The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 31

deckofficer
Bob Lemke

(5 posts)

07/13/2012 03:47AM

Main British Car:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: deckofficer
Date: July 13, 2012 04:24AM

Hi all,

We share a couple of things in common, crazy power to weight ratios, and I have a British rear end, a Jag IRS. I came across this forum researching for a friend just how much you can squeeze out of a turbo 2.3 L Ford 4 banger, and liked what I saw here. If my ride isn't a "fit" here, that is OK, just let me know. I've been into hot rods for 40 years and currently have stopped fighting the Laws of Physics by trying to make a 4500 lb box on wheels perform at a high level. My ride tips the scales at 1790 lb, and the sbc I built for torque, lots as low as possible. Mounted the engine and trans so low in the frame that a stock oil pan would only have 3/4" clearance to the road. CG is around spindle height, so no moment-arm to cause leaning in turns. Gave up around 120 hp on 383 sbc stroker build on the high end to have 516 lb/ft a just 2800 rpm feeding a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed 0.64 OD manual, into that Jag 3.54 IRS and 31" tires. Makes for a tall top cog, turning 1700 rpm at 70 mph. At 65~70 mph on a flat highway, has managed to break 30 mpg, yet at Sacramento Raceway ran a 10.8 @ 132. I generally just short shift on the street with that low rpm torque, 1700, shift, drops to 1200 and again.

I am retired Merchant Marine, and need fun rides to compensate my 12 mph to 20 mph in one hour type of performance. Engine output 65,000 hp @ 115 rpm for that performance.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Day%20tripping/DSC013201014x760.jpg

This gives a good idea as to how tall I'm geared, heading down I-5 to LA.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Overdrive/DSC01409.jpg

But this is how I drive 99% of the time.
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Overdrive/DSC013911014x760.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 04:39AM by deckofficer.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: July 13, 2012 10:00AM

You are welcome here Bob. No doubt there are things we can learn from you.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 13, 2012 12:02PM

Welcome! Yep, this ride definitely qualifies as "British Enough" to fit in fine around here. I'm very curious to know how you cool that engine, but perhaps that's a topic for a thread of its own... maybe for the Other British Cars section?

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: July 13, 2012 12:53PM

Bugs on the windshield - I love it!

Welcome!

deckofficer
Bob Lemke

(5 posts)

07/13/2012 03:47AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: deckofficer
Date: July 13, 2012 02:15PM

Thanks guys, nice welcome, so I'll pull up a chair and hang with you good folks. The ride started with only 3" of original 1923 Ford Model T frame, but it was the important 3" that had the VIN #. Reg'ed in California as a 1923, so no smog, horn, turn signals, well you get the idea, easy to keep light. I am accepted into the T-bucket groups and I enjoy on a social level those folks, but there interest is bling, billet, chrome, and engines that are built with components that make them look powerful, but in reality hinders their street performance such as tunnel rams and 2 stroke diesel refuge blowers.

I'm hoping with this group more of an emphasis on pure performance, not show and shine as in the T-bucket groups. Any gatherings in the 7 western states that might have auto cross, rodeos, or other events that test the car and driver?

As to cooling, yes, that has been a bit of an issue. Currently running a 2 core AND 3 core together (common tank) and a fabbed shroud to pull as much air through as possible.

Bob

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/wrenching%20on%20the%20T/DSC010271014x760.jpg

david kipling
david kipling

(1 posts)

07/19/2012 11:01AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: david kipling
Date: July 19, 2012 12:02PM

I found this site via surfing for Formula 5000 and came across the terrific piece on Bob McRae's cars, and was impressed by the writing and photography.

I spectated at British club racing from about 1960 on, before emigrating to Canada in 1977. Although I made foot-and-bus pilgrimages to Silverstone and Mallory, some of my happiest days were at the stock cars, speedway, karts, and at the first Santa Pod drag races. Nowadays I do the announcing at my local drag races, and my favourit race track is in Washington State: a banked 1/3 mile clay oval that is blindingly fast --- the 410 sprint cars lap it in less than 11 seconds --- 99mph average speed.

