The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 31

triumphtr2
tim body
St thomas ont Canada
(87 posts)

08/18/2010 10:21PM

Main British Car:
1954 TR2 serial # TS 110 L triumph 2 litre

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: triumphtr2
Date: September 19, 2010 10:22PM

Hello Curtis. I introduced myself the other day and had a couple of question to ask , which I did. Where do Igo to find out if anyone responded. Ca you send me an Email and let me know? Singned Lost.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: September 20, 2010 09:03AM

You might want to try reposting your questions over in the Triumph Forum. I think a lot of people probably consider a TR3 "too valuable" to do a conversion on, but you can see most converted cars on here have added value.

restorem
Bob Knapik

(9 posts)

09/23/2010 06:20PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: restorem
Date: September 23, 2010 07:47PM

Hi I'm Bob in Sacramento Ca.
I am restoring a 73 Triumph Stag for a familey friend. It has been in a shipping container for ? years. No rust but no engine, plenty of dirt and Wasp nest. I have hobby level experience in restoring. 70s Chevys, Mustangs, 65 Porsche 912 Piper J3 Cub. I am looking for some direction in selectng a motor. Maybe a Ford 302? So far I am impressed with the web site. Many thanks.
_DSC0070.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: September 24, 2010 11:25AM

A number of people have put the Rover motor in those. They seem right pleased with the results from what I hear.

JB

qwaii
tom lilley
Haida Gwaii
(22 posts)

09/24/2010 11:22PM

Main British Car:
1970 GT6 5.3l jaguar V12

Posted by: qwaii
Date: September 24, 2010 11:49PM

hi.i came across a 70 gt6 that had been rusting away in an impound yard,and was about to be scrapped.

just couldn't let that happen,so i adopted it.after some dreams of restoring it,i realised that it would not be feasible....but hotrodding it would be.

i was also given a jag v12 from a good old guy that was dying of cancer.when i asked him what he wanted for it,he just said to do something interesting with it.

hopefully,combining the two will be interesting enough.

and for the moderators-i started out by misspelling my username....it should be 'gwaii',not 'qwaii'....if there is something that could be done to fix this,it would be much appreciated.tks.

Bratfink
James Bratby
Indianapolis
(12 posts)

09/29/2010 04:05PM

Main British Car:
66 MkIV Singer Vogue Estate 1725 (with Alpine S5 twin carb)

Posted by: Bratfink
Date: September 29, 2010 04:28PM

Hi all,

My name is James and I have a MkIV Vogue Estate I brought with me to the US from UK. Have plans to make it drive more modern, as soon as funds allow!

I will be watching all modifications to Rootes 'Super' series cars with interest since there isn't alot of room in there.

Healey Z
k uel

(19 posts)

09/30/2010 11:03PM

Main British Car:

first post intro
Posted by: Healey Z
Date: September 30, 2010 11:09PM

Long time car guy. All fords, mostly off things; cobra replica, 289 4 speed falcon, mustangs, GT350 clone.

I am pretty serious about buying a 3000 with 260Z running gear. In good time, it will surely go 289/302/5.0

Here to learn as much as I can before I buy this car.

thanks.

rickbseattle
Rick Burke
Seattle, WA
(4 posts)

10/01/2010 11:31PM

Main British Car:
1957 MGA 350 SBC

authors avatar
Intro message...
Posted by: rickbseattle
Date: October 02, 2010 02:51AM

I've been poring over your forums for the past 10 months, since I acquired my own little love project. I just posted a bit about the car and the progress-to date in the Project Journals section. 1957 MGA Roadster with SBC 350 V*, Muncie 4-speed, and many needs. Looking forward to reading and writing more inthe upcoming months and years.

-Rick

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 02, 2010 10:42AM

The car looks pretty good aside from the frame, but that's fixable. You might want to consider a lighter engine, long as it's apart. If it's really a 327 as the lettering on the body seems to indicate that could be worth enough to swap for an LS.

JB

rickbseattle
Rick Burke
Seattle, WA
(4 posts)

10/01/2010 11:31PM

Main British Car:
1957 MGA 350 SBC

authors avatar
Posted by: rickbseattle
Date: October 02, 2010 08:03PM

Hi Jim. There's some decent-sized bondo scabs, but minimal rust other than the rocker panels. The lettering on the side (now gone - thank you scotch-brite) was done by a previous owner, and it had at least one engine transplant under his watch. He told me that it was currently fitted with a 350 crate motor, but I'll get the numbers off the engine in the next week or two and confirm. Fitting a LS would be great, but for now I need to ration limited resources (time & money) and will probably reuse the existing one.

