The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

howellmail1
jeff howell
Birmingham, AL
(3 posts)

08/19/2015 07:54PM

Main British Car:
1963 MGB Buick 215

Fuel sending unit issue
Posted by: howellmail1
Date: August 19, 2015 08:06PM

I wanted to ask the group about the fuel sending unit on my 1963 215 V8 MGB. I ordered a new sending unit from Moss and it is a piece of junk. Fuel goes into the sending unit and the rubber is not holding up with ethanol gas. I have replaced it once and same issue. It is leaking and another issue is that when you are running the needle bounces from E to F all the time. Does anyone know of a better fuel gauge that will work with a stock gauge or a complete replacement on both ends. I replaced the stock tank with a stainless steel tank but with the sending unit it is a real problem. I have baffles in the tank so the fuel moving is not the issue with the gauge.

Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks, Jeff Howell

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: Fuel sending unit issue
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 19, 2015 10:37PM

First off, welcome to the clan.
Do up a profile and introduce yourself.
We don't offend .....or bite.......often.

I would cut Moss a little slack on the sender. It's made to emulate the original. Which was never designed to deal with modern fuels.
You can take your originals apart and re-gasket them with ethanol compatible materials. Or better, plug that ridiculous side mount sender hole and use a top mount style sender.
Even if a top mount leaks it won't be catastrophic.
As far as the top mount sender goes there are many different suppliers. I tend to default to Autometer just because that's what I'm most familiar with.
You can match it up with their gauge or reuse your original.
As far as the original gauge. It will be a balanced coil unit which is "very" accurate. It reacts instantly to any change. That's why you see it rocketing all over the place.
To slow it down the manufacturer would have applied a heavy viscous fluid to the pivots to slow the gauge down.
Unfortunately that substance wears off over time. It's a simple operation for a instrument technician to reapply it.
You can even do it yourself. I use the heaviest RC shock silicone that I can find. Works like a charm.

Hope that's helpfull
Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.