The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Bustedbuick
Matt Junker
Pittsburgh-area, PA
(35 posts)

09/17/2008 11:52AM

Main British Car:
1962 215 4bbl

PA titling procedure
Posted by: Bustedbuick
Date: September 17, 2008 12:11PM

I've been lurking for a while, and I wanted to say hi, and see if you guys can give me some advice.

I have a '62 Skylark with the 4bbl in original, running condition. The interior, chrome and rear end are all in need of attention, and being that the car handles like canned cheese on ice, I have been thinking for a long time about getting a proper year MG and swapping the motor. Combine that with scarce parts for the Buick, and here I am.

I have recently found a candidate -- a '79 MGB that was meant to be used as a tub donor for a V8 project where a titled car would essentially bring title, vin plate and a few parts to the deal, and the "new" tub donor would essentially become that car, minus much rust. Accordingly, the vehicle was purchased as parts.

The conversion fever apparently fell through, and the complete shell is for sale.

After checking with the DMV here in Pennsylvania, I am told that the car CAN be registered and titled, but only as a "Specially Constructed Vehicle." PennDoT would issue a new VIN and title, supposing that the car passes an "enhanced" safety inspection, and fees, etc.

My question is whether any of you folks have any experience with this procedure, or one like it in other states, and how grueling was it?

The PennDoT fact sheet on Specially Reconstructed Vehicles is here, for the morbidly curious: [www.dot4.state.pa.us]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: PA titling procedure
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 17, 2008 03:30PM

I'd mostly be concerned about your emissions requirements. You may be able to pick up a hulk with title cheaper than you can comply with the regs.

Jim

Bustedbuick
Matt Junker
Pittsburgh-area, PA
(35 posts)

09/17/2008 11:52AM

Main British Car:
1962 215 4bbl

Re: PA titling procedure
Posted by: Bustedbuick
Date: September 17, 2008 03:59PM

I am told by the "special services" division of PennDot that there would be NO emission requirements, and minimal safety requirements (seat belts).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.