The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: BritishV8 2017-Country Roads, Take Me Home
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 21, 2016 09:29PM

Damn glad I ain't old! :)

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: July 22, 2016 01:46PM

Carl needs the saltpeter.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 22, 2016 04:38PM

Not with those jokes!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: July 22, 2016 06:02PM

Rick I, just read of your "unfortunate" experience with John Denver music. Is it remotely possible you gave him the safety training, before his last flight ? Safer/faster.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 01, 2016 11:54AM

John Henry competed against a steam powered drill using a sledge hammer and chisel in the rock on this tunnel on the right. You can see the statue of John in the middle of the picture. This park is about 30 miles from our hotel
207.jpg

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: August 06, 2016 05:21PM

hotel reservation made
STAY WITH CHOICE HOTELS IN LEWISBURG, WV

Lewisburg is a town in the beautiful Greenbriar County, West Virginia. Travelers can visit the Confederate Cemetery and see the historic Andrew Lewis Park. Shop along Apricot Lane and take a fun-filled tour of the popular Cooper Art Gallery, or take a drive through the gorgeous Herns Mill Covered Bridge and watch a show at the Lewis Theatre. Whatever your reason for visiting, there are plenty of Choice Hotels in Lewisburg that are sure to make you feel right at home.

Enjoy the great outdoors at the Beartown State Park or Greenbrier State Forest, which offers fishing, hiking, swimming, hunting and more. Voyage 120 feet beneath ground to explore the beautiful rock formations of the Lost World Caverns. Check out American history at the Confederate Cemetery and Droop Mountain Battlefield, where 95 nameless Confederate soldiers were buried after the Battle of Lewisburg. You can see a film or live performance at Lewisburg’s Carnegie Hall, constructed by Andrew Carnegie in 1902 and is now operating as an education and arts center. You can also kick back at the Greenbrier Golf Course or shop until you drop at the Greenbrier Valley Mall, both conveniently located near most of our Lewisburg hotels. If your trip includes at least one special night out at a delightful, little restaurant, you won’t be disappointed here! You will find a variety of international cuisine made from local ingredients, as well as American dishes like steak, fries, burgers and so much more. With multiple hotels in Lewisburg, WV and the outlying areas, you can find the Choice hotel that meets your travel needs. Enjoy our warm hospitality, friendly customer service and great value. Scroll through our fine Lewisburg hotels listed below and book your stay online today. We look forward to hosting you very soon!

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 16, 2016 02:08PM

IMG_1827 (1).jpg
US 219 in WV last fall.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: September 17, 2016 12:34PM

Reservations made....we will see you all next June!

Mickey Richaud
Mickey Richaud
Townsend TN
(198 posts)

08/25/2015 06:36AM

Main British Car:
'03 Jaguar XK8 Jaguar 4.2

Posted by: Mickey Richaud
Date: September 18, 2016 07:48AM

We're in, too - reservation made yesterday.

Scott68B
Scott Costanzo
Columbus, Ohio
(562 posts)

10/25/2007 11:30AM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GM 5.3 LS4 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: Scott68B
Date: September 19, 2016 11:44AM

Just booked a double for Artie and myself.

Couldn't be more excited about going to WVA!!!

Scott

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: October 10, 2016 12:57PM

Must be a lot to engage in around Lewisburg. Dan visited a local brewery and distillery located within 1 mile or our hotel. Their products were good and we enjoyed the brews. Look forward to the 2017 V8 meet. make your plans and reservation now. Join us the night before in Wytheville Va. for the "Warm Up". See separate thread later.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 17, 2016 09:57AM

Jim and I spent a very full day yesterday driving WV roads and checking out attractions within about an hour to an hour and a half from the hotel. I think you all will be pleased with what we are coming up with. Some of the meet will remind you of Palestine, but much more mountainous. Jim Williams met with us on Tuesday evening. Jim W is a local MG and British enthusiast who has been on this forum before. Every suggestion he has given us has proven to be awesome so far. Jim B has all the information we have collected and is calculating driving times from place to place before we create an agenda. People in the area have been very receptive, maybe even excited that we are coming in June.

