The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 31

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 06, 2009 03:45PM

Welcome to the forum Werner, you'll find familiar faces here. Have you been running a zinc additive in your oil?

Jim

WernerVC
Werner Van Clapdurp
Lynchburg, Va
(108 posts)

09/06/2009 12:56PM

Main British Car:
MGB 1977 Rover 3.5

Posted by: WernerVC
Date: September 08, 2009 04:54PM

Hi Jim,
No, no zonc additives. Car is been idle for 4 years. Got retired and found finally time to work on the BV8. In process of converting to Megasquirt EFI. For the moment in the UK for part tme job. Visited RPI.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 08, 2009 06:12PM

You might want to look into that. They've been cutting back on the zinc for about the last decade and the flat tappet cams can't survive without it.

Jim

swappyd
Dave Swap

(1 posts)

05/13/2009 03:02AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: swappyd
Date: September 09, 2009 07:53AM

Hi! My name is Dave.
I live just outside Coventry in the UK.

I've got projcet approval for stage 1! Which is to buy an MGB from the "Boss"or "the trouble and strife" better know my good lady especially in her company!
Stage 2 the V8 approval is currently ongoing

I've played with a fair number of Rover v8's in the past in Land Rovers.
I used to work in the foundry where the rover v8's where cast so I know the inner most working well!
I used to work in the auto industry before the economy forced me to make a change.

I have seen that forum and rest of the site is a very good source of ideas and ideas.

Hope I can give at least some help to others.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: September 11, 2009 10:43PM

Hello, my name is Jacques and I live in Alexandria, VA. I've got introduced to this V8 business two years ago by Jim Stuart. Jim gave me a ride in his car and I was hooked. I have a '77 MGB roadster which has been a working progress since 2006.

Jim Stuart it turns out lived about 50 miles from my house, however, he worked on his car in a rented garage/club space only about 6-7 miles from my house. Originaly, I was going to go the conventional route of a 4.0L Rover motor, but, Jim suggested that I go on line (Britishv8.org) to take a look at some of the different conversion including the Ford 302.

After careful considaration and advice, I decided to go with the Ford set up. I sat back and listen to all of the problems associated with such a project and decided to try in following these two principles "low un-sprung weight" and "light weight rotating mass" The Japanese have built some real successful cars following these principles.

Well, it's not easy to operate when you have a champagne taste with a beer wallet and having said that my first killer purchase was Ted Lathrop's (Fast Cars) front end. People that had it seemed to talk highly of it.

Second, I went with a 8 inch Ford rear end with light disc brake, 3:42 gears, Currie aluminum center, True-Trac posi, Doug Jackson composite suspension with tramp bars, however, I installed a streetrod pinion mounted emergency brake with their optional "Watts linkage". At the time, no one offered a three links.

I use a Pyar plastic engine to set up the drivetrain. The engine is a Ford (E.F.I.) 5.0 Liter with a GT-40 modified intake, AFR-165 heads with 1.72 Scorpion roller rockers and a E-303 roller cam. The headers were fabricated by Ted Lathrop and I installed some spring loaded flanges. The engine bay has a few unique and thecnical touches that people seem to appreciate (?) I'll post some pics later.

The transmission is a new Summit Racing T-5 with an aluminnum flywheel. Although I purchased a new Hydraulic McCloud throw-out bearing, I changed my mind and went with a side mounted slaved cylinder kit available through a vintage Mustang parts supplier, the bearing is for sale.

This car is refered to as a MGB-FV8 and not RV8 (F for Ford) my licence plate will be displayed as such. I struggled to decide between keeping the rubber bumper and the chrome conversion, I sort of liked the safety of the rubber, but, I wanted to stay within the light weight principle so I went with the chrome bumpers. I'll try to bring some soft changes.

I also spent a lot of time deciding on the wheels and while searching on Google about light weight wheels I came across an interesting article on Mazda commissioning BBS wheels on certain models. It turns out that the MGB-RV8 that went back in production from 1991 to 1993 had indentical wheels. Mazda put these wheels (9-1/2 pounds) only on their RX-7 convertible, it has the same bolt pattern as the Ford, 5 X 4-1/2.

I also purchased a genuine RV8 steering wheel to complement a retro style. I have a lot of work to finish all the small stuff, as they say, the finishing touches take 90% of the time to execute. I have to thank Jim Stuart for keeping me motivated, however, the cash needed still can slow things down.

Some of you I have already phoned for advice and I do appreciate your help, thanks. By the way, Jim's birthday is tomorrow (September, 12th) "Happy Birthday" Jim.

SirLemond
Bryan Joyce

(1 posts)

10/14/2009 01:16PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: SirLemond
Date: October 14, 2009 03:46PM

Hello fellow BGers!

