The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 31

EODTex87
Chris Savage

(1 posts)

11/08/2011 11:01PM

Main British Car:

New Guy
Posted by: EODTex87
Date: November 08, 2011 11:09PM

Hi y'all,

My name is Chris and I am a young guy stationed in California with the USAF. I am originally from Texas and I got the wild idea to start a project car about a year ago. After reviewing several cars I saw a '67 Healey 3000 BJ8 and decided it was the right car for me. I lack experience with auto mechanics, but I am learning quickly in the hopes that I can begin my project very soon. I would like to pick up a "barn find" Healey 3000 and restore it to almost it's exact factory specs with a small tweak or three for performance. I saw the 3000 with the Chevy 454 and almost drooled on my computer. I think for my talents and budget though I should work towards something easier to manage since I want to accomplish as much of the work on the car myself as I can. I will be reviewing posts and advice columns on here to find the best combinations for me on engine choice, and other performance items, but any personal advice would be appreciated. Also I really want to get out to one of y'alls big events despite not having a Healey of my own yet to show off. Looking forward to what I can learn here.

-Chris

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 09, 2011 08:25AM

Welcome Chris. This site is all about engine swaps (and some that came w/v8's from the factory), but the crew here is great and will likely have lots to share. Do military bases still have auto craft shops? If so, that's a great resource - access to tools but also expertise. Also if the air force moves you around every couple of years you'll want to be sure to plan to be at a stage where you can move the car whenever your next transfer comes up - and remember everything takes longer than we plan!

The meet this coming year is in Palestine TX (east of Dallas) so plan a trip "home" & join the meet in one vacation.

interceptor
Johnny Joenborg
Mount Vernon, Kentucky
(4 posts)

11/12/2011 12:07AM

Main British Car:
1970 Ford Capri Rover 3500

authors avatar
Posted by: interceptor
Date: November 12, 2011 02:02AM

Hey all
I'm Johnny and I'm working on a little different project but hope that I'll still fit in this forum. The car started out as a 1970 Ford Capri 1.6 l four speed. I'm trying to turn it into the '' Last V8 Interceptor '' ( Mad Max movie) and the engine choice was a Rover V8/BW35. It's put together using parts from more than 8 different cars and I'm still looking for suitable parts to finish it but it's in a state now where I can drive it.
I'm looking forward to be a part of this great forum.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 13, 2011 02:50PM

Coooool! We don't see nearly enough British Fords around here. Welcome to the forum Johnny!

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

01/25/2011 04:52PM

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Posted by: flyinlow
Date: December 29, 2011 12:13PM

Hi All
I have owned two Spitfires and an MGB in the past but the last one was in 1995
they were all just stock
Just recently picked up a 1964 MK1 spitfire that I was going to install a northstar v8 in but after taking some measurements and with the northstar being so wide plus having its coolant ports on the back of the engine decided it wasnt worth the effort so I picked up a low mileage fuel injected 5.0 HO and T5 5speed from a 1989 mustang GT that I will be installing instead plus the fact that I was a heavy line tech for ford for over 15 years makes it a no brainer.
Managed to find a fiberglass MK1 GT6 bonnet as well as being lighter than the stock steel bonnet the bulge will give me a little more room and with a custom built upper intake plenum should be able to keep the engine under the bonnet without a scoop
for rear suspension I will be narrowing a 1992 C4 corvette dana 44 rear suspension not sure what I will be doing for front suspension yet but do have some 1984 buick riviera front steering arms and brakes that happen to have ball jounts just about perfectly spaced to adapt to the stock a arms
Allot of your cars and craftsmanship are an inspiration
Kevin
Elko NV

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 04:14PM by flyinlow.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Date: January 14, 2012 04:20PM

Hope everybody had a good holiday season !
there is allot of good information on this site and I appreciate the efforts put in by the people that created and run it
Thank You
Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 04:28PM by flyinlow.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: January 14, 2012 04:27PM

Welcome Kevin, Belated Just do not ck here very often. Great to see another Blue Oval Brit Car.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Date: January 14, 2012 04:35PM

Thanks Kelly
that is a Really nice clean MG you have, lots of classy details and really clean
It is definitely an inspiration

howardhogan
Howard Hogan
West Jordan, Utah
(7 posts)

12/15/2011 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Soon to be Ford 302

Posted by: howardhogan
Date: January 23, 2012 07:48PM

Hello, my name is Howard. I have a 1977 MGB that I have totally stripped down. My intentions are to install a Ford 302, T5 transmission, and a Ford 8.8 rear end. I have recently pulled the rear end from a 1998 Ford Explorer and have found someone here in Salt lake City to narrow it for me. They also have a set of 3.07 gears they will install which would probably be better than the 3.73 that is in it now. Any thoughts of the 3.07 with 15" wheels? I have bought new outer wheel wells and plan to widen the rear wheel well about 2" so that I can fit a larger/wider tire in the rear. I havent decided yet on either a 3 link or a triangulated four link rear suspension. I also haven't decided on what to do about the front suspension yet but will probablydo alot of research and then try to struggle through making my own. There are alot of great looking cars on this site that give me inspiration.