-Rick

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Posted by: jim0899
Date: October 09, 2010 04:54PM

Hi, my name is Jim Willenbrink and I live in Florence, KY, which is about 15 miles south of downtown Cincinnati. I purchased a 1978 MGB in 2003 from the previous owner (Craig Jensen). He completed the major conversion (he installed a Chevy 327 engine with 3 speed saginaw) in 1996 and logged about 20k miles driving. I have a number of upgrades for the car scheduled for this winter. I purchased a narrowed S-10 rear end with posi, and Chev drum brakes. I am in the process of ordering a new aluminum radiator, and I am planning some sort of brake upgrade (not sure how far I am going with the brakes),
MGB top down pictures 013.jpg
MGB top down pictures 016.jpg
MGB top down pictures 015.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 08:33PM by jim0899.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 10, 2010 10:25AM

Hi James,

I recognize your MG & the name of its previous owner. Craig attended the 2nd annual V8 Meet that was hosted in Annapolis, MD in 1998. First small block Chevy MGB I had ever seen. Unfortunately, it overheated in the Beltway traffic on the way to Summit Park Raceway. I have wondered what became of Craig & his B cause we never saw him again.

I hope you noticed that you & Jim Blackwood are neighbors.

LMVG
Louis von Guggenberg

(1 posts)

10/14/2010 07:47AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: LMVG
Date: October 14, 2010 08:08AM

Hi there, my name is Louis and i purchased my first British car in 1979 a brand new Triumph Spitfire russet brow with factory hard top and electric overdrive. The Dam Masters article on the TR6 V8 w/302 Ford Windsor totally caught my attention, this is the finest article on automobile modifications that i have ever read! Two Thumbs Way Up!!!! I wasn't even aware that you could fit a reliable V8 engine in a TR6! The mathematical explanations make total sense and i have since then spoken to Van over the phone about the project as it looks likes he took it over. It looks like it's too rich for my blood at present (my budget is $20000. at most for now) but i am really interested in buying one when the opportunity. I also love the Sunbeam "Tiger" Alpine and was wondering if the "289" conversion is "bolt on" or requires firewall modifications etc... Van's car is a solid beast and i would love to drive it to see just how much a TR6 can be improved....frankly it's a concept car with a TR6 shell. I just completed a Vespa 90SS restoration so i am looking for another toy.

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Date: October 15, 2010 07:36PM

(quote)
Hi James,

"I recognize your MG & the name of its previous owner. Craig attended the 2nd annual V8 Meet that was hosted in Annapolis, MD in 1998. First small block Chevy MGB I had ever seen. Unfortunately, it overheated in the Beltway traffic on the way to Summit Park Raceway. I have wondered what became of Craig & his B cause we never saw him again.

I hope you noticed that you & Jim Blackwood are neighbors."

Thanks Carl,

I did subscribe to the old British V8 Newsletter, just took a while to make the digital transition. I made one simple change to eliminate the overheating problem when sitting in traffic (on hot summer days). I added a flex-a-lite fan blade to the front pulley, and it has worked great for the last 7 years. Now I'm in the process of ordering a custom built radiator to replace the original (14year old) radiator.
I'm looking forward to meeting Jim Blackwood, the street I live on (Heritage Dr.) is very close to Gunpowder Creek.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:42PM by jim0899.

kenvs1
Ken Vallet-Sandre
Farmington, MN
(3 posts)

10/23/2010 04:18PM

Main British Car:
71 B-GT Stock 1.8

Posted by: kenvs1
Date: October 23, 2010 09:31PM

Hello Guys. I've owned my 71 B-GT for about 6 years now. I had it almost completely restored 2 years ago with the exception of the interior. The old time vs money equation raised its ugly head. If I have the time I don't have the money. So I had the money and someone else had the time. My wife still hasn't forgiven me. 18k later (she says it's 20 [Ihave the receipts]) and I'm beginning to plan the installation of a V8 and maybe a divorce in the process.;) The Olds 215 cid Jetfire looks like a good fit producing 155 hp and 215 hp with the turbo. I've also heard that the Cadillac 273 has the same footprint and bellhousing pattern and should be considered. I haven't looked deeply enough into that option yet. At least the Cad engine is available. After months of looking I've not been able to locate a 215 that isn't just suitable for a core. It's been a long while since I've worked on an engine or done much with automobile mechanics, but the spirit is willing. I'm a field service technician for a packaging machine distributor and am on the road 250 to 260 nights per year. As I said the spirit is willing. I hope to find some friendly advice and shoulders to snivel on every once in a while on a site devoted to those who've already accomplished what I aspire to. I love the B-GT and the smell of the interior on a warm summer's day brings back many great memories. There is just nothing that smells / sounds as good or as right as the interior of an LBC with the exhaust at full song. Thank goodness for a little corner of pure delight.

