The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 31

SvennGali
Jeff Graf

(5 posts)

09/23/2014 12:54PM

Main British Car:

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: SvennGali
Date: October 01, 2014 01:50PM

Hello, I'm new here. Just picked up a project '68 Triumph Spitfire. 302, 4 speed, 9 in rear end. Needs body work, but not rotted/rusted out. Won't be done anytime soon, but will be fun to work on.
car t.jpg

SvennGali
Jeff Graf

(5 posts)

09/23/2014 12:54PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: SvennGali
Date: October 16, 2014 02:45PM

Hello, I thought I had already introduced myself, but I don't see my post...so here it is again. Heres pics of my '68 Spitfire project. Has 302, 4 speed and 9 in. rear with 4 link. Runs well, not rusted out, but does need body work as you can see.
car t.jpg
car front.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 19, 2014 07:17PM

Welcome Svenn, looks to have a lot of possibilities. What are your plans for it? If you haven't already, check out Phil McConnell's spitfire in the gallery; may give you some ideas.

oskold
Oscar Skold

(1 posts)

10/20/2014 09:33AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: oskold
Date: October 20, 2014 10:00AM

Hello all,
I am a happy owner of a 1980 MGB with a Buick 215 and BW T50 transmission. Currently undergoing chrome bumper conversion. I imported the car to Canada from the US and have a feeing that this older v8 conversion may have belonged to a Mr. Williamson in the past. Therefore, I am interested in obtaining a copy of a back-issue article (which is not yet available on this site). Maybe someone can help me?

""MG V-8 Newsletter" - Volume II, Issue 2 August 1994, Editor: Kurt Schley, (26 pages)
How it Was Done #4 (Ken Williamson, Bellefonte PA, 80 MGB, Buick 215, T-50)"

IMG_1799.JPG

Scofflaw Vicky
Todd Grebin
Southwest Virginia
(7 posts)

10/20/2014 09:28AM

Main British Car:
1995 Disco and 1930 Model A 3.9 Rover and 215 Buick respectively

Posted by: Scofflaw Vicky
Date: October 20, 2014 11:57AM

Hello from Todd in Floyd Virginia.

I am building a Model A hotrod with a mix of Buick 215 parts (block) and 1995 Land Rover Disco 3.9 donor parts.

Love the idea of this little V8, just having a time finding all the stuff to put it together, and making it more complicated by tring to improve on things just a bit.

Look forward to talking with people here, and helping the group if I can, many thanks for starting this group.

I came upon this site many times in my searches for Buick/Rover V8 intel, only makes sense to become a member as there is so much more info I still need.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 20, 2014 12:27PM

Welcome to BritishV8, Oscar!

We have a program where you can sponsor the digitization of old articles, so everyone will be able to find and enjoy them. Basically, you just make a $20 contribution to the site's operating fund, and specify which article you'd like uploaded. The Ken Williamson article is a good one, although it doesn't contain any photos. BritishV8 was just a photocopied black-and-white newsletter in those days. Hardly any articles featured photos. If you'd like to supply photos of the car, that would be great too! Information about submitting photos may be found here. (Scroll down for twenty helpful tips.)

Ken Williamson is a great guy! I've talked to him at Summit Point and at Watkins Glen, where he races this very cool MG:
Ken Williamson's 1968 MGC GTS "Sebring" Racecar

http://www.britishracecar.com/KenWilliamson-MG-MGC-GTS/KenWilliamson-MG-MGC-GTS-AA.jpg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 20, 2014 12:38PM

Welcome Todd! I'll be very interested to see pics of your project as it progresses.

When you're hunting for parts, don't hesitate to take advantage of our Classified section. Place "wanted" ads...

My own aluminum V8 project started when I lived in Blacksburg. Is Route 8 between Stuart and Floyd still the roller coaster ride it used to be? I used to drive that road like a moonshiner being chased by a revenue man.

parrisw
William Parris

(16 posts)

11/18/2014 10:15AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: parrisw
Date: November 18, 2014 11:16AM

Hi new member here. 1981 TR8 owner. Going through some mods and new injection this winter.

PMB
Patrick Burger

(3 posts)

11/23/2014 08:45PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Chevy 350

Posted by: PMB
Date: November 23, 2014 09:27PM

Hey all,
My name is Patrick and live in St. Petersburg Florida, about 6 months ago I picked you a 1979 MGB, I recently installed a Chevy 350 in the B, the only issue I've encountered is the motor sits up to high, so any feedback or suggestions would be a great help on how to get the motor lower. By the way this site is great. Thanks
motor2.JPG
photo - Copy (17).JPG
car5.JPG

PMB
Patrick Burger

(3 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Chevy 350

Date: November 23, 2014 09:39PM

Hello
Patrick again, don't know why the pics are upside down, they are right side up on my end

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 23, 2014 11:40PM

You could notch the crossmember and move the steering rack down a bit perhaps.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 24, 2014 12:08AM

There are several SBC's that fit under the stock hood without a scoop in the gallery section. You might get some ideas there.