I live in Newberg, Oregon, just 25 miles SW of Portland.

I am down to just 4 MGB's at the moment. ;) a '67 GT, 2 - 72 roadsters, and a 79 roadster.
All of which have the original 4 cyclinder engines.
I have a 215 engine that I would like to put in one of the cars.
Any ideas how to chose which car? is one better to V8 then the others?

Also... I really need to downsize, and at this point plan on keeping only 1 roadster and the GT.
So make me an offer on the others if you are interested.

Great web site!
Thanks!
Bryan Joyce
bljoyce@chehalem.com

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: October 14, 2009 05:37PM

Welcome, Bryan.

The engine bay of the 1979 MGB is already set up to accept the BOPR V8. Your other MGs will involve a bit more metal work to make the block fit.

Sell the two 1972 tourers to finance the V8 conversionof the 1979 tourer.

TheArkitekt
Jason Thompson

(4 posts)

10/19/2009 09:21AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TheArkitekt
Date: October 19, 2009 09:37AM

Hello all!

Thought I would introduce myself, I'm a 25 year old pilot currently living in Bowling Green, Ohio (for those of you that haven't heard of this exotic location, its the 4th left past the heard of cows!) I have been an enthusist for many years, both in the auto racing and show world. I started my automotive career working for a car museum during high school and much of my college years. There I was introduced to auto racing. The owner had several cars, a TR3, Lotus XI, Devin TR3, and Formula Ford to name a few.

From there I began to race on my own, starting with a Honda CRX Si. I've owned several cars since then (turbo miata, nissan 240sx) and done quite a few laps around the track. Currently I spend most of my time racing in NASA events, but try to get to as many club events and local autox as possible.

I recently purchased a MG B project car, that I hope to do a v8 swap. I've been trolling the forum for a little bit and thought I would sign up and introduce myself now that I have a MG in the garage.

On to the photos...

This is my Nissan 240sx, set it up for drift/road race
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae338/DrifterPenguin/s13-01.jpg

Here is the Miata
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae338/DrifterPenguin/Roadster/DSC_7756.jpg

And here is the new project
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae338/DrifterPenguin/teh%20MGB/DSC_7946.jpg

BBall
Brian Ball

(1 posts)

05/20/2008 02:07PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BBall
Date: November 12, 2009 10:39AM

Hello Fellow V8 Enthusiast's!

My name is Brian and I've been a V8-aholic for 9 years now. I was first introduced to the hobby by my friend John. He built my car, a 1980 MGB 215, on a whim to see what it was all about and discovered that it was a lot of fun. One day I happened to be over John's house and I had asked about the car and he said...Want to drive it? I of course said SURE! I was hooked. My car was originally built in 1999 and never truly detailed because it was so much fun to drive! In the winter of 2006 I tore the car apart and had the motor rebuilt. While the motor was out I detailed the engine bay and rebuilt the entire cross member and all of it's components. It's finally finished with only some minor tweaks to complete before next season. I've attached a couple of pictures for reference.

I'm glad to be apart of the hobby and looking forward to future posts. I should have introduced my self sooner!
1980 MGB 1.jpg
1980 MGB 2.jpg

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Greetings from Alberta, Canada
Posted by: mindseye
Date: November 18, 2009 11:49AM

Hello all.....finally got the MGB I always wanted....1980 with the rover V8 (1968) in her...8" ford narrowed diff,T-5 tranny out of an S-10, silvolite pistons, .30 over, edelbrock 4-barrel and intake. She moves!....fellow I got it from has had it for 20 years, body/interior/mechanical mint....going to need a few things in future though....has points, will likely switch to electronic....tach is for the original 4 banger/switch that out and speedo is off by 10 kph. Hope this site helps me figure it out...I have been fixing american hot rods for some time but this is mt first brit car though I did fix alot of old brit bikes when younger...I already have some Lucas issues with this one (sigh!)....will post pics when I get some.

Krusty
Tom Burke
Maryland
(2 posts)

12/03/2009 10:18PM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 V8

Posted by: Krusty
Date: December 04, 2009 08:54AM

Hello folks,

I am starting the long process of restoring a 1980 TR8 that I've had for several years. I have enjoyed this website for many years. I like the layout and I really admire the engineering that goes into shoehorning big engines into little British cars. Anyhow, the TR8 is box-stock (so far), but I'm dropping the drivetrain first of all to deal with a variety of wear issues, then it's bodywork and paint. I know I'll learn a lot here and, hopefully, contribute a little.

