Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Roadmaster spares for sale
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 02, 2008 09:13PM

I'm going to list several items that we won't be using to complete the Roadmaster project. If you buy one or more of these items you will be helping to support the project, so I hope this will help you feel generous. There are no set and fixed prices. Everything is negotiable as we would like to accomplish three things, dispose of the items, finance the project, and benefit patrons of this board. However, I will suggest what I feel are reasonable prices on the items. Other members of the project may disagree and are welcome to say so.

Anyway, I'll start the list off with a few items and come back and add to it until we have everything posted.

2 doors, about 1970 roadster, complete with glass but no inside trim. They appear to be in pretty good shape, usable as is, red. Price? Moss shows doors for $628 each and I'm guessing that doesn't include the glass. Can we get $200 each for them? Is that too much?

1 front fender, roadster, passenger side. Moss lists $785 but this one has a lower patch panel that was pop rivited on so it would need to be removed, trimmed and butt welded, which would give a good solid fender. There is also a ding on the nose that would be pretty simple to straighten. Maybe we could get about $200 out of that too? It's also red.

Anybody that's interested let me know and I'll shoot photos.

More later.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: Roadmaster spares for sale
Date: May 08, 2008 12:39PM

70 views and not one comment. Guys I've got to say I'm disappointed. I thought this was a group project, not a one man band. No more effort than it takes to hit reply and say "don't need it" or "too much", and right there you've increased participation by probably 500 percent because somebody else will feel better about saying something too. I don't care if you can't use the part, at least be a part.

OK, so more parts and some photos:
MVC-518S.JPG

MVC-519S.JPG

MVC-520S.JPG

Jim Stuart donated these wheels. He suggested the set might be worth $250. Nice thing about them is that the center caps are octagonal so it's a natural to get a local sign shop to print up a set of self adhesive MG logos to replace the existing faded ones. Then polish them up and you've got a real sharp set of wheels. Fit the standard MGB 4 lug pattern and should work without flares. They are 6-1/2" by 14" with a 4-9/16" backspacing or a 22 mm offset.

Make us an offer.
MVC-523S.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 08, 2008 12:48PM

MVC-521S.JPG

MVC-522S.JPG

This is an 8" ford housing mated to MGB axle tubes. The parts are assembled but not welded, so alignment and welding is required. We also have the center section which is an open diff with 2.78 gears. I do not know what this is worth but based on the work that is done and cost of parts I'd say give us $150 for the housing. The center section ought to be worth about $30. We have the Ford axle shafts also and can include them with the housing. I understand the Southern boys graft those to the MGB outer end to get the correct axle. Makes sense to me.

Jim

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 08, 2008 02:41PM

Jim,
I'll take the center section for $30. I will deposit in the account.
Could you take it to WI, and I'll get it from you there?
I don't think I'll make it up there again before then.
Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 08, 2008 03:27PM

Sure thing Steve. I'll put a tag on it next trip out to the shop.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 08, 2008 03:35PM

Jim, are you up to shipping parts? If so, probably the way to get the most money out of the parts is to sell them on eBay. I've done a lot of that & would be happy to take care of listing, coordinating payments, etc. You or someone there would need to take care of packing/shipping once stuff is paid for. I'd also need 3-4 good, sharp, photos of each part -- showing various angles/sides & especially any dings, dents, defects (I've kept 100% positive feedback by being as honest as possible in the listings I've done).

Just to give you a feel for what you can expect for the parts, based on my experience....

Doors -- $25-150 depending on condition. If nothing more than surface rust & no dings/dents (especially in the skins), they should go for close to the $150 mark. It looks like the one pictured above is somewhat bent around the handle & edge, if that's not an odd reflection, it'd make the price go down quick. Also, it's a good example of how the pics can help/hurt the sale. On eBay, folks are skeptical for good reason. Lots of folks wouldn't bid on it even if the text says it's not dented if the picture makes it look like it may be.

Fender -- I've seen them go for $25 to about $125. CB fenders in good shape tend to go for the higher amounts but this one has the ill done patch. Still, if we could honestly say there's no rust other than surface rust & there are no dings/dents other than the minor one at the nose, it should go for somewhere between $75 & $100 I would expect.

Wheels depend on whether they're something people would be looking for... Make, model, whether there's curb rash, etc. play in on those.

Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 08, 2008 05:15PM

Rob, I'll take you up on that. But first, let's give our own peers a shot at the stuff. With your estimates counterbalancing mine maybe someone here who might consider supporting the project will make us a fair offer, and if the offer is a little high at least it goes to a good cause. If the offer is low we may feel obligated to sell the item anyway but if that does happen then at least we are also supporting a good cause and don't have to feel bad about it. Obviously everybody loves a bargain but my suggestion is, if you buy something at a bargain price you might also consider making a donation to the cause.

I think I've already said I don't know what the current value of the parts is. Take the wheels for instance, they're a little dirty, have some small spots where corrosion has gotten under the clear coating, but I didn't see any damage anywhere. If Jim Stuart thinks they're worth 250 I'd assume he knows what he's talking about, but if someone offered 200 for them instead I'm guessing we'd take it.

Getting back to ebay though Rob, the original idea was to offer stuff here for a couple weeks and then go ebay. How's that sound to you?

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2008 12:35PM

Rob, I'm going to try to get out and take more photos of the doors and fender today, maybe some of the other parts too. Guess I should get some more shots of the wheels as well. Would it be better to post the photos here, or send them to you and let you handle both the ebay listings and those on this thread? At least that way you'd have control of the timing which might be the best.

Jim

Doc Hopalongfoot
Marc Weitzman
Huntingto Woods, MI
(58 posts)

01/22/2008 11:45PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster ford 302

Posted by: Doc Hopalongfoot
Date: May 11, 2008 04:16PM

Jim,
I may have a use for the wheels, need some for this season before changing bolt pattern and rear, etc.
Could you take better pics and post them?
Thanks,
Marc

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2008 09:37PM

Marc, I did a quick clean up and shot some more photos. There is a small spot of curb rash on one rim, some white discoloration on another where it looks like some solvent dripped on it, and some small spots where corrosion got under the clear coat:

MVC-529S.JPG

MVC-530S.JPG

MVC-533S.JPG

MVC-534S.JPG

I do have additional photos I could send you if you like. Also, these photos look very good. There are small spots here and there, and the center badges are in pretty bad shape. The wheels aren't perfect, but they're really pretty good.

Incidentally, I lost my 100% ebay rating due to a retaliatory feedback before I knew they could be removed and my rating is now 99.3%. That was a long time ago and the seller shipped obviously used goods after describing them as new and never used. I discovered this was a pattern in their listings and dropped a negative feedback on them, and felt completely justified in doing it, refusing to lift it even after their retaliation and offer to lift it if I did. But Rob's offer to help is a real break for me. There's more than I can do to get ready for the meet in July. The one thing you can count on though, is that the parts will be as described, as nearly as we can make it, and if either of us does make a mistake we will do what it takes to make good.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2008 09:42PM

More shots of the fender:

MVC-541S.JPG

MVC-539S.JPG

MVC-544S.JPG

MVC-547S.JPG

It's not rusted through anywhere, not even close. But it will need some work.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 11, 2008 09:50PM

More photos of the doors. I apologize for the poor quality, I was on top of a section of pallet racking next to a mercury vapor light, but at least they should show more detail. One door has the rear edge bent down a little and both are deformed by the wing glass but no crack has yet formed that I could see. The wings are the earlier and more attractive chrome plated brass and the mirror is in good shape with some light pitting.

MVC-550S.JPG

MVC-554S.JPG

MVC-555S.JPG

MVC-556S.JPG

I'm not sure why the door handle looks all dinged up, I don't remember that being the case, but as before, I do have more photos if anyone is interested.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 13, 2008 08:19AM

Dan B has offered $100 for the wheels. He is here for the day so I need to answer him before he leaves. Yes? No? Any comments?

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 13, 2008 11:25AM

Seems fair to me.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 13, 2008 04:01PM

Well, Dan laid a hundred dollar bill on me and I took it. The wheels have gone to West Virginia and will soon make an appearance on one particular TR4-A. He may be asking for advice on tire selection, we were thinking a 215/60-15 would be about right.

So I have some money to deposit, probably do that tomorrow as it's looking like errand day. Just this small amount eases my concerns noticeably about being ready for the meet.

Jim

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 20, 2008 04:39PM

More parts. These are the wire wheels off the GT. They're in pretty good shape, no loose wires, splines look good and I didn't see any dings. Two of them look like recently purchased new wheels, two are probably original and the other looks in between. Can deliver to the V8 meet. Can one of you guys give us an estimate of what they're worth?

Jim

MVC-590S.JPG

MVC-593S.JPG

MVC-594S.JPG

MVC-595S.JPG

MVC-591S.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.