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 17, 2016 10:45PM

Sounds great Dan....looking forward to the meet!

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 18, 2016 08:02AM

The "Warm-Up" plans and location are w/i sight also. Just need to get the contract and final details worked out. Stay Tuned!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 18, 2016 12:10PM

What we have planned so far and subject to change, is the usual pizza in the parking lot on Wednesday evening along with a car washing spot set up. The Motel is an open room entrance type Quality Inn with a very nice bar and separate breakfast nook. A large second floor conference room fronted by a very nice sun room over the office and bar off to the side will do very well for out banquet. One light off the interstate in a plaza, it has a gas station/convenience and a chain restaurant on one side and just a short walk out the back door and across the lawn puts you at the door of the Wal-Mart. We suggest walking down the less steep part of the grassy bank there. Other useful places are right there also in easy walking distance. Main street is a few blocks further on. Jim Williams knows the local Chief of Police and will smooth the way for us a bit there, possibly even getting the Chief to show at our Meet-n-Greet. That isn't to say anybody can expect to get away with any monkeyshines, but it can't hurt. We will have a registration room in the strip across the parking lot from the Motel entrance and the Chamber of Commerce is going to set up a table there with flyers about all the local attractions and keep that stocked for us throughout the meet, so you will be able to find activities that interest you when you sign in, or later as well. Then Thursday and Saturday there are driving/sightseeing options which include:

1) a full day including a 2 hr drive on the loop to Cass where you can if you wish, take a ride up the mountainside on the Cass Scenic Railway to the 3rd highest point in W.Va. which is Bald Knob with a box lunch on the way. The view from there takes in 3 mountain ranges and includes the Green Bank radio-astronomy observatory which is only about 5 minutes from Cass and they do about a 1 hour tour which I believe costs $6. The train ride is about $60 and takes around 3 hours round trip. There is also a railroad shop tour which takes about an hour, they didn't mention a cost for that. There are 3 ways to get to Cass; Rt.92 is the quickest and straightest as it runs up through the bottom land between two ridges. That isn't to say it's straight by any means and any flatlander will find it interesting, and most others will as well. Higher speeds are possible. The more sports oriented drive is up Rt. 219 which is a slightly wider, more developed road with well executed curves and passing opportunities. This is the route we took on the way up and is a popular scenic drive, however we found traffic to be light. It is the road the Motel is on, and a main road into and out of Lewisburg so it does experience heavy traffic in town during rush hour, but the rest of the time it is lightly traveled. The 3rd route takes you into Virginia to Rt.220 and we hesitated to recommend it at first due to poorer roads and signage, and we just didn't expect much from it. However, what we discovered was a very nice section of mountain road about halfway down that really makes it worth recommending. There is also a nice but too short section at the far end that we followed down to the valley floor which is tight and twisty. A truck was polite enough to pull over and let us by so we could enjoy the drive. These sections are good enough to overcome the deficiencies in our opinions, including the congestion of a few towns on the route. You will also drive right by the famous Homestead Hotel resort in Hot Springs and the Greenbrier in White Sulphur. So overall, we recommend Rt. 219 going up, the Va. loop coming back, and if you want something a bit more sedate or quicker, then Rt. 92 is your best choice.

I think the train ride starts at about 11:00 AM so a relaxed morning still gets you there in time, with an Observatory tour or Cass shop tour either before, after or both. I think the observatory tours run every hour, and the shop tours would clearly be before and/or after the train ride. Or you could drive up, skip the train, find a spot for lunch and drive back. Plenty of options.

Our thoughts are to do this trip on Thursday as it is the longest day, and do the Hawks Nest run on Saturday, leaving Friday for things like a dyno session at K2 Motorsports, the Greenbrier Bunker tour, Organ Cave, or the swinging bridge run down to Paint Bank Va. on Rt 311 which shares part of the Rt. 220 loop, or other drives or activities that you might wish to pursue either solo or in a group.

