Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Rover EFI manifold, stainless steel fuel rail, and injectors!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 10, 2013 08:38PM

Thinking about building a custom EFI system for your aluminum V8? Consider this excellent foundation:

RoverManifoldFuelRailAndInjectors-ThorEra.jpg

This is a Rover lower intake manifold from the "Thor" era, circa 1999-2004. Great condition. Clean enough that I don't mind setting it on my living room floor... It comes with a nifty steel gasket, which you might or might not want to use to mate it with a home-made plenum. See those eight round holes? Same diameter as the earlier model trumpets! Also comes with a really nice stainless steel fuel rail. Notice that the fuel rail is of the modern "returnless" style. (There are pros and cons to that... or you could rework it.) Also included: eight late model injectors!

I could sell these parts on eBay, but I'd rather not hassle with setting up auctions etc. - I figure these parts are easily worth more than $150, so that's my asking price. Make me an offer! Send me your zip code, and I'll advise shipping cost.

(Not shown - and negotiable - I also have the engine wiring harness from this particular vehicle and I'll consider including it if you make a generous offer. You should be able to use its plastic electrical connector bodies, although if I were you I'd probably try to source brand new crimp-on terminals to use with them.)

Ships from Longmont, Colorado. Send your questions via the Private Message system.

cruiseman
Richard Woodley
Ameliasburg, Ontario, Canada
(32 posts)

01/21/2010 02:51PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB GT Rover 3.5

Re: Rover EFI manifold, stainless steel fuel rail, and injectors!
Posted by: cruiseman
Date: July 29, 2013 03:10PM

Curtis,

I see you have a wiring harness listed. I have a 14CUX unit which won't plug into my early harness but is it too simple to think that by purchasing a compatible harness, I can use the ECU with my Federal intake manifold. Also, will injectors from 89 - 94 work on my manifold. Perhaps some of your extra parts will help me to achieve a working system.

Thanks,
Richard

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: July 29, 2013 04:24PM

As I recall, the "Federal" system featured a Bosch flapper valve for measuring airflow... After that, Rover switched to Lucas/Hitachi "hot wire" mass airflow sensors. I'd be extremely surprised if any of the later Rover ECUs would be compatible with the flapper sensor. However, if you wanted to use the Federal manifold with a later-model mass airflow sensor, I don't know why it wouldn't be possible.

I can say with confidence that very little from the Thor (1999-2004) system will be compatible with earlier stuff. A whole different generation of technology.

As for fuel injectors... I don't know. Do your injectors look like the Lucas injectors shown here? On the one hand, injectors are about as easy as anything to wire. Two leads. They're simplhy solenoid valves and they're either "open" or "closed". On the other hand, the computer needs to know how much fuel flows through the injector so it can calculate how long to pulse it open for. With a programmable system (like MegaSquirt) you can enter whatever flow-rate you like. You can get that number from a spec sheet... or use a measurement from someone who cleans and flow-tests used injectors.

Note: Thor era injectors are physically smaller than the Lucas injectors and their housings are green plastic instead of painted steel.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2014 05:00PM

Manifold / fuel rail / and injectors are still available.

Is $150 too much? Make me an offer?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: February 06, 2015 07:40PM

Sold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.