The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 31

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: rficalora
Date: October 28, 2010 04:24PM

Welcome Clyde. I used to be @ Ft. Ord years ago -- just down the road from you. This board has a pretty active classifieds board and also a very active engine & drivetrain board where the aluminum block 215's are covered in tons of detail. Post what's going on with your engine there & I'm sure you'll find plenty of help (even if it's not in a british car).

Stage6TD
Ed LaBrush
OH
(5 posts)

10/28/2010 09:51AM

Main British Car:
1952 MG TD Chevrolet V8 350 ZZ4

Posted by: Stage6TD
Date: October 30, 2010 11:10AM

Hi All,

A life long preoccupation with small cars powered by relatively large V8s should be explainable. Incidents during the formative years may have played a part.

It may have started with the Hurricane Hot Rod Association races on the ¼ mile dirt oval track inside the Milwaukee Mile in the late 1940s. These stripped-down roadsters were powered, primarily, by hopped-up flat head Ford V8s. Following the feature race, the pits were opened to the spectators. The night air was filled with the smell of hot oil, over heated clutches, brakes and tires. Some of the engines with their aluminum heads and dual carburetor manifolds were still making cracking and snapping sounds as they cooled down with steam still blowing from their radiators. The race cars were driven up the trailer ramps with exhaust blowing from open headers. Intoxicating! A memorable tow car was a lowered de-chromed 1941 Mercury convertible with dual “motor boat” mufflers. The rumbling sound of its exhaust pipes in the tunnel under the mile track as the Mercury pulled the loaded trailer up the incline may have had an irreversible effect.

Those impressions were reinforced by the road race at Elkhart Lake in 1951. Sitting on a billboard at the outskirts of town, observing the awesome sights and sounds of the racing Allards and Cunninghams at our feet could alter the direction of one’s life. Some of the engines howled or shrieked but the V8s boomed. Famous and wealthy people seemed to like participating in these events. Good or bad, these are things that can’t be ignored.

Many others seemed to be similarly affected. A magazine told of a road racing MG with a Ford V8 60. Just imagine, a MG roadster with a hopped-up V8 engine from a record holding circle track midget or hydroplane.

In 1949, Cadillac and Oldsmobile released their overhead valve V8 designs. It may have been a good thing for some of us that those vehicles didn’t handle very well. The Oldsmobile wrecks, in particular, began showing up in the salvage yards making the engines available to poorly financed enthusiasts.

My $150 on Carl’s counter in exchange for a 1949 303 cid Olds Rocket V8 confirmed my eagerness to join the movement. I’d gone from observer to participant. This could be attributed to the rebellious teenage years.

The photo, below, from 1954 shows that engine after some development. A used Edmunds 2 carburetor manifold was purchased. Inspection of my new treasure revealed why it was available, a part of a sand core blocking a port! The Stromberg carburetors were from Carl’s flat head Cadillac engines. The hydraulic lifters were made into solids by removing the springs and check balls. Ak Miller adjustable push rods were used. The heads were milled to increase compression. Mallory supplied the coil and distributor. A camshaft change came later.

This engine was used in various forms in a 1933 Ford cabriolet, 1938 Ford 2 door and a 1940 Mercury club coupe until military draft papers were received in September of 1955.

Serving 2 years in the U.S. Army with a Military Occupational Specialty, 635.10, Vehicle Repairman, only deepened the affliction. Being surrounded day and night by other auto enthusiasts in motor pools and Ordnance Depots is not likely to lead to a higher calling.

By 1957 the movement was in full bloom on the streets, circle tracks, drag strips and road course race tracks. The high winding small block Chevrolet V8 was changing the landscape. Shortly after discharge from the Army, a 1957 Corvette came my way. It went through a series of modifications, including installation of a 4 speed transmission. A factory 2-4 barrel carburetor set-up and 3 Rochester 2 barrel carburetors on an Edelbrock manifold were tried. The engine was bored and high compression pistons were added. Various camshafts were tried. The later model Corvette traction bars were added to prevent spring wrap-up.

