Classified Ads: Swap Parts Here!

buy, sell, or trade - cars, parts, tools, etc. (Please keep ads out of the other forums!)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ADL
Andrew Laycock

(3 posts)

04/04/2016 07:55PM

Main British Car:

TR6 V8 For Sale (Chris Trace TR6 Build From Photo Gallery)
Posted by: ADL
Date: April 05, 2016 01:31PM

This 1975 TR6 Christopher Trace build is documented in the photo gallery.

In addition to the listed components in the build description, Chris later decided to replace the original frame with a new custom RATCO frame and added Miata seats (with speakers in the headrests). The car was sold in 2007 and shipped out to western Canada - that owner added push button start, electric antenna, new dash bumper package, and magnaflow mufflers. I purchased the car in 2010 and drove it back to Ontario.

I addressed several potential weak issues with the TR6 and have added:

- Nissan R200 differential (3.54:1) using the Good Parts installation kit
- Good Parts CV Joint Axle Assemblies
- Uprated front spindle (from TRF)
- LED brake lights
- Falken ZE912 tires

Top is in excellent condition, back windows still clear. Paint would be considered very good (not show quality) with some chips and swirls. There is a small (1 in. sq.) paint raise in the lower passenger corner which might be rust, however it is still solid.

Other cons: There is an oil drip - probably 2-3 drops per month (based on whats visible after winter storage). The door locks do not work, however I have installed new locks for the trunk and glove box. The after market cruise control isn't working, however I have a new unit that hasn't been installed.

I have some new parts (shoes, discs) and the original diff, as well as new boot cover and car cover.

Car is in overall great condition, and is a blast driving in town or as a long distance cruiser. It is located in Guelph, Ontario which is about an hour south of Toronto.

Price is $22,000 USD.
TR6 Pass Side.jpg
Engine.jpg
Interior.jpg
Trunk.jpg
Wheel.jpg
Driver Side.jpg

bboersma
brad boersma

(17 posts)

12/23/2008 03:09PM

Main British Car:

Re: TR6 V8 For Sale (Chris Trace TR6 Build From Photo Gallery)
Posted by: bboersma
Date: April 12, 2016 02:59PM

what is involved in bringing this stateside?

ADL
Andrew Laycock

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 13, 2016 05:22PM

Thanks for the question bboersma, it made me look a little deeper into the importing requirements. I naively thought that the US Customs 25 year import rule was the only consideration, however after more reading I realized that the EPA has some strict requirements with the importing of a vehicle. Since the original engine configuration has been changed, the EPA would consider this a new vehicle (no matter the age of the vehicle or engine) and therefore would need to meet EPA emission requirements and would need the vehicle imported through an ICI (Independent Commercial Importer) .........or try and slip by the EPA :)

With all that being said, I think my selling market will be restricted to fellow Canadians or UK/European residents.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: April 25, 2016 08:50PM

As an FYI when I brought an 8 through they just wanted to get the import duty off me.
No one checked the car.

But I'm not a lawyer and your experience may not be the same as mine...

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: April 26, 2016 07:28AM

Just a thought. How about pulling the engine and selling the car stateside without an engine. Include the engine in a crate in a separate sale. Thats how they get around selling Noble and Rossion kit cars here in the states. Buy car. Pay someone stateside to install engine. Alan, just how much is an import duty on a car? Is it somewhat equivalent to a sales tax, or is it a set fee irregardless of the price of the item. A buddy of mine recently brought some 25 year old Mitsubishi van in from Japan. It was 24 years old and the importer was in Toronto. He had the car brought from Japan to Canada. It sat there for 3 months, turned 25, and then he went and picked it up. So now he has a right hand drive diesel powered van that looks like a lunar module on wheels.

ADL
Andrew Laycock

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 29, 2016 03:00PM

Just sold the car to a fellow Canadian, less money on the sale (considering the weak Canadian dollar) but muuuuch less hassle in the sale transaction.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 30, 2016 02:52AM

I hope the new owner provides a good home for the TR6 V8, and that you find a good use for the proceeds. (Another cool car, perhaps?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.