I maintain a website devoted to the history of British stock-car racing. Don't snigger --- there were and are some brilliant drivers and mechanics. Remember Vanwall? One of their mechanics starred on British oval tracks, using an Olds Rocket V-8 mated to a Ferrari Superamerica gearbox! And of course F1 racers Derek Daley and Derek Warwick started their careers in stock cars.
www.oldstox.com

Nowadays I risk my 66-year old neck once a year by taking out a full-race kart, which gives me a rude awakening, or attempt to get Turn One just right in a little Honda at a track day. Regrettably I am no mechanic!
david in pits 1.jpg
David and Honda.jpg

robert.milne
Robert Milne

(4 posts)

07/18/2012 03:32PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: robert.milne
Date: July 20, 2012 03:09PM

Hello I am from Brampton Ontario Canada, about 20 minutes northwest of Toronto. I have what I believe according the serial number is a 1975 MG B. I am a retired automotive mechanic of over 37 years. I say mechanic because what the are training "techs" today is just to change parts, not to fix or repair. I offer my assistance to anyone who wishes to ask, not that I am an expert. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum that have forgotten more than I know . I plan to install a 5.0 ford and T5 into the B and doing my research here. I wiil probably ask a lot of questions that have already been answered, I ask for your patience.
Thank you and hope that every day is GREAT.

twowheeler63
Mark Davis
Paola, KS
(3 posts)

07/19/2012 08:32PM

Main British Car:
1958 Hillman Minx Convertible, 1980 MGB 1400cc, 1800cc

Posted by: twowheeler63
Date: July 20, 2012 03:46PM

Hello, my names Mark. My wife and I have a 1980 MGB, which we bought and drove into the ground over the last 20 years. It's now slated for a complete rebuild.
We also have attained the 1958 Hillman Minx convertible that was my first car to drive in 1972 after my mom and older siblings were done with it. It also needs a lot of work.
I was just getting ready to start on the B, when I shattered my ankle helping my brother erect a carport. I'm disabled for the next few months, so maybe we'll have another mild winter here in Kansas and I can get started then.
Glad to have found this forum.

profjohn
John Yates
UK
(6 posts)

07/17/2012 03:44PM

Main British Car:
1967 MGB GT V8 Rover 3.5 litre

authors avatar
Posted by: profjohn
Date: July 20, 2012 05:05PM

Hi, I'm John and I live in wet Derbyshire in the UK. This is my '67 GT V8 that I've just put back on the road and driven to Le Mans Classic. I've done a few unusual things to the rear suspension, which I'll write up for the 'How it was done' section.
MGBGT July 2012.jpg

rocket
Rodney Hoover

(8 posts)

08/24/2012 12:59PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rocket
Date: August 25, 2012 01:24AM

Hi. Well I have already posted a couple things, so I guess I should introduce myself. My Name is Rodney Hoover, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, between Sacramento, Ca. and Lake Tahoe. I have come back to this site because of a request from forum members to know more about the 7 series BMW diff in my V8 Spitfire MK3 Thant is currently for sale on ebay. I'll try to write up a build story and send in a disc later. I also have a 1969 BSA Rocket 3 , BSA A65 Trackmaster 1/2 mile dirt track bike .An Alta Trials bike & a Triumph Sprint. I have several american classic cars and trucks, along with an all steel home made Roadster Royale that is 20 feet long and looks like a 29 Deusenberg, with a 464CI Cummins Diesel and Allison 6 speed automatic. Just a little 2 seat sports car that weighs 6000LBS. that I use it to tow my Vintage 26ft. Airstream travel trailer/(caravan) for those in England. I also own a vintage ski boat with a 215 Aluminum Olds and Velvet Drive inboard. Among way too many othe vehicles to list. Rodney

