The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

simpkinsok
Kent Simpkins

(1 posts)

01/13/2018 01:40PM

Main British Car:

Introduction of the new Triumph EV6
Posted by: simpkinsok
Date: January 14, 2018 01:15PM

Hello,
My Name is Kent Simpkins, I am planning to put the Triumph TR6 1976 back into production, but plan to make it all electric, it will be called the Triumph EV6 , plan to produce it in the USA from original parts made at the British Motor Heritage, after I get the the EV 6 off the ground plan to the Austin Healey 3000 next. What do you think ? Would like to hear your thoughts web site classicsportcars.net to see pictures. Thank you

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Introduction of the new Triumph EV6
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 14, 2018 06:01PM

I doubt there's much market for cars that can't be registered and insured for use on public roads. And I expect that's what you'll be up against, because new cars have to meet so many safety requirements that didn't exist in 1976.

I know in Colorado there's a loophole to allow simple electric vehicles with speed governors. (I think the speed limit for them is 25mph.) Two electric car dealers in my old town went out of business while I lived there. What they were selling looked like cars, but operated like golf carts.

Now, you could sidestep many issues by producing three-wheeled "motorcycles".

Have you checked out Morgan's awesome electric Three Wheeler? [www.morgancars-usa.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 10:37PM by Moderator.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 15, 2018 12:20AM

Curtis - The EV3 is definitely cool! And, I'm with you on the market being relatively small -- and shrinking as most of us who remember these cars from our youth are aging. You are WAY closer to the industry regulations than I am, but, for low quantities I'd think there must be a way. Look at some of the Cobra "kit" companies. If I'm not mistaken, Backdraft only sells fully completed cars and you can get one fully built from Factory 5. And isn't this similar (albeit not electric) to what Costello did recently?

Kent - even if I'm right about a way to do limited production without meeting all of the modern safety regulations, you still have to consider the market being pretty small. While I'm a huge fan of British cars of the era, I think from a business perspective, the Miata would be a much bigger market (still small by automotive standards, but plenty big for a small business) and it'd have a longer runway than LBC's from the 50s/60s/70s. Consider a Miata with Tesla performance :).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 12:33AM by rficalora.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: January 16, 2018 07:06PM

The laws changed to allow up to - was it 50 or so PER YEAR of any given model of car to be recreated. Federally, I believe they can be registered as 2018 models but I'm not sure about the channels to go through.

Yes, if enough of us wanted to get together and build a Triumph, MG or some other car and we pooled our resources, marketing and so on, this is possible. If someone like Kent can do it, More power to you. (Electrically speaking)

I agree the market is limited but there is someone out there that wants it and I am glad to see new faces join the British car game. Rather than looking at things as if they are dying, get new people involved. There is a lot of fun to be had no matter whether a person grew up with these or not.

Speaking of this project, what are you planning for a gearbox or are you looking at a direct drive system Kent? Are you planning a different rear pumpkin or the TR6 pumpkin with the stock ratio and all or?? Please, tell us more.

-BMC.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 17, 2018 12:27PM

Dana has a new CVT that might be worth looking into.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.