Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Wildtr6
Van Wilder

(9 posts)

01/21/2009 04:15PM

Main British Car:

Top of the Food Chain TR6
Posted by: Wildtr6
Date: December 26, 2012 10:04AM

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/VanWilder/VanWilder-AA.jpg

You will not find a better TR6 anywhere, at any price! This very car is documented as top of the food chain in the Speedpro Series book "How to Improve the TR6". It's an all-around great car with especially fantastic handling and power. What about the classic Triumph bits? Everything except fenders and floor is either new or refreshed.

This V8 conversion project was started by Dan Masters of Tennessee. His idea was to emulate the TR6 built by his good friend, Ted Lathrop (owner of Fast Cars, Inc.), except with a few differences such as Ford power. I purchased what was begun by Dan. He included a new Ford Motorsport GT-40 small block crate motor with B-303 cam, dual 4 barrel Edelbrock carburetors, and a Tremec T5 transmission as pictured in the July 2009 edition of BritishV8. Dan, a retired electrical engineer, developed a killer wiring harness and started the company Advance Auto-Wire; I got the prototype.

Next, I twisted Ted's arm to build me a custom frame and suspension. This is THE FRAME shown in Ted's recent ads, featuring coilover suspension both front and rear. Fast Cars is careful to reduce unsprung weight. The result is an extremely comfortable ride and a car that handles like a new Z-06, plus I've never seen a prettier work of art!

I took the rolling chassis back to Florida with an 8" Ford 3.73 rear-end and Streetlite aluminum wheels. I was thinking: "I can take it from here." WRONG! What ensued was my employment of a number of experts down here. Additions from this point included a Vintage Air HVAC system and "Front Runner" serpentine belt system. The engine is cooled by a Griffin 4-row core, aluminum radiator. The headers are ceramic coated, which explains why you don't see blueing. A/C plumbing, wiring, etc. are all carefully hidden from view. I selected Miata seats because I strongly prefer their feel over any of the original Triumph seats. I threw out a new roll bar from Boss Frog and instead had a set of custom roll hoops built. The new hoops outline the seats and the new Sunfast convertible top can even get by. (It fits well. I took Ted's advice, and didn't even paint the hardtop but it will be included in the sale.)

Amber Automotive did all the metalworking to get the basics right on the firewall. They also made the Tulius Racing hood fit. I sprayed the TR6 tub inside and out with about $600 worth of Lizard Skin ceramic coatings for heat, sound and vibration insulation. Famous Nashville guitarist Jesse Embry did the final bodywork and paint. Then I lined the interior with about $520 worth of Koolmat. The car is cool, quiet and feels solid! Fine tuning was by John O'Mara who really knows details under the hood and whose hands fit under the dash a lot better than my hams.

I entered, and was accepted in last week's Festival of Speed in Orlando. The ass end of this little beauty was backed up to the one-of-one Bugatti Veyron ($3 million) and its lesser twin pne-of-fifteen ($1.9 million). McLarens, Porches, Lambos and those prancing horse people, all with the correct change, were mulling all over the "6" in amazement. It was a thrill to see but also sad to know I need to sell. When a few noticed my British V8 ball cap, they would ask such things as "can it be controlled" or "I bet that breaks loose at any speed" and I would try to not brag about how it was likely better than most of the $300m in hardware sitting around. But, I did and tried to not grin like a mule eating briars.

Photos and more detailed specifications may be found here: How It Was Done!

I'll take $35,000 $30,000. Not too much if you say it fast and compare the cost of a quality-built, completely re-engineered car. If Detroit spent cash like me, they'd need another bailout!

Call me at 352.540.5009 (or contact me though the BritishV8 forum's Private Message system) and then come to Florida. We'll order up some sun and haul in more sand for you!

(note: Moderator updated the price...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 03:51PM by Moderator.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Top of the Food Chain TR6
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 27, 2012 12:31AM

Beautiful car Van. And I bet it's a blast to drive.

Wildtr6
Van Wilder

(9 posts)

01/21/2009 04:15PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Wildtr6
Date: December 27, 2012 01:05PM

Thanks, Rick. It certainly is. I've read up on yours too. Nice job! Happy New Year.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 14, 2013 03:53PM

This car was already a bargain, and now Van has lowered the price. Snap it up while you can!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 14, 2013 06:29PM

I wish I had the money... I have two boys & only one car for them to inherit one day ;). Right now there's no way I could swing it.... what happened to the late '90's when money was flowing in IT?

mgaman
marshall de leon
Portland Oregon
(80 posts)

09/17/2008 06:11PM

Main British Car:
Mark 2 Jaguar 350 Chev. V8

Posted by: mgaman
Date: June 16, 2013 11:32AM

Van,
work of art--- a real credit it to you----and a steal at that price. Now, if only the Lotto moderators would hurry up to advise me of my winnings!

Jedster1
Jed Jedrey
Hixville MA
(10 posts)

11/28/2012 05:36PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB Roadster Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Posted by: Jedster1
Date: June 22, 2013 05:38AM

I can't say 30,000 fast enough to get it by the ol' lady, but I sure gave it a try!!

Sweet ride!!

Edmund Erickson
Edmund Erickson

(1 posts)

06/05/2013 09:12PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Edmund Erickson
Date: July 01, 2013 10:07PM

Van,

I'm going to be in Florida later this month. If your TR6 is still for sale, I would like to test drive it. If I like it, I'll make you an offer.

Ed

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 12, 2013 10:38AM

SOLD

The new owner flew to Florida, took care of business, and drove the car to its new home... in California wine country!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.