Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
An especially cool hot-rodded Caterham (Lotus) Super 7
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 03, 2008 07:24PM

...has been added to the British V8 photo gallery!

Check out Skip Cannon's unique Caterham track-day car here: [www.britishv8.org]

SkipCannon-A.jpg

SkipCannon-BA.jpg

We'll be adding more information and photos of this car in time for the spring issue of British V8.

It's not too late for your car (or your friends' car) to be included too.
Get in touch with us if you have a little monster that you think should be in our gallery.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: An especially cool hot-rodded Caterham (Lotus) Super 7
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 13, 2008 08:06AM

Curtis, for those who are fans of the Lotus 7 and it's derivitives we should have a good sized group on hand for the Kansas City All British Car Show this Labor Day weekend in KC. They will be our special guests for the event and are having their annual midwest gathering in conjunction with our show. Russ Amos who is coordinating their part of the event estimates about 15 to 20 cars at this time.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 13, 2008 10:55AM

Cool - I think these cars are GREAT - the newer, more radical Seven derivatives especially!

Please hand out "How It Was Done" templates [www.britishv8.org] and take LOTS of photos.

Just looking at this Caterham, and at the Westfield I posted last night, I see lots of creative well-engineered solutions that could be applied to our MG and Triumph hot-rods. (For example, did you notice the fuel swirl pot on the Westfield and where it's mounted? A nice, elegant solution.) I got to ride in both of these two cars last Sunday - both easily broke 120mph on the long straight at Pueblo - and they felt CRAZY quick through the turns!

Skip expressed an interest in bringing his Caterham to British V8 2008 (Wisconsin). Personally, I think we need to make sure track days are a part of our future British V8 meets because that's a big incentive to help get these quick, radical cars to come out and play with us. (Further evidence of this: Brian Kraus's Mazda-powered Midget ran our track day at Nelson Ledges, but he didn't pull it out of the trailer for the pizza parties or autocross.)

(Brian's RX-Midget at British V8 2007)
BrianKraus-AA.jpg

scannon
Skip Cannon

(6 posts)

03/02/2008 07:08PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: scannon
Date: March 14, 2008 12:33AM

Bill,

I have the KC event on my calendar for Labor Day as a result of Russ's efforts on the USA7s forum. I plan to be there with my car and a track event would make it that much sweeter. I live for the track but I don't do autocross but I will have the car out of the trailer for the rest of the activities. It is licensed for and driven on the streets any time the weather permits.

A track day at the V8/2008 Wisconsin event would probably ensure that I would be there.

Skip

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 14, 2008 08:14AM

Skip, looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car at the All British. Sorry, we don't have the facilities for a track event, but I believe that Russ is planning a nice road trip of a couple hours duration for Saturday afternoon which should enable you to have some fun round the corners. As far as the show part goes, as our guest marque the other participants will be voting for the top three people's choices in each class and Russ is making up special trophies for the special divisions within the group such as Lotus 7s, Caterhams, and Locosts with trophies for each of those, so you'll have a good chance of winding up with two awards as well as have a good time and have your car admired by hundreds of fellow British car enthusiasts.
As far as the British V8 meet, they usually have a track session each year, that you would also enjoy.

scannon
Skip Cannon

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 14, 2008 06:41PM

Here's a link to the track day last weekend. I don't see a method to make it an embedded video or link so you will have to cut and paste it. You might want to turn down the sound as there isn't a wind filter on the microphone.

[www.youtube.com]

Skip

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 14, 2008 08:55PM

AWESOME!!!

I'll come back and study that video before my next attempt at Pueblo.

You make turn 7 look so, so much easier than other people do. (I make it look UGLY!)

===

If anyone's trying to figure out Pueblo from this tour, here's a map:
[www.pueblomotorsportspark.com]

And here are a couple notes:
At 2:27 in the video, skip is passing the tower and pulling onto the main straight.
2:50 === turn 1
3:03 === turn 2
3:08 === turn 3
3:18 === turn 4
3:30 === turn 5
3:35 === turn 6A
3:39 === turn 6B
3:45 === turn 7
3:56 === turn 8
4:09 === turn 9
4:19 === turn 10 (modified with cones to slow it down)
(for a lap time of about 1:52 and an average speed of about 70.7mph by my estimate)

Skip, you were driving faster when I was in the passenger seat!

scannon
Skip Cannon

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 14, 2008 09:37PM

"Skip, you were driving faster when I was in the passenger seat!"

This vid was taken late in the day with the timing drastically pulled because of the bad fuel I got at the Pueblo gas station. I was fighting detonation. My best time in the Miata is 1:48.xx but that was without the mess at turn ten that was slowing us down.

Skip

scannon
Skip Cannon

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 21, 2008 02:24PM

An Update.

This Summer I replaced the Link ECU with a Hydra Nemesis ECU and Hydramist water injection. I got the car running just in time to trailer it to the Flyin Miata open house and had them dyno tune the new system.

RWHP went from 234 to 301 and the torque went from 203 to 261. There were problems with the water injection and it was not used for this tuning session. When that is sorted out there should be another 20 - 30 hp available. The power to weight ratio is now 4.45 lb/hp.

Skip

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: September 21, 2008 02:40PM

Awesome results!

Skip, I need to get with you and take some pictures of the new hardware! (I've been up to my eyeballs lately...) Here's the one snapshot I got two weekends ago in Denver:

IMG_0130b.JPG

scannon
Skip Cannon

(6 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 21, 2008 10:27PM

I've got to move that boost gage and water injection meter up on or above the dash panel. I can't take my eyes that far from the tach and road when under boost. Got to clean up the wiring under the dash as well.

Skip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.