PMB
Patrick Burger

(3 posts)

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Chevy 350

Date: November 25, 2014 06:21PM

Thanks for the advise, The cross member is not the issue, I have a good 4'' till the cross member would hit the oil pan, I think the issue is the motor mounts I made are sitting on the stock MGB mounting plates that are welded to the chassis, its not allowing me to drop the motor lower. I made another set of motor mounts that are smaller and should fit between frame rails, we will see. I have looked at just about every SBC set up on this site and others but can't seem to find any good pictures of the motor mounts, if anyone has a SBC set up and has good pics of their motor mount set up, please send them my way.
Thanks
Patrick

N7614Y
Terry Looft
Wilmington, Ohio
(9 posts)

02/15/2014 12:39PM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB GT V8 GD2D1 2809 G Stock

authors avatar
Posted by: N7614Y
Date: January 18, 2015 10:44AM

Hello, I'm a new V8 owner with car #2809, a 1976 GT. I had the car shipped for Scotland and received it only two months ago. The last owner cared for the V8 for 18 years. The body was restored about 2 years ago and looks very nice. The engine bay is another story as the owner did not want to have the out of service long enough to detail the engine bay with the engine out. The salt air took a toll on the un-protected parts of the engine. I'm about to do this now. No other work is needed, the car runs and drives great. I should say I'm not new to MGs and have been a collector with my wife for 40 years. We own every post war model except a twin cam. (Still looking but missed our chance for an affordable car years ago!)
I would like to be pointed in the right direction for things like paint codes for air cleaner assemblies and engine and engine accessories. Can someone here in the know help me out with these details? I do some powder coating also but need a color code to start with. Not going for best of show by any means but I want my V8 to look as good under the bonnet as the rest of the car.
We are looking forward to meeting up with other V8 owners at the shows this summer.
Terry Looft
Wilmington, Ohio

20141217_115647.jpg
20141217_115616.jpg

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 12:00PM by N7614Y.

Taylor.Reed
TAYLOR REED
Louisville ky
(1 posts)

01/23/2015 12:18PM

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire 1961 Buick 215

Posted by: Taylor.Reed
Date: January 28, 2015 11:06PM

Hello all. Been stalking here for a while to stay motivated. Working on putting a Buick 215 in a 76 spitfire. Been slow going, but started new job last year with more money and shorter hours (I know right?) So no excuse, time for serious headway. Planning on registering for this summer's meet and driving the car there (although I'll be lucky to get mechanically to that point, not to mention cosmetic). So there it is: a goal with a deadline.... wish me luck.
IMG_20150128_230454.jpg

Hhelmberger
Helmut Helmberger
Munich
(2 posts)

01/10/2012 06:07AM

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Stag Triumph 2997 cc; 145 bhp

Introduction of a STAG Owner from Bavaria
Posted by: Hhelmberger
Date: January 30, 2015 05:29AM

Hi Guys, I am Helmut from Munich, Bavaria.

Since 2011, I am an owner of an modified Triumph Stag, which is optimised for quick road use and mountain roads.
It has been treated to:

- 4-branch stainless steel manifold
- an additional oil pressure gauge and
- an additional oil cooler,
- an Aluminium race cooler,
- vented and drilled Wilwood 4-pot caliper front brakes,
- Ltd - slip diff from a BMW 3-series and a 3.64 /1 gear ratio
- T. Hart's lower & progressive springs
- new Koni shock absorbers all around.

The engine has been overhauled 2, but is still very much standard apart from oversize pistons.

But in no way is she a competition Car. It is still very much a cruiser. Having been to the Oldtimer Grand Prix at the famous Nürburgring (approx. 500 miles from my home) for the first time and participated in the Solitude Revival 2011 amongst British spectator cars.
I became more and more interested in Historic Racing.
And as the family is not so keen on accompanying me on leisurely trips around the hillside, I started looking for a more suitable Car to quench my thirst.
Now I am looking for an MGB GT V8 with an upgraded 4.0 or 4.6 L engine and some further improvements to make it an ideal track day Car.

But still need some convincing to do to get permission for another old Car.

Best regards to all

Helmut

Morning ride w. Stag + horse small.jpg

HH Boscreen 006 II.jpg

STAG Motorraum 2011.jpg

P1020090 Stg a A-see.jpg

nelson
David Canning
Bedfordshire, UK
(3 posts)

03/09/2015 11:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 4.6L Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: nelson
Date: March 10, 2015 03:59PM

Hello from David in North Bedfordshire, England. What an excellent website this is!

Below is my 1966 MGB Roadster complete with a 4.6 litre Rover V8. I've owned it for just over 20 years now and whilst I've done the occasional track day it's been mostly used for holidays around the UK and Europe and general cruising on sunny days. Last summer I had a faultless 900 mile trip to the Le Mans Classic and will be doing the same again this year for the Le Mans 24 hour.