2) the Hawks Nest run is considered a "Must Drive" for motorsports enthusiasts. Part of the old Midland Trail, US Rt. 60 was the only way across the middle of the state from pioneer times up into the 70's and 80's when the last of the Interstate system was finally completed. It still remains a fine, well maintained Federal Highway winding through several mountain ranges on it's way east to the Tidewater Basin, originally connecting Virginia Beach with Los Angeles and including the famous stretch now known as Rt. 66. The run will take about an hour and a quarter give or take, depending on driving style and traffic and although the primary target destination is Hawks Nest Overlook, the run is not complete without the drive down the western side of Gauley Mountain into Glen Ferris where if you like you can view Kanawha Falls either from the park below the falls or from the Glen Ferris Inn above. We still haven't sorted out the exact plan for lunch. GFI is nice but expensive, however it does have a quite interesting history. There is also the possibility of a picnic at Hawks Nest, bring your own to the park below the falls, and a few other local options. Sewell Mountain and Gauley Mtn. are the most interesting parts of the drive, but you also pass through numerous small towns mostly starting with the letter "A" and there's a roller coaster section approaching Rt. 19 from the east. 3 lanes are common in the mountainous sections, giving good passing opportunities but do not be surprised to see a pass at any area giving adequate sight distance. You may or may not see a state trooper, they don't spend much time on lightly traveled roads. The curves on this road can be very entertaining, for variety, condition of banking, quality of pavement, and width of surface. The stretch between the ridges is less exciting but the drive at the end makes it worthwhile.

On the return you have many options. Follow the same path, or branch off to either north or south, although the northern route through Summersville is likely to take a long time and be very contorted where the southern route will take you through either Fayetteville or Beckley and have plenty of options to bail out to I-64 or back to Rt. 60. One such route veers off to the right at Chimney Corners on the way back up the mountains and will take you over the "Drys" and back to Fayetteville. (The Drys are a stretch of the New River below Hawks Nest Dam which during the summer months is bony due to the flow being diverted through the Gauley Mtn tunnel to a power station below. During Hurricane season this is a true class six whitewater run restricted to highly experienced and professional paddlers, including a one mile long continuous rapid known, appropriately enough as Mile Long and containing the infamous Multi-Ender-Bender Bowl Hole. It really is a massive bowl in the river formed by gigantic standing waves.) You won't see any rapids in June though, just a great rocky riverbed. The road winds up the other side of the gorge and joins Rt. 19 just below the New River Gorge Bridge and from there you can do many things including a drive down under the bridge to a sandy beach beside the last rapid in the Gorge, a small detour out to the "Ram's Horn" cliffs on the rim over the Keeney Brothers rapids (an initiate only sightseeing opportunity), return north to Rt. 60, or proceed south to alternate routes back to Lewisburg including I-64 and Rt. 3 up the Greenbrier river. There is also an alternate very twisty road down to Terry and back up Rt.41 towards Sewell Mtn.

We thought we would do this trip Saturday and your route could determine your starting time. Or, you could run a reverse route, coming back via Rt. 60, giving you a known return time to make it back in time for the banquet. Of course, once you have reached Glen Ferris, you do have the option of returning via the W.Va. Turnpike as well, and I believe you can head up Paint Creek from Montgomery to hit an access. I'd have to check though, it's been awhile. There is also a bridge below the falls that leads to a very twisty road up the other side to Fayetteville/Oak hill.

For those not so interested in driving, we are practically in the heart of Lewisburg and there are a great number and range of attractions to distract you. A few of the flyers we picked up include a small distillery across from a microbrewery, a hard cider facility, a BBQ called "When Pigs Fly", 2 local cave tours, numerous state parks and civil war battlefields, the Greenbrier River trail, theatre, local shops and restaurants, the state fairgrounds, and further out things like the Cranberry Glades and even Pearl S. Buck's birthplace, so there will be no excuse for boredom.

So all in all a most excellent scouting trip, and we have more to go. But I think you will all find things to enjoy and this could easily shape up to be one of the better meets we've done. Dan and I are setting the bar low. We would like everyone to enjoy their visit and don't expect any more than that, but we fully intend to leave most of it up to you. Yes, we'll organize the Banquet and the shirts and hats and make recommendations about what you can do, but the choices you make are yours. We'd suggest forming groups for the various activities, the ideal size might be anywhere from 2 to eight or ten cars, and would encourage considerable rotation among the groups formed but that's just a suggestion.