The Corvette was great for ripping through the gears but, the British cars seemed to have an edge in the handling department. Increasing the power to weight ratio of a British car with a V8 engine seemed reasonable enough. By 1969, the sacrifice of more normal pursuits allowed the purchase of a new 350 hp 327 cid Chevrolet V8 engine and aluminum case Muncie 4 speed transmission. These were installed in a 1962 Jaguar XKE coupe that had been acquired for this project. At the time of the photo, the engine was basically a standard 350 hp long block with two 550 cfm Holley carburetors on a Edelbrock cross ram manifold. A Mallory distributor and coil were used. The exhaust header tubes are 5/8 inch diameter X 34 inches long. The car turned a 13.2 sec. at 110 mph at Great Lakes drag strip in 1970. The rear axle ratio was the standard 3.31:1 so it went through the traps in 3rd gear at about 6000 rpm. Firestone Wide Oval tires were used. Now that the obsession had been confirmed, it just became a matter of trying to balance it with the other aspects of life.

There is no known genetic disposition toward V8 engines in the family. Unfortunately, the condition may be infectious. In the 1951 photo, the 1933 Ford cabriolet still had its flat head V8 and a cable operated muffler cut-out. My brother, Al, is seated next to me and Jerry is on the nearside running board. I accept some responsibility for Al’s affliction.

Ed
Olds engine.JPG
Jag Dual Quads.JPG
Ed Al Jerry '33.JPG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2010 11:39AM by Stage6TD.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 30, 2010 11:39AM

Ed, I've been toying some time with the idea of a flathead V8 in an MGB. As someone who has probably seen this done, is the Ford flathead the lightest one that was produced, or is there another?

JB

Bow
Scott Bowen
NW Houston, TX
(3 posts)

11/01/2010 10:41AM

Main British Car:
Nissan KA24DE

Posted by: Bow
Date: November 03, 2010 12:40PM

I', Bow,

Live on the Northwest side of Houston, TX.

I'm looking for a British car to swap my built Nissan KA24DE (2.4L, DOHC, FI) into.

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Posted by: jim0899
Date: November 08, 2010 11:24PM

Ed,

Nice to have you on the forum, looks like you have quite a bit of experience with Chevy powered British iron. I was curious to find out what part of Ohio you are located, and I sure would get a kick out of seeing pictures of your Chevy powered MG TD.

Jim Willenbrink
just south of Cincinnati, OH

nellotinnirello
nello tinnirello
cleveland ohio
(6 posts)

11/16/2010 04:33PM

Main British Car:
1980 tr7 buick v6

Posted by: nellotinnirello
Date: November 16, 2010 04:56PM

GREETINGS ALL,

MY NAME IS NELLO AND MY PROJECT NOW IS A TR7. I HAVE LUGED THIS THING AROUND FOR 13 YEARS ITS TIME TO FINISH IT. I HAVE TO GET SOME PICS LATTER TO PUT ON. I AM IN THE PROCCESS OF MAKING A NEW BODY KIT FOR IT. NOT JUST GETTING AN MR2 BUMPER AND SLAPPING IT ON. MOST OF IT WILL BE CARBON SUCH AS BUMPER HOOD AND TRUNK. WHY, MOST PEOPLE ASK AND I SAY "BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME." I NEED TO FEED MY PROJECT SO IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO MAKE THEM SOMETHING WITHIN REASON I CAN HELP "COMPOSITE WISE" ILL MAKE IT FOR ANY CAR.
SO FAR ON MY PROJECT I HAD TO PULL OUT THE GRAND NATIONAL MOTOR BECAUSE I HAD TO SELL IT. I BOUGHT ANOTHER V6 AND SOON AN OLDER CARB TURBO SET UP. I ALSO HAD ADAPTORS MADE TO FIT PORSCHE WHEELS. MOST PURIST CRING AT ME OH WELL.

switchblade7.62x51
James !
The Bourbon Smoky Hills of TN a wee bit south of B
(13 posts)