I'll fill in the form with all the details when I get a chance but briefly the spec is:

4.6L Rover V8 with Real Steel stage 2 heads
Holley 390 carb, Offenhauser manifold, K&N air filter with XStream air filter lid
Mallory dual point distributor
Custom aluminium radiator
Custom RV8 style (but bigger diameter) exhaust manifolds
Twin exhaust system with one silencer on each pipe
LT77 gearbox
3.07 MGB V8 rear axle
Quaife LSD
Uprated lever arms front and rear
MGB V8 brakes and discs at front, standard MGB at rear.

Nelson-600K.jpg

Forduletuar
Jim Carney

(1 posts)

03/13/2015 09:10AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Forduletuar
Date: March 13, 2015 10:28AM

Hello y'all,
My project isn't a small fast car, but there's a British car & an American V8 involved, also there will be LOTS of metalwork necessary. I've been poking around in the project journals & this place looks like there are plenty of open minded & inventive folks involved. I hope to learn from you & hopefully have something valuable to contribute as I expand my own skills.
I learned about britishV8.org from a gentleman who has attended our British car show (Brits in the Ozarks), who has built an awesome looking custom bodied V6 MGB & who has been generous with his time.
I got my first(used) MGB in 1971 or so & have owned several small British cars & other 2 seaters since. I've done much mechanical work on these cars & a little body repair but have MUCH to learn about metal work & honestly I'm only a decent mechanic. My British cars have kept their original drive trains with small mods (GM alternator, gear reduction starter, electronic ignition etc). Regarding small & fast, I do currently have a supercharged '95 Miata...
The current project began life as an '85 Jaguar XJ6 & a '49 Ford. I've installed a GM Crate 350 & 2004R in the Jag, rebuilt the suspension, steering & brakes, and stripped off the body. The idea is to install the '49 Ford body, nose, deck, shave, chop & channel in the process, thus "forduletuar". So far, only gravity are holding the body & chassis together. Still much fitting to do before I get out the welder, also there isn't a speck of wiring in it, so there's that to do too.
Anyway, I'll be lurking around here & trying to learn from you for the foreseeable future. I'll ask some questions I'm sure & contribute when I have something valuable to offer.
Cheers,
Jim
00092 Reduced.jpg
00210 reduced.JPG
00230 reduced.JPG

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: March 13, 2015 01:55PM

UNIQUE!, this is a new twist on an old concept. The 49 Ford should look awsome on the Jag chasis. Please keep us updated.

Nexxussian
Erik Johnson
Alaska
(62 posts)

04/20/2015 10:32PM

Main British Car:
1974, MGB, Citroen Color Rover V8

Posted by: Nexxussian
Date: April 20, 2015 11:15PM

Hello, my name is Erik, I recently purchased a MGB project.

It has some rust (mostly wheel arches, floor pans appear sound with carpets removed and poking them with a screwdriver) but is complete (sold before PO started the "restoration" ).

I could have bought one that was supposedly "paint ready" for $$$ but this one had the magic word in the craigslist add "divorce."

Unfortunate for the couple, but $650 later + $50 for a Leyland Rover shop manual for the car (with clear title) and I loaded it on the trailer. :)

I wasn't looking for a MG specifically, I have a 3.5 Rover I've been looking to transplant.

At least I think it's a 3.5, it's been a while since I had it out of its' wrapper ( could be a 3.9 I preserved and wrapped it up when it's previous home in a project vehicle changed course with a different engine).

I'm looking to do more of a repair than a full restoration.

My current plan is to repair the rust, clean and repair the rover as necessary, add a T5 and go from there.

I got the Rover with the entire injection system, it appears to be a flapper style MAF.

I'm planning to operate the injection with Mega Squirt (spark as well), I have a Walbro 255 in tank pump kit (from another project).

I have a few 8" ford rear axle assemblies, (from other projects) I may change to one of those later, but currently plan to run the stock diff.

I also have an 8" Toyota (from another project, notice a pattern ;) ?) that may be a candidate.

I have been reading the forum here (sections, V8, MGB, Engines & Trans specifically). and have found a wealth of knowledge. :)

For general information, I have a Model A Ford with a 331 SBF, '92 Mustang T5 and an aluminum flywheel.

I like the way the aluminum flywheel works in the Ford, I am interested in using one in the MGB, my preferred clutch is the Hays 95-201, but it is 10.4" and the cover is somewhat bulky.

All the threads I have found so far that mention a size for the clutch people are using specify a 9" or 9.5" clutch.

Is there room in the Buick 215 bell housing to use such a large clutch? (I will be posting this in the engine / trans section)

I know this light a car doesn't need that much holding power, nor does my model A, but it engages smoothly, holds firmly, doesn't chatter and has enough pedal travel through the hydraulic clutch (7/8" master, 3/4" slave IIRC) that you can leave a stop without looking spastic. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 11:19PM by Nexxussian.
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.