Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Historically Important MGB V8 For Sale
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 30, 2012 01:32PM

Tom Rosser in Ohio spotted this on eBay and sent me a heads up... I thought I'd pass it along.

Many of you know this car well:
eBay listing for Kurt Schley's 1974 MGB V8, with D&D built Oldsmobile aluminum V8 engine (~266cid)

Here's the How It Was Done write-up:
Kurt Schley's How It Was Done

For those who don't know... Kurt Schley invented the How It Was Done article. He started the MG V8 Newsletter, which evolved over time into BritishV8. He organized V8 meets. Kurt even got married at one of them - and many of us were proud to witness for him! If it weren't for Kurt's bad influence, I wouldn't be here and quite probably this message board wouldn't exist. I have no doubt that literally hundreds of V8 conversions trace their roots to Kurt's pioneering work. I can't emphasize enough his importance to our hobby, and this is the car Kurt was bustin' knuckles on over all those years. You can read more about its engine, its suspension, etc., by surfing around in our back issues. I'm told that Kurt sold the car about two years ago.

The eBay listing reads: "This car was professionaly[sic] built by a shop in Michigan." NO!!! D&D Fabrications of Michigan built the engine, but they didn't do the engine swap. The seller also says the (stroked Olds 215) motor started as a Buick 216. He claims it produces over 300hp (ha!). He seems to think the front brakes have been updated to discs. Obviously the seller is clueless and/or distressed. Don't let that turn you off: this is a solid, well-sorted car with a strong engine. It certainly deserves a good home. I believe this MGB V8 is worth more than twice the "BUY NOW" price of $7500, and I hope it's bought by someone who appreciates its historic significance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 05:14PM by Moderator.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4516 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Historically Important MGB V8 For Sale
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: January 30, 2012 07:50PM

Not much there that resembles the MG that I knew as Kurt's. :(

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 08, 2012 02:50PM

Winning bid: $7300

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: February 08, 2012 10:25PM

that's still a great price. Someone got a deal.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: February 09, 2012 10:14AM

That was an absolutely killer buy at that price. I just went out and looked at the shell of my project in the garage and got a little nauseous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.