Oh, and a word or two about K2 Motorsports is in order. This is a brand spanking new facility, being completed as we stopped by. It is a "Destination" shop rather than a local garage, with state of the art facilities and equipment. As you walk in you are greeted by dark simulated marble epoxy floors fitted with carpet insets at the bay doors for the cars. An impressive rolling road dyno with large textured drums doubles down with a second movable set of drums for awd and 4wd dyno use. An engine dyno and motorcycle dyno are being installed as well, and these all have their own dedicated soundproofed rooms. The main hall is large and spacious with a 2 story overhead and a railed mezzanine around two sides. The complex forms a large "U" shape with individual garages forming two sides and the main hall and office the third with a conference type office at the other corner. Naturally there is plenty of parking out front which is adequate to accommodate our entire group. Neither of us had any idea that a facility of this type existed anywhere in the state, let alone within 5 miles of downtown Lewisburg, so we owe a great big thanks to Jim Williams for sending us their way.

Jim

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 18, 2016 02:29PM

Great synopsis, Jim.

More on K2....we don't know what kind of arrangements we can make with them yet, as it boils down to costs, but they have already hosted the Jeep folks and said they could create activities for a whole day just at their shop. It is a mother/son shop. The brochure does say "for the discerning car owner" though.
We were thinking dyno day, something like Palestine. We will have to get rates. [www.k2motorsports.org]

Also, the Cass Scenic Railroad park attendant told us it may be possible to get an entire car on the train reserved for our group, and the group rate for the train ride should come down from the regular rate if we have a large group. We may arrange this as a group depending on interest. [www.cassrailroad.com]

We visited The Asylum in downtown and they wanted to keep us....
actually it is a bar and grille and has pretty good food, craft beer on tap, an outside deck, parking, etc. The town also has a gourmet pizza shop, an Irish pub, and several other eateries including Mike's favorite, "Food & Friends."
[www.lewisburgasylum.com]
[www.foodandfriendslewisburgwv.com]

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 18, 2016 06:56PM

Will be visiting Food and Friends frequently while there....great food...

John Hamilton
John Hamilton
Navarre, FL
(23 posts)

10/28/2009 11:18PM

Main British Car:
1965 MGB 1840 cc MGB

Posted by: John Hamilton
Date: November 18, 2016 11:05PM

Now that "Buck" is finished (in race car trim) I guess I need to think about lights and mufflers so I can join the festivities. I'm pretty sure they would frown on the open exhaust.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: November 19, 2016 11:07AM

You can join us, John, without a British conversion! I traveled to the 1998 & 1999 Meet in my stock 1979 4 cylinder MGB & to the 2000 Meet in my Dad's stock 1963 MGB.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 01, 2016 11:21AM

Here are some photos I took on part of our scouting trip, riding in the Lincoln Limo. First shot is coming into the snake on Rt. 60, which as you can see is easy to dive bomb down the middle.

IMG_0002.JPG

And I'd expect nobody in a LBC to have any problem with that but if you do it's possible to gather up a lot of speed so that the following curves can be quite exciting.
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

Only thing is, back in the 70's when quarry trucks made frequent trips here, the resultant slide into the center lane on this next curve;
IMG_0007.JPG

had you riding the marbles all the way to the guard rail. The road was clear when we were there, but bear in mind it might not always be so.

Now, as you run this section you may wonder how one slides into the center lane? Well, combine a 1970 350 Olds Cutlass with a precocious 18 year old just learning how to 4 wheel drift and the picture becomes a little clearer. I wouldn't recommend it. That curve may not be quite as blind as it looks but it is close enough that going over the line at all there isn't really the sort of thing anyone should be doing for any reason, and the snake section is there to help you slow down before this curve so it doesn't happen. Some of us just have to learn the hard way I guess.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 11:52AM by BlownMGB-V8.
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.