Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

FWIW, Jensens
Posted by: roverman
Date: January 03, 2010 11:27PM

I have no interest.May want to "peep", "Jensen Healy PreservationSociety", for sale section. Example, 74 JH roadster w. 302 Ford,Ask $2900. Jensen Interceptor,roadster, in NC,make offer. Good luck, roverman.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: FWIW, Jensens
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 04, 2010 07:47PM

I don't neeeed it, but just so happens I'm going to Palo Alto on Sunday for the week so I'm going to check it out. Good tip Roverman.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: January 09, 2010 02:00PM

Rob, glad to be of service. If you, "get it", maybe some, 32 valves on top ? Good Luck, roverman.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 09, 2010 09:56PM

Going to see it Monday evening.

Was just looking at the pics -- did you notice the hood -- holes cut for dizzy & carb clearance but no evidence a scoop was ever fitted. The write up made it sound like he drove it with the 302 for a while before it sat but can't imagine it was driven too much like that. Anyway, i'll find out the scoop on Monday.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 12, 2010 01:21AM

Went & checked out the 302 Jensen roadster this evening. It looks pretty much like the pics at this site [sites.google.com]. According to the owner it was sitting from 1997 (I think that's what he said) till 2003 when he moved 16 miles. He got the car to start, drove it the 16 miles to his new house & parked it. It's in a garage under a cotton car cover.

Isn't running now & didn't have a way to see if it could be turned but I'd bet it could be running with a couple of weekends worth of work. Likely would need fuel tank cleaned out --- maybe fuel line too, fresh battery & prime the oil pump. Owner thinks motor came from a '78 -- didn't say '78 what. Has 2 barrel holley 500 on it. Points distributer -- looks like points/condenser were replaced & hardly driven after that or maybe replaced trying to get it running again.

Wiring could use attention.

C4 transmission.

Stock Jensen rear axle -- pretty sure he said 3.73 gears.

Dual exhaust exiting left side.

Engine required slight notch on front crossmember. Custom shorty style headers. Single steering shaft but had interesting looking double knuckle universal joints at each end. Small (about 8") air cleaner raises up about 1 1/2" over hood -- doesn't have a drop base. Distributor also required clearance hole in hood. Net, would need a hood scoop.

Didn't spend a lot of time looking at suspension -- it's stock as best I could tell. Think it was double wish-bone but won't sear to that. Did notice it had ball joints vs. king pins and tube shocks front & back. Shocks looked to be replaced not long before it was put up. Disc front brakes; didn't notice rears. Wheels are stock Jensen 13". Tire tread was pretty much 100% but clearly dry. Front tires were 205/60/13's; didn't check rear tire size but believe they were the same. Not a lot of room to go bigger on the front but could certainly go with 14's & maybe 15's in a 50 series. Plenty of room for both larger diameter & a bit wider in the back.

The respray looks like it was a quick respray job when it was done. It is flaking at seams & there's surface rust in those areas. Trunk floor looked good. I didn't check floor boards. Rockers, dog legs, bottoms of fenders & bottoms of doors showed no signs of rust (not even paint bubbling). Didn't have a magnet with me but looked straight. Doors rub sills, but likely need adjusting &/or hinges fixed/replaced as no other signs of sagging. Bottom paint/under coat in good condition -- clearly been there a while but in good shape.

Interior is warn -- about what you'd expect from a '74 that hasn't been updated. Seats aren't torn though & carpet didn't have bare spots. lower porton of center & left sides of dash wasn't installed so switches, dash lights, etc., were dangling. Owner said he has the parts but I didn't see them. Guages appeared in good condition; no way to verify if they work. Glass in good condition -- didn't notice any cracks or chips or delamination.

Net -- for $2,900 or a little less (his wife wants it gone) it looks to be a good deal. If I were going to pursue it, I'd want to crank it to be sure it's not siezed, check compression & listen, but baring a significant engine problem it looked like a car that could be running with little work & driven while improvements were made.

But, I'm going to pass. My wife was intereseted in it as a car for her (especially w/the automatic). But she wouldn't want to drive it till I could sort it out, clean up the interior & fix the doors so they'd close smoothly. I'd rather finish my car & then get my shop finished (we moved into a house shortly before I started the MG & I've never finished wiring the garage. I've been stringing 1 extension cord around to power my woodworking tools for 4 yrs now). Plus, I just couldn't convince myself to like the Jensen's styling. I'm sure there are some who love it, but it just didn't do a lot for me. I think we'll look for something else for her once my car & shop are finished..

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Posted by: mindseye
Date: January 12, 2010 11:30PM

That was a pretty neat car and looks roomy in the engine bay....I am not familiar with these cars, if anyone has some info on them please drop some feedback, I had a buddy once bought a jensen engine but I never knew they were little coupe convertibles....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.