I have attached a photo of what the car looks like now. I need to get it sand blasted, I have been doing alot of grinding but that is just too much work.

20111113_1.jpg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 23, 2012 08:44PM

Welcome Howard, looks like you're well on your way and have a pretty good idea what you need to do and where to find the information. You'll get a ton of help here, all you have to do is ask.

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

New TR6 Owner
Posted by: Med72
Date: January 31, 2012 09:48PM

First of all, this forum is, what I consider a great find. Twenty-one (21) years ago I had a 74 TR6 and I loved every minute I was driving it. Two kids later, I have the Triumph fever again. For years, I have wanted to pick up an old Truimph and restored it right.

I purchased a 1972 TR6 and I plan to totally restore it back to life. I plan to install a Chevy SB and T5 tranny. I have read many of the messages from fellow enthusiast and it has been extremely helpful. I am still debating whether to use a solid rearend or beef up the RIS.

Does anybody have some tips for fabricating a backend frame for a Ford 9" or Chvy 12 bolt?

Great Forum!!!

Med72

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: January 31, 2012 10:23PM

Art,

Welcome aboard!

Check this out: [www.fastcarsinc.com]

It's set up for a Ford, but I'm sure Ted could modify it for a Chevy.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Date: February 01, 2012 05:11PM

Welcome Howard & Art
I am new here also its good to see more projects starting
Howard, you don't live too far from me, I am in Elko nv and I am also using a fuel injected ford 5.0 and T5
I was a ford heavy line tech for 15+ years, if I can be any help let me know

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: February 11, 2012 03:23PM

Hello from Asheville, NC.

I'm a British sports car nut. Unfortunately (for my wife), we're empty nest and I've set my sights on an MGB GT V8 conversion. Having done a shoddy job of one in the 70's when I was a teen, I've always wanted to work out the real deal. I've waited 36 years for this, well, not quite . . . I've had a few shots at it in the mean time.

When I met my lovely wife in 1980, I owned a 72 MGB, 57 AH 100-6, 58 MGA, and the odd Fiat 850 and Honda Accord. A new wife and child precluded further ownership of said collection so my early "adult" years I was accompanied by a 78 Honda Accord, 69 TR6 I was restoring (and did, my daily driver for 2 years), and a 78 MB 280 SC.

Building a house required trucks, tools, money, etc . . . and my new business required time and money and time and money, and then all of a sudden my little girl needs a car . . . and 24 hours later . . . needs another car . . . and four years later goes to college . . . and then . . .

So, such is life and I really enjoy reading and looking at others' conversions here. I just want to do this one correctly and appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. You all are GENIUSES!

Cheers,
Tim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 11, 2012 04:34PM

Welcome Tim. Do you have any preconceived notions of the sort of car you'd like to build?

Before you decide for sure you should come to our BritishV8 meet in May.

Jim

stub
Stuart Bell

(1 posts)

02/13/2012 02:49AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: stub
Date: February 13, 2012 03:04AM

Hi
I have bought my first V8!
Land Rover Discovery V8 4.0ltr, I work in the industry and spent best part of 14 years in the product development (engine test) of of a well known manufacturer based in warwicksire, now work 'upstream' on all things that affect the cost of ownership, I have worked for the company for 21yrs this year.
My Discovery is an LPG converted with a Landi Renzo multipoint system that was installed at 15K now I am the 3rd owbner at 66K

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 12, 2012 07:46PM

Hey Jim,

Wish I could get to Texas in the spring. Hate I missed the Tennessee meet. I've been corresponding with Dan Masters to take a jaunt over the mountain and check his beauty out. His local club has a meet in May that I'm planning on attending. My lovely bride just came home from the hospital after spinal surgery so plans are on slow simmer right now. This was a rather sudden event so my year's plans are going to be in flux. I'm from Texas and any excuse to come "home" would normally be a no-brainer, unfortunately . . . .

As far as preconceived notions, I love Dan's GT, I also love the top down. I want a well behaved, smart handling LBC, sublimely modified with classic looks, power-on-demand and lots of low end torque. I'm not necessarily into max speed but usable power and loping along at 60mph at 1500RPM.

Tim

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 22, 2012 06:52PM

Hey guys,

just bought a 1996 Land Rover Disco w/ 4.0 V8. Unfortunately it has an AT. Well maintained by the book from the original owner (little-old-lady) and got it for a great price! I thought this over and decided if I bought the entire vehicle I'll be able to get all the EFI management out along with peripherals so I'm not running blind when reinstalling. AND, I can part out the rest to make the engine pretty much free.

I'm an acquaintance of the land rover dealer here and there's a huge community of offroaders who modify these old horses and he thinks I'll be able to unload the entire thing to the local club for more than I paid. So I guess I'm on my way . . . (a weak woohoo!)

Thanks for your knowledge base and your willingness to help out the people you all inspire.

Tim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 22, 2012 11:33PM

Congrats Tim & welcome. Hope your wife is recovering well!

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 23, 2012 03:28PM

Thanks Rob! She is doing much better. She's got some nerve damage that we hope is temporary. She walked outside yesterday without any assistance. Made me very happy. The home health people here in Asheville are angels!

Tim
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.