Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Rover 4.0/4.6 Oil Pan and Oil Pick-up
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 04, 2008 08:07PM

Once again, I'm offering "British V8" readers first shot, before putting parts up for auction on eBay. This oil pan and oil pick-up are from a Range Rover with a 4.0L engine. They'll work great for anyone who's using the crank-driven oil pump and the front cover from a 4.0L or 4.6L Rover V8.

These could be modified to fit Buick/Olds/Rover aluminum V8's of other displacements (e.g. 215cid / 3.5L, 3.9L, 4.2L, etc.), but that would require a little fabrication skill and effort. The potential BENEFIT of modifying these for the smaller/older engines is that the sump is a little deeper, and higher capacity, and there's a baffle in it. Please see the pictures and captions below for more information.

I'm asking $60 for the oil pan, and I'll throw in the oil pick-up for FREE!!!

Bonus: FREE SHIPPING for anyone in the continental U.S. or Canada.

Here's a similar oil pan for sale on eBay: [cgi.ebay.com]
(His price: $59.99 plus $19/shipping, with the oil pick-up NOT included.)

Procedes of this sale will go directly to British V8's operating budget!

OilPan-A.jpg

The bolt pattern of this Rover 4.0/4.6 oil pan is different from earlier-style Rover or Buick/Olds pans in the area of the timing cover (i.e. at the right-hand side in the photo above). Another design difference is that the earlier style oil pick-ups don't have an o-ring... instead, they bolt-up flat-surface-to-flat-surface to a boss on the engine block rearward of the center main bearing cap. Please reference the photos and description included here: [www.britishv8.org]

OilPan-B.jpg

OilPan-C.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2008 02:32AM by Moderator.

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Re: Rover 4.0/4.6 Oil Pan and Oil Pick-up
Posted by: Phillip G
Date: April 10, 2008 09:49PM

Curtis,

Will the sump bolt pattern fit my Rover 3.5 block bottom ?

If so, I'll want to purchase the sump, if still available.

Thank you.

cheers,

Phillip G

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Rover 4.0/4.6 Oil Pan and Oil Pick-up
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 11, 2008 02:47AM

Please notice that I've just rewritten the caption that appears between the first and second photos above to clarify that this oil pan won't simply bolt-up to the earlier/smaller Rover engines. Some cutting and welding would almost certainly be necessary! However, if you're willing to do some cutting and welding anyway to create an enlarged, baffled-sump oil pan (for racing, etc), this Rover 4.0 pan might possibly be a better starting point than the earlier pan. Please refer carefully to the photos, and also compare them to the photos in the article by Greg Myer that I linked to above.

Note: I'll have unpredictable and probably very limited access to the internet through next Tuesday. Please pardon me if I'm slow answering questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.