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

01/25/2011 04:52PM

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Posted by: flyinlow
Date: August 28, 2012 09:18PM

Welcome to the British V8 forum Rodney
sounds like you have some fun toys, I also have a Triumph Sprint ST along with other unusual toys
I am in elko area which is about 300 miles east of reno so it could be a day trip to visit

rollininmymg
Eric Delgado

(1 posts)

09/30/2012 09:02PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: rollininmymg
Date: October 01, 2012 08:16AM

My names Eric. I'm from Oklahoma. I drive a 1975 MGB. I have had it for about 9 months and I love it. It has a Chevy 4.3 v6 that makes this car scoot. I just recently took the front and rear bumper off and I'm going to be buying a front and rear valance for it. Not sure where yet.

WernerVC
Werner Van Clapdurp
Lynchburg, Va
(108 posts)

09/06/2009 12:56PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1977 Rover 3.5

Posted by: WernerVC
Date: October 11, 2012 09:27PM

My name is Werner and I am not new to this forum as I have asked some questions.
I have a 1977 RB that I bought in 1988 with 75K on the odometer. For the next 10 years I put about 20K miles on the car as my daily driver winter and summer from Canada to Florida and from Virginia to the mid west. In 98 the 4-banger was tired and I came across the V8 newsletter from Kurt Schley. That gave me the idea to install a Rover 3.5V8 with Rover 5 speed gear box. Drove another 50K until I decided to make the big step to EFI. Been working on and off at this project and will start a project write up in the project forum soon. Body has the normal typical rust under the doorsills and rear fenders so lots of work going on in that area.
MVC-696F.JPG

Wagonmaster505
Scott Elliott
Albuquerque, New Mexico
(4 posts)

11/02/2012 08:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 Jaguar XJ6-L Chevy 350ci.

Posted by: Wagonmaster505
Date: November 02, 2012 08:57AM

Hello all,

I just found this site yesterday and I am thrilled. I have a 1976 Jaguar XJ6L although the 6 is now a Chevy small block V-8 350ci mated to a TH400 tranny.

I am currently replacing the rack and pinon and plan a road trip for right after. I will post about the trip.

I'm in New Mexico, anyone near here?

Scott

mine PA140004 (3).jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 02, 2012 02:18PM

Welcome Scott!

1oldbuzz
Scott Chynoweth

(1 posts)

11/24/2012 05:51AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 1oldbuzz
Date: November 24, 2012 06:20AM

Hello;Found the site a little while back,while looking for V8 MG TD info.I aquired a 52 in spring in pieces.Was told it had a small block chevy back in the day.Although the radiator modifications makes me think it had a ford.I am planning to drop,or force in a 283 with a 700R4 overdrive,with a rear end from a 62 chevy nova.Rear was with the car.I also just picked up a 65 MGB for the front suspension,cheapest way I could find to upgrade to disc brakes on the front.I sure hope that swap goes easy.This whole build has to be done on a budget with ZERO balance to work with,so it will take some time.
Pic isn't much to look at.Time to browse the message boards.
Scott
2.JPG

pointnette
Stan Thompson
France
(13 posts)

11/24/2012 07:56AM

Main British Car:
1999 Toyota Corolla; 1978 Volvo 244 both run bicarburation LPG/petrol

Posted by: pointnette
Date: November 24, 2012 08:51AM

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a long time, because I find many of the things you do quite interesting.

I don't have a British car at present, although I've had three big Healeys in various stages of disrepair, one of which, the 100 had a V8. It was the smallest of the small block Chevys, the one before the 283, attached to a 2-speed powerglide transmission. Unfortunately, it was a real mess, a terrible cobble job and it made me leery of swaps for a long time afterwards.
I used to have a MGB too. A very early banjo axle with the A gearbox and the three bearing crankshaft. Bought it for $100 and run the stuffing out of it after changing the clutch and lighting the valve train. Despite its battered state it impressed me because of its ridged chassis and very accurate steering.

