Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

evrard36
Hubert evrard

(2 posts)

06/11/2012 05:14PM

Main British Car:

Jaguar MKII Engine swap
Posted by: evrard36
Date: June 11, 2012 05:44PM

Hi
I introduce my project, I have an old jaguar mk2 (in reality her sister the little Daimler 250 V8) and I wanted to restore it. Nothing extraordinary, I have all what I need and i know this car. But I don't want to mount original engine for following reason: the gearbox is weak, I have to restore all the motor and the fuel become really expensive today (the small V8 is very greedy).
So to have the comfort of a modern car I want to swap this motor . I thought about the ideal engine to power my car : I have to put propulsion engine with about 220HP and I would like found automatic gearbox. Finaly I think the jaguar's V6 of 3L will be the best: i will preserved the Daimler differential gear and I just will adapt shaft.
I really never work on new engine, so I have many question before bought crashed jaguar s or x type with good mechanical part.
In my mind I just have to move the engine with all accessories, I just have to weld brackets but some friends warned me about the difficulties to adapt fuel injectors or electronic box... all is manage by electronic captor so if I don't connect all (help system of braking or steering...) I will have engine error? Will it start again? Can I and should I keep the computer? The engine will not be too big?
Maybe a xj40 will be more easy to swap? I have seen one 4.2 of jaguar 420, cute and powerfull, what do you think about?
I have not see any project of mk2's swap, and nobody upgrade rear suspension who are not independant.. Can i easely adapt s-type or 420 rear suspension?
I have currently advance the bodywork, i want to refine the mk2's drawing by removing bumper (front and rear), erasing chromiums..
414090_3639531660198_1031460950_33375733_152183253_o.jpg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Jaguar MKII Engine swap
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 12, 2012 08:07AM

I take is that you are in the UK with the project due to the engine choices you mention. This does limit things a bit compared to the selections we have here in the states. As for integrating the electronics, yes you may have problems without all the sensors, but most can be bypassed as they are usuall some type of switch and only register on or off. You'd have to figure out what the "normal" reading would be and then either leave that circuit open or shorted to represent the switch. I did just that on the power steering sensor and air conditioning sensor circuits on my Midget with a Camaro coumputer and fuel injection system.
Stick with a pushrod valve 60 degree V6 and it should fit the engine compartment just fine and clear the steering gear well. OHC engines and 90 degree V's usually are too wide for that rather narrow engine compartment to fit without a lot of modification.
Another possibility would be to use the GM designed 3.4L V6 that was also used in some Jeeps and I believe Izusu SUVs. Brian McCollough at BMC Autos (one of our advertisers) has a harness and computer mod to work with that engine system.
S2s and Damilers are fairly rare and expensive over here, so not many are modified.
As for the rear suspension, nothing wrong with the original leaf springs if refurbished, can give an excellent ride.
Later suspensions may be a problem as they are designed to use rather large diameter wheels and those may not be to your liking on the S2. We had to use 17" wheels on the Roadmaster project because of the size of the rear hub carrieres on the XJ rear suspension we used on that car. They can be modified to fit of course, check out how Jim Blackwood designed the mounts for the modified Jag rear suspension in the Roadmaster threads on the MG page.
Oh yes, and welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future and S2 Jags are one of my favorite cars, love the design.

evrard36
Hubert evrard

(2 posts)

06/11/2012 05:14PM

Main British Car:

Re: Jaguar MKII Engine swap
Posted by: evrard36
Date: June 15, 2012 05:31AM

I'm not realy in UK, I come from France, but in my country this kind of work is not welcome. I know the s-type's independent rear suspension is realy more efficient and comfortable as MK2, so i like addapt it. I initially wanted to install the engine of the Ford Scorpio Cosworth, it may be good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.