Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(249 posts)

05/28/2020 10:10AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT (working on a Sebring project) Buick 300-4 V8

Scammers
Posted by: Airwreckc
Date: February 28, 2022 09:19AM

Beware of scammers. I posted wanting to buy a Buick 350 crankshaft. I was contacted by someone who claimed to have one and he sent pictures. I became suspicious when he said he would only accept Zelle or Paypal "friends and family" option--neither of which prevents fraudulent transactions. When I told him I would only use PayPal with the option to protect the transaction, he insisted he was "legitimate" and kept pressing for Zelle. I then searched for his name on our site and could not find him. I have since researched Zelle and apparently scammers love it as there is no protection from fraud. Be on the look out for scammers--they are everywhere, even here.

Zack_008
Zack Zimmerman
Portland Or
(21 posts)

06/29/2019 03:12PM

Main British Car:
1931 Ford Buick 215=>281

Re: Scammers
Posted by: Zack_008
Date: February 28, 2022 08:27PM

I don't know the situation you dealt with, but using either one if those services does not mean someone is a scammer.

Zelle is supported through a lot of major banks including Chase who i use. I exclusively use PayPal friends and family but if someone wanted to pay the extra % to do it as a business, I wouldn't stop them. I also accept rent from my tenants through venmo friends/family with no foul play involved.

Every situating is different and I'm not down playing yours. Buyer/seller beware.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(249 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 01, 2022 07:59AM

Zack,

I agree--just using those services does not make someone a scammer. It's just that scammers prefer the options that don't allow recourse. I'm only posting just to make people aware that even on this site, scammers are there.

BriansMGBV8
Brian Macmillan
Seattle
(61 posts)

09/26/2008 12:39PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB Roadster Rover 4L

Posted by: BriansMGBV8
Date: March 01, 2022 11:58AM

Yes, be careful. I was scammed about a year ago. Though not conclusive any insistence on the use of Zelle should be a warning. I’ve received numerous offers (same person) saying something like “hey, you’re looking for a camshaft, I know Fred has one. Send him an email at ….”

I’ve gotten that same response both here and at the MGExperience site on numerous occasions.

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(249 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 01, 2022 12:49PM

Exactly my point, Brian. When I told this person I would only do PayPal with buyer protection, he immediately reverted to telling me all the problems he had with PayPal and reverted to insisting on Zelle--all while telling me how very trustworthy he was.

turbodave
dave cox

(181 posts)

04/30/2018 03:00PM

Main British Car:
SD1

Posted by: turbodave
Date: March 03, 2022 09:38AM

This is pretty simple. If you get an message like this, it’s guaranteed to be a scam. I get no end of these.

If you ever want to be sure that something genuinely exists, have them take a pic of the item with something common (say on top of, or next to it).

I’ll do something like a mug, envelope, piece of paper with a random letter, set of keys, etc.
If they refuse to do that, or say they don’t have access to something like a piece of paper or coffee mug, then it almost doesn’t exist and it’s a scam..,

CA4669A3-9C89-4719-BE41-306A421FED36.jpeg

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(249 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 03, 2022 01:21PM

That's a great idea--thanks Dave. Will prevent a lot of time being wasted.

By the way, "Peter Williams" is the same person who attempted to scam me.

turbodave
dave cox

(181 posts)

Main British Car:
SD1

Date: March 03, 2022 02:23PM

Yeah, I started doing that with anyone I wasn’t sure of many years ago. Given I’ve never been totally scammed yet, I believe it’s pretty effective.

It’s a play on the ‘custard test’ that started on the U.K. based pistonheads forum where if someone claimed they had a (insert expensive car/engine/garage/etc) they would be challenged to take another pic with said object, but for a can of birds custard (something really only easily available in the U.K.) to be set atop or beside the claim. Basically a way of proving ownership as that would be quite the thing to pull off unless you genuinely had full access to it!

turbodave
dave cox

(181 posts)

Main British Car:
SD1

Date: March 03, 2022 02:28PM

Oh, and for the PayPal thing; i will always send someone a small amount first (between 50c & $2 as a gift / friends and family and have them advise what the amount they received was, to confirm everything is correct.

I will also ONLY send as a purchase, and add 6.01% to the total to cover their fees. Doing this, there is absolutely no reason anyone should not want to accept PayPal.
If they still don’t want to do this , then it’s almost guaranteed you’re about to get scammed…

Airwreckc
Eric Cumming
RTP, North Carolina
(249 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 03, 2022 05:11PM

Exactly, I offered the same--to cover the fee. That's when he said he had problems with PayPal and insisted again on Zelle. Good ideas--thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.