The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Moss Motoring Challenge
Posted by: britcars
Date: July 28, 2016 11:40AM

Here's a couple of photos taken while I've been participating in the Moss Motoring Challenge. Both myself and PJ Lenihan have been posting on the Moss Challenge Facebook site. The scavenger hunt style of this challenge gives me a bit more incentive to get out and drive the B. Anyone else from British v8 taking part?
Wright Cyclone Radial Start (Copy).jpg
This isn't on Moss's points sheet but posted for those interested in aircraft. I bumped into a friend on a tour who is an aircraft mechanic, pilot and aircraft builder. He salvaged this Wright Cyclone Radial Engine from a crashed Grumman TBM Avenger once used here as a water bomber. The engine couldn't be used again in an aircraft so he built this "toy".
Military Vehicle.b (Copy).jpg
Found a military vehicle, The LAV III Kodiak armored personnel carrier, carry 6-8 soldiers, a driver and a commander. They weigh about 16 tonnes and will do 60mph. They've been known to get air under all eight wheels at times. My son commanded one of these for a while.
Helicopter (Copy).jpg
I wasn't having any luck finding a helicopter on the apron of the local helicopter business so I'm left with this Kiowa mounted on a pole.
Fruit.Vegetable Stand (Copy).jpg
Found a fruit/vegetable stand in my recent travels....do you think that they might sell potatoes?

One item on Moss's list is a sign with bullet holes. Not having any luck so guess I'll have to create my own!

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: July 28, 2016 01:26PM

Phil, those are great photos, hope you are planning on attending the Lewisburg WV meet next year.

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: July 28, 2016 09:49PM

Phil, I am doing the Challenge, the other day we were in Blythe AR and got our "kids lemonade stand"
7_destinations_childs_lemonade_stand~01[1].jpg

Then the other day we got our"X" town,
1_city_town_xenophon,_TN~01[1].jpg

I met PJ in Louisville along with David from Moss.

charles

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 29, 2016 12:07AM

You & Perky were in Louisville?! MG2016?

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2016 08:02AM

You betya. It was HOT even in the shade, glad the A/C decided to quit till after we got home. Were you in Louisville?

You planning on the Rugby thing that Jim W. is part of ? Rugby is where I met your Dad.

Phil, Thanks for sharing your photos.

They say they do sell potatoes, but only New ones, not sure if I have ever eaten a used potatoe.

I bet that trailer would be one fast ride, how does he aim it and where does he sit ? Oh I see, he stands on the back of the trailer.

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2016 11:19PM

Charles, I’m sure the trailer would be a fast and scary ride if the Avenger prop was its full 12 foot plus diameter. :-) The cut down prop cools the cylinders and the oil and musses up Jerry’s hair but doesn’t move it off the jackstands. It is impressive to watch the startup, all the smoke and the sound of that round engine at full throttle.
At one time a local company, Forest Protection, had the largest fleet of operating Avengers in the world. I loved the distinctive sound of that radial. Initially used for spruce budworm spraying, they were later converted into fire bombers, selling the last one in 2012 and replacing them with AT802 AirTractors, some on floats.

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 31, 2016 09:40PM

Charles:
We went for a tour today, covered about three hundred miles and stopped at the Woodsman's Museum about 45 miles from home. They have a TBM Avenger in their yard built from parts recovered from planes that crashed either spraying or water bombing.
TBM Avenger (2) (Copy).JPG
TBM Avenger (3) (Copy).JPG

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 31, 2016 10:35PM

Thanks, that is a large plane and played a larger service during its life. They last and last, The DC3s are still in service south of the other border.

I just finished reworking the A/C in my B, so I will be back out there trying to get another point or two.

Happy trails
charles

lawnvett
PJ Lenihan
Winston-Salem, NC
(477 posts)

04/29/2009 11:37AM

Main British Car:
74 MGB-GT 3.4 V-6 crate, 5 spd

Posted by: lawnvett
Date: August 06, 2016 04:56PM

my challenge is going well but I won't be able to catch up with Perky & Charles.
One of the Miata guys has done 49 states!!
The WVA get together should be a hoot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.