I'll think of a good signature later.
General Photos 023.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6468 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 24, 2010 10:54AM

Beautiful car Ken.
Have you driven a V8 conversion yet? If not you really owe it to yourself to do so. Any one of them will amaze you, and even an extremely mild 215 is an incredible step up.

You have many options in a very broad range that encompasses nearly anything you could want in an engine. Some want simplicity. At that end something like a 3.5 Rover engine is a good choice or even in some cases a V6, although you lose that V8 sound. From there you can go from mild to wild or as sophisticated as you like and still stay within the Buick/Rover family of engines. Or you can go outside that family with the small block Ford, Chevy, LS series, and others. Naturally the farther afield the more fabrication is needed but the more basic swaps are pretty much a bolt-in proposition. Since your body restoration is complete, pay particular attention to the BOPR (215 and Rover) and SBF swaps.

Go to the Web Forum tab, MG sports cars, scroll down and read some of the articles on how these cars were converted to get a better idea on how to proceed, then check out some of the threads on the MG forum and the Projects forum. For an idea of how far the limits can be pushed, read some threads like the MG-Roadmaster, my 340 upgrade, Calvin Grannis' TR6 conversion on the Triumph forum and others. By the time you're done with that you'll have a real good idea of the direction you want to take.

Incidentally, I think you will find that with the '71 body shell most builders had some sort of fairly minor engine bay mods required to fit the BOPR engine. Probably not what you want to hear. But they vary significantly. For instance, I did not want to cut the bulkhead, steering, or use a remote filter so I used a forward engine location, but that required me to cut the pan and move the radiator forward. There may be a location and method that allows you to only cut the openings for the RV8 style headers. (highly recommended)

JB

deltadave
dave plumley
unionville TN
(69 posts)

10/24/2010 08:21PM

Main British Car:
1953 MG TD Chevy 350

authors avatar
Posted by: deltadave
Date: October 24, 2010 09:23PM

Hi Guys
I just retired as a gas compression engeneering tech and moved from upstate New York to middle Tennessee. Love the weather, because of the extended driving season. Started building a Corvette powered TD last winter. The MG also has a Corvette rear and a Corvair front that I converted to disc brakes. Just got the car running last week so I'm working out some small bugs. I posted the build pics on the HAMB, and after over five hundred hits they killed the thread for being off topic. Before the thread was dusted one of the guys gave me a link to this site. Looks like this is the place for me.
PICT0750.JPG

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Date: October 24, 2010 09:49PM

Welcome Dave,

Wow, that is quite a nice looking car. I can't wait to see it in person, hope you will bring it to the 2011 British V8 meet. Mark your calendar: May 15, 2011 at the Tally Ho Inn, Townsend, TN. How far are you from Dan Masters
(at Alcoa, Tennessee)?

Jim W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2010 09:50PM by jim0899.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 25, 2010 05:16PM

Way cool Dave. You've definitely found the right place!

63215BUICK
CLYDE SCHLAICK
SALINAS,CA
(8 posts)

10/26/2010 05:43PM

Main British Car:
69 CAMARO/68 FIREBIRD/55 CHEVY/63 BUICK 215 215 BUICK BLOCK IN SANDRAIL

Posted by: 63215BUICK
Date: October 26, 2010 10:49PM

Hello everyone,My name is Clyde, my wife and I live in Salinas Ca,and collect old car's. To date we have a 68 one owner firebird a 72 c-10 one owner, Ive been really lucky(blessed) to find two one owner car's, also my favorite is my 69rs/ss camaro im the 3rd with 97 tho and change miles, a 55 chevy that's on my list of thing's to finish???don't know when because I found a 93'frame sandrail that has a 215 buick V8 alll aluminum block& heads never new they had this? and after some run's and some repair on the tran's ...we are looking for motor parts??? Broke that to,and need a block or the whole thing, bla,bla anywhy that's how i found this great site! Now ,I never wrote thing's but felt happy to do so here???? so hello to all and hope that we can find some things and share some thing's also? never know! Hi from Salinas CLYDE & SARAH S.
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.