Cheers,

Krusty

cortina_gt
John Butruce
San Jose, CA
(6 posts)

12/24/2007 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 302, 1965 Cortina GT, 1964 Country Squire

Posted by: cortina_gt
Date: December 07, 2009 10:45PM

Hi, my name is John from San Jose, CA. My car is a 72 TR6 with a 302. It has been in the photo gallery for some time now, but this is my first post. I've owned this car since 1979 (wow it's been that long). One of my other projects will be putting a Ford Zetec and 5 speed into my daily driver MK1 Cortina GT.
PC240056.JPG
65GT002.jpg
ITBZetec 013.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 08, 2009 06:54PM

Nice cars Bruce. And great weather most of the year there to enjoy them too!

MM1
Marshall Herrick
Washington
(1 posts)

12/24/2009 04:02PM

Main British Car:
1965 Sunbeam Alpine Currently the original 1592cc 4cylinder

authors avatar
Posted by: MM1
Date: December 24, 2009 04:18PM

Hi, my name is Marshall and I'm from Auburn Washington, I'm 15 and I just bought my first car, a 1965 Sunbeam Alpine that I plan on slowly restoring/rebuilding. Eventually it'll get a built 302 in it along with a 5 speed from a mustang and a narrowed 9" in the rear. But it runs for now and I'll probably drive it the way it is until I can get a real job and really start pouring money and time into it (I paid for the car doing yard jobs all summer).

Here are a few pictures of the car
P1000817.jpg
P1000859.jpg
P1000862.jpg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 24, 2009 04:34PM

Welcome Marshall. Looks like a pretty nice car you got, I know you will enjoy it a lot. Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on your project plans as well.

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: January 11, 2010 10:31PM

I'd like to say hi to everyone out there. My Spitfire (http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/PhilMcConnell.htm) has been on the website for at least 7 years and I want to say thanks for keeping it there. I have been driving and updating the car since June of 1996.This photo is of my daughter and I at a solo event in Augustof ,08. I will be sending updated photos and info to to be posted later. I would really like to take part in this years annual meeting. Does anyone know when and where it will be? I thank you in advance for any info.
solo.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 11, 2010 11:45PM

Hi Phil, nice looking car -- looks like a blast! The meet this year is in Indy in July -- the week after 4th of July. More info here... [forum.britishv8.org]

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 11:58PM by rficalora.

Ed209
Edward Little

(1 posts)

01/13/2010 06:55PM

Main British Car:

Just a hi all!
Posted by: Ed209
Date: January 13, 2010 07:14PM

Based in England in Brighton looking at the cool website love Rover V8s got 3 two 3.5 & one 4.0L love them sounds nice and looks good.
I drive a Toyota Surf 2nd Gen and then added a V8 in it, boy it sounds nice would like a superchager with a chrome inlet over the bonit.

eyeosteverino
Steve Kimball
Southwest NM
(30 posts)

03/02/2008 10:58AM

Main British Car:
67 Sunbeam, 2.8 L V6 Ford,

Posted by: eyeosteverino
Date: February 06, 2010 09:57PM

Been here a while, just now introducing myself... It all started 30 years ago with a Sunbeam Tiger. Of course, I immediately regretted selling it and vowed never to sell another car. The two I'm posting today represent the latest finished projects. The Red/White '64 MGB is a pretty accurate restoration (besides the paint scheme). Pic is posted under the paint/trim section, two/tone thread.

I bought a second '64 B just to get the overdrive for the first restoration, and wanted to build a V8-B at the same time. I knew it would be more fun. But after consideration, I decided cutting all that sheet metal was unnecessary since I had a nice Chevy V6 sitting in the barn. Its got a T50 transmission and I made all mounts and the headers myself. I wish I knew about Bill Guzman a bit earlier. B #3, a 1977 will end up with a V8 4.6L - that's my next project and the one I'll post pictures of as I go along.

The pics below are the #2 MGB, V6 - I call it my "mouse" rod.
MGB Mouse Rod 2010 010-1.jpg
MGB Mouse Rod 2010 016-1.jpg
MGB Mouse Rod 2010 006-1.jpg
MGB Mouse Rod 2010 004-1.jpg

73GT
Anthony Pregent
Northern Virginia
(7 posts)

03/27/2010 11:47AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB GT OE

Posted by: 73GT
Date: March 27, 2010 02:40PM

Hello All!
My name is Tony and I just recently got my 1973 MGB GT. I need to replace the sills and the left rear quarter. I can likely get away with a patch for the right dog leg. The eventual objectives include a rover or buick v8, sebring flares, corbeau seats with four point belts, and a wide variety of convenience items. It should be a fun resto mod/street rod. I'm hoping to pull off a lot of updating whiile retaining a vintage feel. Eventually I may autocross the car but it will likely never be track raced outside of a track day or two.
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.