends will be curious when they see it.) Sports cars are addictive. Be a sports car pusher.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 06, 2014 12:30PM

I don't think the techno stuff affects the current generation the way it does some of us. Kids of today are totally comfortable with re-chipping, tuners, tweakers, & other electronic methods adjusting how an engine is managed -- and therefore how it performs. It's just a different way of making mods.

RobertE
Robert Edgeworth

(77 posts)

02/19/2008 08:27AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: RobertE
Date: June 06, 2014 01:02PM

My perspective from having plenty of friends into the car scene. The biggest advantage of some newer cars is cheap horsepower. A simple tune can give you 60hp on a 2.0T gti for well under 1k. I do think that is an advantage.

I love my mk5 gti with its gadgets. Never thought I'd like a car without a clutch, but man that DSG is a thrill :). You still can't beat our British swaps though. No aids and full feel of the road. I love the feedback you get with manual brakes and steering.

Many of my friends are also very capable of performing engine swaps and modifications. However when it comes to doing this on older chassis', there's a mental block of "I cant/don't know how". Of course they probably don't realize the great resources out there like Britishv8.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: June 06, 2014 03:17PM

Hello I am 52 years old I still act like I'm 17 at least once a week. I met a lot of new people at the drag strip last year mostly local people a lot of young people most of them kind of laughed when I showed up in a classic British roadster at a drag strip after seeing it run they all just wanted to know what in the world is that thing I have gotten to know quite a few of the people that I met last year 2 of the young man were definitely influenced by seeing my car run the one guy is 24 years old he has a truck that he drag races not street legal I saw him at a car show last week he told me he just bought a gt6 and has Already started putting a twin turbo LS motor in it he plans on dragracing it and driving it on the streets he mentioned another reason young people would be interested in little British sports cars he told me the first time I met him my car had to be the ultimate chick magnet 45 minutes later at the same show I ran into another guy from the drag strip 22 years old him I have let drive my car last year he told me he just bought a TR4 his plans include either small block Ford or 340 Mopar he told me he just wants the car to be classy cool and fast something the chicks would want to ride in I might be 52 years old but the most fun I get out of my car is still out cruising with my much younger very beautiful wife

Clearly there are many reasons for owning a classic British roadster Clearly there is a generational gap in British car owners my 17-year-old stepson who drives a beautiful modified MG midget he tells me he does not like going to British car shows everybody there is too old he says the people at those shows need an attachment on the back of the car to carry their walker my other son lives in Florida he just finished the restoration and modifying of 1971 240 Z with a Turbo LS motor in it he wants me to fly down to Florida to help him Tune the rear suspension he says it just smokes the tires and wheel hops I just said I told you so he's a smart kid he will figure it out he's also a BMW master tech he is 24 years old

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 03:37PM by tomsbad6.

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Posted by: tbo
Date: June 07, 2014 09:23PM

Thought I;d chime in. I;m 67 this year.I think young kids look at my Triumph like I used to look at model A.s when I was twenty five,,,something for old fogies. They are all driving foreign car with turbos and loud mufflers. Have a question for Fred who stated this thread,,,How did you like the Monaco Grand Prix this year with the new engine and the new sound? Could we have a thread conserning the Fi races,,,I would love to talk to other people on this site about it.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: June 10, 2014 07:24PM

I'm a1949'r, braggin/complainin, depends on what part of the day. I've seen soo much, and mem'br soo lil'. Plan is to take my son and grandson, to "Hot August Nites", this Aug. First time for them, second, for me. I hope they catch "any" kind of auto bug. Seems like most of the young motorheads, are on a grade "B" , car/bike show ? Nirvana for me, is finishing all of my car dreams. Reality, is agonizing reapraisals... and the grim reaper appears to be wearing rollerblades ? Onward I guess, roverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 11:15AM by roverman.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: June 10, 2014 08:13PM

The first time I saw this question post on the MG BBS, a now all but abandon message board, I answered something like 23 in 1998. 39 now.

-BMC.

forrest39
Kevin Jakey

(1 posts)

06/09/2014 01:47AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: forrest39
Date: June 15, 2014 12:32PM

I'm 45. I have been putting engines in cars that don't belong there on and off for years. Or at least I helped someone else do it...
Subaru engine in a Vanagon, Camaro 2.8 V6 in a spitfire, a few bolt in motors like 1275 in my frog eye, 2.0 in my 1.7 914 (fuel injection nightmare...). Currently putting a 302 in my Alpine.

I guess you have to be 'more experienced' with this hobby. I wanted to do this 23 years ago with my first Alpine but just couldn't figure it out / didn't have the skill set.
Now that I'm older, my problem solving skills are slightly more honed.
Cheers! -Kevin

mgbman
Marshall de Leon
Salem, Oregon
(54 posts)

01/15/2014 11:43PM

Main British Car:
Mark 2 Jaguar Chevrolet 350

Posted by: mgbman
Date: March 01, 2015 12:15PM

Well, I act as though I am 10----- because that is what I am (in dog years)...........but in my real world, I am 62.........and lovin' every minute of it......
I am still young enough to remember when ALL of the Beatles where together, when the Rolling Stones were young agile guys (well, who is to say that they are not, nowadays??), when music was music (tongue in cheek), and when cars were actually cars (again, tongue inn cheek)...

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: March 01, 2015 03:09PM

Just rolled over 70 years. Probably a good thing I didn't have the car I have now back in my 30's or I probably wouldn't have made it to 40. I agree with Jim B that the crop of cars to pick from nowadays to make a hot rod isn't real inspiring. You just have to have cubic money and buy a factory one.

rkas3882
randy kassed

(84 posts)

05/30/2010 09:14AM

Main British Car:
1973 mgb gt rover 3.5

Posted by: rkas3882
Date: March 01, 2015 04:01PM

I'm 30, about to turn 31....trust me, there are still a lot of young car guys out there.
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.