12/01/2010 05:43PM

Main British Car:
1954 Austin Healey 100-4 Chevy 350 LT-1

authors avatar
Posted by: switchblade7.62x51
Date: December 02, 2010 10:55PM

Hi, my name is James and I'm a Gearhead(Boy, that was real tough, you know, first time admission!)
I been wrenching everything I have owned to a point since I was a kid. You know the deal, no money for a real mechanic to do the work, so drive on. Dirt bikes, a 1966 Mustang(now with a 357ci Windsor in it), a 2002 Harley Sporty with a stupid fast 110hp motor in it(cafe racer, needs body work, but motor and suspension are done), and a Factory Custom Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4(Panty 6's). We(me and Sam) now have the 1954 AH 100-4, a '72 LT-1, a '83 Doug Nash, and the will to see where we can go with it all in the next few years.
I been military all my adult life. Entered the USMC in '82, served until '86. CA Nat. Guard from '87 - '95, HI NG to '97. Army from '97 - '09. I am now a full time student as of January 13th at APSU to get a MEdical Technology BS degree(How about that! after 26 years of service I can finally get a BS degree!) Hopefully between the books and papers I can give Sam a hand with this little semi rusty project and make it look a little like this by the time it's done:

2407706_large2[1].jpg

Sam of course wants wider wheels and tires and the 100-4 has the cool triangular grill with the lightning bolts on it. His color of choice at this time is a very dark 'black jade' to make a nicer shade of BRG with some metal flake in it and he wants the sides done in white flake

Orange Alpine
Bill Blue

(45 posts)

12/20/2010 07:36AM

Main British Car:
1967 Sunbeam Alpine 2.5 Ford Duratec

Posted by: Orange Alpine
Date: December 20, 2010 08:22AM

Hello, my name is Bill Blue. My car, a 67 Alpine. While the body and suspension are pretty much stock, the drivetrain is Ford. Engine is a 2.3 Duratec (Ranger edition), as is the transmission. Rear axle is Ford 8". Front brakes are a combination GM "Metric" calipers with Pontiac rotors. Rear brakes are Saturn disc. It has an aftermarket EFI, producing close to 200 hp.

I'm retired and spend lots of time working on the car. I have put 8,000 miles on this install, but it is now undergoing a winter rebuild. Mostly a bunch of items that are not exactly right. Most noticeable is the tranny, a $38 Ebay buy, it has no 2nd gear synchronizer to speak of. Getting a larger throttle body, fix the AC, the list goes on.

Here are a couple of photos of the more or less finished build. I am willing to answer any question of anyone interested in the build, also have a bunch of them taken during the build, if anyone is interested.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Orangealpine/IMG_1414.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Orangealpine/IMG_1415.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Orangealpine/IMG_1413.jpg

Bill

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 20, 2010 11:29AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of photos of the more or less finished build. I am willing to answer any question of anyone interested in the build, also have a bunch of them taken during the build, if anyone is interested.

Welcome to the forum, Bill! I know I'd love to see more pictures of your very unusual and exceptional build, although this thread isn't the place to go into those details. Have you surfed through our "How It Was Done" articles or our photo gallery sections? The best How It Was Done articles are the ones with lots of in-process photos. Alpines are under-represented, and I'm keen to fix that. Please help. Here's information about how to get your car featured where it belongs: [www.britishv8.org]

Orange Alpine
Bill Blue

(45 posts)

12/20/2010 07:36AM

Main British Car:
1967 Sunbeam Alpine 2.5 Ford Duratec

Posted by: Orange Alpine
Date: December 21, 2010 07:15AM

Uhh, don't think so. As I read the fine print, any picture I submit and you accept, becomes your property. To me, that means I loose the ability to post those photos elsewhere without your permission.

Don't need that, ain't gonna do that.

Bill

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 21, 2010 11:19AM

That would be incorrect Bill, based on common usage and custom. May sound that way by the agreement but what it really says is that once submitted you can't keep the site from using the photos however they see fit. You still retain your own copies and rights to those. I would expect Curtis will confirm this interpretation.

