The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Advice please - car on Craigslist
Posted by: 88v8
Date: December 10, 2014 05:57PM

Needing some advice here please.
A car that interests me was flagged up in BAT, it was listed on Craigslist.
[bringatrailer.com]

I say 'was' because a few hours later it's already gone.

Now, this car appeared to tick a lot of boxes for me, I might have liked to buy it.
Over dinner, I had in fact pretty much decided. Oh well.

But buying at a distance, sight unseen, has its drawbacks, I've done it three times through eBay over here in the UK and bought three turkeys although in the end I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of them.

At least on eBay there is some form of come-back, if one wants. and there's the Feedback score, tells you something.
But on Craigslist? And if I decide to buy a car, how do I pay from thousands of miles away? Yes, I can make a bank transfer but it feels like lobbing money into a wishing well and hoping that a good fairy might pop out.

And I don't know how to use Craigslist, is there some way one can get regular postings like the stored email searches on eBay?

Would appreciate a steer on all this please.

Oh, and here's the other car that BAT mentioned. Another Jag.
It's a beauty, but pricey for a restorod, by UK standards.
[www.marktplaats.nl]#

Ivor

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Advice please - car on Craigslist
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 10, 2014 06:12PM

My son Matt has an '86 XJ6 with a SBC conversion and we both really like that car. The 350 has the "correct" level of performance for a vehicle of that size and weight. Plus it just sounds phenomenal.

Jim

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: December 11, 2014 07:49AM

Those jags are just beautiful,,, that car seemed to be going for fair money if it was as nice as the picture .
Dave

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 11, 2014 10:33AM

Craigslist is brilliant for connecting with local buyers or sellers. You can make an appointment to meet-up, test drive, negotiate, etc. - and since a personal connection is made, I feel that rip-offs are rare. When I sell something on Craigslist, I expect it to be gone in 48 hours, to not have to deal with shipping, and to have cash in hand at the end of the deal. No paypal commissions! In the last week I've sold a drill press, a guitar, and seven sheets of cement fiber siding on craigslist...

DonB
Don Bonar
Prairie Village, KS
(80 posts)

09/09/2011 10:06AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG-B 95 GM 3.4 V-6

Posted by: DonB
Date: December 11, 2014 04:50PM

And now for the other perspective... the is no way in hell I would ever buy a car, sight unsean.... with no inspection... across an ocean... with no legal recourse if it is not as represented. Could be perfectly legit but I'd take my chances in buying lottety tickets!

I have bought and sold on craig's list, never from my home address and never after dark!

Don B.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: December 12, 2014 08:15AM

There are a lot of scammers on CL. I have listed a couple of different cars for sale there and got responses from folks who wanted to send me a check for my asking price, sight unseen. Also, most of time when you see a price that is too good to be true it is probably a scam too. Google Craigslist scams.

If you want to search you can use SearchTempest.com or Autotempest.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 13, 2014 12:50PM

Curtis, you sold your guitar? What was it?

I use SearchTempest, too. I find it misses things, though. Things that will come up on Craigslist sometimes does not on SearchTempest.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: December 28, 2014 11:51PM

Cl is a bit hostile to buyers who are not local.

In this situation the only practical means of protecting yourself is to find someone in the area to have a look for you.
That can be difficult to arrange, particularly quickly, and by a person who knows what to look for on the model in question on that day.

This thread reminds me that I MUST put a Jag XK engine into a Chevy at least once in my liftime!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.