The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Curtis: frappr.com
Posted by: BMC
Date: December 09, 2007 09:47PM

Curtis,

I had a couple of frappr maps posted a while back on teh mg-cars board in the conversions section. They worked out pretty well to see how many and where the V6 cars were as well as the V8 cars...

I think *if* you have time, having a map like this would be pretty neat that would just cover 'members' to this board, not engine specific but a general map that anyone who wants to publish where they are, could.

Good idea? Bad? Otherwise?

I really like to see where others are located. I already see a person or two in my area that I did not know about previously when I pay attention to the ID of each person.

Also, a map like this may give an idea for local branches of the British modifieds to crop u psome day if this keeps going in the right direction.

-BMC.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Re: Curtis: frappr.com
Posted by: Citron
Date: December 10, 2007 02:21PM

Curtis,
I think that is a good idea.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 10, 2007 03:15PM

If somebody puts one up I'll be happy to stick a pin in there for Florence, Ky.

Jim

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 10, 2007 05:35PM

The old ones that i posted are here:

[www.frappr.com]

and

[www.frappr.com]

Those are the OLD type and since they were not used for a while, they did not update it in some way, thus the background does not come up. I also think curtis or the webmaster of this website should have the links and control, not an outside controller like those (which are currently under my control so i suppose i coul dhavethem updated but really hoping to have THIS site have their own and start from NEW!)

Anyways, what I am proposing is this:

Something posted on the main section of the website. Not in the forum.
Something on a page inside the website, not a simple 'link'
Something that asks the basics:
-Name
-zip code
-car type/year
-engine/gearbox type/year

What not to do on this site: split them by engine type. This was a simple idea for the time that we needed it, but this board need a one map link that would help everyone.

Why is this of ANY use?
Find out who/if there is anyone in your area.
Start a local/regional chapter rag-tag group of British car nuts, okay, repower nuts.
My starting unelected name: BRG= British Repower Group

***all of this is easy for me to say... I am not helping with it, just delegating/ordering!

-BMC.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 10, 2007 06:59PM

If you're interested in seeing what completed/re-powered cars are in your area, you can already check that here: [www.britishv8.org]
In addition to car owners and locations, this "How It Was Done Index" already shows car model, car model year, engine make, displacement, and transmission, and it alreadly links to the respective articles. Scroll to the bottom and note that this page is already sponsored. "City" and "state" are also listed in most of the the individual photo gallery pages. If you're curious to search for a neighbor, there's a search box at the bottom of every website page... just enter local town names and press "enter".

Doing what Frappr does with graphics and with users being able to enter their own data would require quite a bit of new programming work. In addition to the time required to actually do this project, I'd need to budget some time to learning HOW to do this project. Then there's the question of getting paid for it. How much INCREMENTAL revenue could I expect from adding this feature?

Please keep in mind that this site is primarily funded by vendor sponsors, who receive advertising value in exchange for their sponsorship. None of our existing (paid) vendor-sponsors have asked for this feature or volunteered to pay for it. There are already about 360 perfectly good unsponsored pages on this website. At the moment there are also 46 un-sponsored articles already prepared for the next (upcoming) issue of the newsletter. Selling those existing ad spots is my next priority!

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 10, 2007 08:34PM

I am not speaking of a large start from scratch program, just a program that is similar to anyone using mapquest or any other 3rd party website as part of their own on a single page. I think this can be done without fees other then time. The frappr system is pretty quick and easy to use, just a matter of integration, if possible. If not, just a simple link on the britishv8 site that sends you into a window allowing use of the page you set up. It would be way cool to link this to the overall board so when people register, they come up on this, but as neat as that is, I can see weeks of time wasted away on that one!

I still need to/plan to jump on the bandwagon in both sponsorship and articles. I have lots of articles, but nothing that i can find that is quite pertaining to the conversions. When I "complete" my own car, I will write more about the bits and pieces of this car and what was done to make it what I needed on my own car.

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.