JB

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 21, 2010 12:56PM

Jim's explanation is absolutely correct. Without the "fine print", we could go through all the work of publishing an article in good faith and then be forced to pull the photos off our website. Photos from "How It Was Done" articles sometimes get recycled into tech article illustrations. Incidentally, almost all the photos in our galleries have been "Photoshopped" in one way or another. It might be as little as re-sizing them, but quite a lot of them have been rotated a few degrees, re-cropped, color-adjusted, sharpened, and then stored with our own preferred compression settings. (It's very rare for me to repair a ding or fix rust, but I use Photoshop to clean distracting oil spots off people's driveways all the time. Recently someone asked me to take his wife out of a photo. You might be able to tell I did so if you carefully study the newest Photo Gallery additions.) Therefore, I feel no shame about claiming an all-inclusive copyright on photos that appears in the photo galleries.

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: December 21, 2010 02:27PM

Bill Blue,
After being part of this website for years and meeting Curtis Jacobson, Dan Masters, and the rest of the members attending the Indy meet this year, I can vouch for the integrity of their word and their intentions regarding the agreement. They simply want protect the work they invest in the publishing, while helping as many people as possible to see and admire as many cars as possible. When I made my first post, I immediately received private messages asking questions about how I built the car. Many sounded very anxious to use some of my techniqes. Your photos and story could easily be the inspiration that knocks someone off of the fence and starts them building their dream car. Think of how good you will feel knowing you gave someone that kind of confidence. This is a great organization that I am proud to be a part of.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 21, 2010 05:33PM

Curtis,

It would be awesome if you could help me with the oil spots on my driveway, too! ;)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 21, 2010 06:11PM

I would Carl, but I don't have any photos of your driveway. Send me that HIWD article and I'll see what I can do.

jim0899
James Willenbrink
Florence, KY
(60 posts)

10/05/2010 04:46PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Chevrolet 327

authors avatar
Posted by: jim0899
Date: December 22, 2010 06:17PM

QUOTE:

"Posted by: Orange Alpine
Date: December 20, 2010 08:22AM

Hello, my name is Bill Blue. My car, a 67 Alpine. While the body and suspension are pretty much stock, the drivetrain is Ford. Engine is a 2.3 Duratec (Ranger edition), as is the transmission. Rear axle is Ford 8". Front brakes are a combination GM "Metric" calipers with Pontiac rotors. Rear brakes are Saturn disc. It has an aftermarket EFI, producing close to 200 hp. "

Welcome to the site Bill. Looks like you did an exceptional job on your 67 Alpine. There are lots of friendly folks here to meet.

Jim Willenbrink

We Bad
Richard Egge

(3 posts)

12/21/2010 10:55PM

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Posted by: We Bad
Date: December 23, 2010 12:03AM

Greetings all,
I am glad to be here. I'm from Atlanta, GA USA and have been a long time fan of the Jaguar E type.
jag VC2.jpg
I am exploring the possibilities of putting one of my supercharged V6's into an AWD Land Rover. Used Land Rovers are relatively inexpensive locally. I would like to explore the performance potential of AWD and I have several Chevrolet-based V6's available. My question is this: Can I adapt the Chevrolet small block bellhousing bolt pattern to the Buick 215 V8 Transmission?
Thanks,
Richard

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 23, 2010 02:50AM

Welcome to the forum Richard! Glad to see you here. (I think you're the same Richard Egge who builds miniature engines, aren't you?) One little thing though... your question about how to make a Chevy engine mate to a Land Rover definitely belongs in its own thread, and that thread belongs in our "Drivetrain" section, here: [forum.britishv8.org] (That's where you can be sure the right people will see it and give you the sort of detailed advice you want.) Jump right in. I'm keen to learn more about Chevy's 90 degree V6s.

We Bad
Richard Egge

(3 posts)

12/21/2010 10:55PM

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Posted by: We Bad
Date: December 23, 2010 10:21PM

Curtis,
Yes I do the small engines. I've neglected my web site for the last few years but I haven't stopped machining.
V61.jpg
From what I've seen so far, this looks like a fun place to be part of.
Thanks for hosting it!
Richard

barrysmgb
barry strugnell

(26 posts)

12/24/2010 12:57PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: barrysmgb
Date: December 24, 2010 05:50PM

hi ,barry here from lutz fl collect cars retired att 3street rods couple corvettes thought v8 mgb would be fun got it yesterday already pulling apart been retired 10 yrs. doing 302/t5 mgb rdstr
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.