I'm especially interested in the suspension modifications but most of what you guys do wouldn't get past the 'contrôle technique' here in France! Still, I enjoy reading, theorizing and dreaming.

Stan

johnwilson
John Wilson

(2 posts)

11/23/2012 02:47PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: johnwilson
Date: November 27, 2012 04:47PM

Hello all

I live in England and have had the mgbgtv8 for 30years.During that time we have constantly developed it into the car it is today.I have always been into Motorsport and first competed in hill climbs and sprints progressing to the circuit later.The best way to view the car is by viewing the website I have just set up.
regards
Www.johnwilsonracing.com

Regards
John Wilson

classic gary
gary fitzgibbon

(2 posts)

12/09/2012 08:10PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic gary
Date: December 09, 2012 08:33PM

Howdy,
I'm from Albuquerque, NM. My current project is a 3.9 Rover/Muncie 4 speed combo in a 1928 Ford Sport Coupe. In looking for info on the engine I found this "place", I've already learned ALOT !! My plan is to make the Rover motor look like a Buick 215. I want the whole car to look like a circa 1965"ish" build.
Anyway, I'm learning/reading everything I can. Thanks for being here !

Gary aka classic gary

goal10r
Marty Johnson
Flint MIchigan
(20 posts)

12/05/2012 09:50PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 5.0 Ford WC t-5

Newbie tries hand at v-8 project on MGB
Posted by: goal10r
Date: December 10, 2012 10:39AM

Hello fella's and ladies, wanted to introduce myself- I'm the "newbie" on the block. My name is Marty Johnson and I've owned a 1977 MGB for several years. I made a rotisserie out of some steel and I've redone all floor boards, trunk, shocks and most all rubber bushings, the electrical is about half done. When I bought the "B" I pulled off the carb and cleaned, tweaked a couple things here and there and fired it up and drive it for about 3 miles. Ran decent, no smoke, only 53,000 miles so I pulled the engine and set it aside while I tackled the under carriage, floors, trunk, body panels, paint, switched over to wire wheels and the plan is for a chrome bumper conversion so I added the little do-hickies under the rear tail lights, picked up a laycock overdrive tranny, drive shaft, etc. As I worked on the electrical it was time to put the engine back in and i decided to do a "once over" with seals and gaskets, maybe a bit of head work, take a peek inside the oil pan, etc.
When I dropped the pan I found and oil ring laying in the bottom which amazed me because when I ran it a few years ago there was no smoke. Not sure how that's possible but onward...it was a bitter sweat day for me, I had gathered all of these parts and I'm ready to drop everything in and now- well it all came to a screeching halt.

The sweet part is- it is obviously an omen to go V-8. :) This will be my documentation through that journey. The plan is to go 5.0 with a T-5 and use a Mansell kit to make it happen. I'm not a mechanic or a tech or whatever the politically correct word for a professional wrench is these days, but I can hold my own in my 32 X 48 pole barn with 220v, a ventilated paint both and a decent set of power tools, mig, plasma cutter, torches, etc.

I began my journey over Thanksgiving weekend, 2012, by driving to Buffalo NY to pick up my ebay purchase of a 1995 Ford 5.0 mustang gt motor and wc- t-5 tranny. The rest of the documentation should probably go to another forum and I will figure that piece today. My intention is two fold- as I roll through this process, first to have all of the guys that have already gone through this process to hopefully guide me and, secondly, to try to document a non professional attempting to do the swap and a cost analysis of a "poor mans" guide to the swap.

I'm really not poor, am a middle class assistant principal with a decent income but like many others, I have children to put through school and family expences which keep me from going full blown, head over heels on this. I have decided to go with the Mansell conversion and although it's a bit pricey I think it could be interesting to document the non-professional installing this "kit".

Thank you for allowing me to become part of your community, I am honored.
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.