Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

will a v8 fit this?
Posted by: crashbash
Date: January 29, 2013 01:15PM

[rover.ebay.com]

Just saw this in BAT

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: will a v8 fit this?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 29, 2013 01:45PM

Not easily, but...

Ginetta G15s are really wonderful cars! If I were looking to get into vintage racing, a G15 would be very tempting. Racing is a lot more fun if you like the guys you're racing against, and if their cars/skills are competitive. There are at least three G15s actively vintage racing in North America - I've seen them run at Mosport (near Toronto) and at Summit Point (West Virginia, near DC). You'll find them paddocked together. Their owners/drivers are very friendly and welcoming.

I've sat in John Sambrook's Ginetta G15 and can tell you it was surprisingly comfortable for my leggy 6'2" body.

John tells me that Hillman Imp engines are readily available and not-too-costly. The engines were built by Coventry Climax.

Here's a snapshot of John's engine bay:
JohnSambrook-Ginetta-G15-BA.jpg
(You're looking at the back of the car. The engine is behind the transaxle.)

I've been informed that this particular G15 has been on the market for a long time...

If you're interested in setting up any specific car for racing - including for example this particular G15 - you'd be well advised to take a rulebook with you and inspect the car in detail. A car that's been modified for hillclimb racing may need truly extensive modifications to be eligible for vintage road racing. Buyer beware!

A G15 might be a good stepping stone to one of the other (more expensive) Ginetta models. IMHO, the G4 is one of the prettiest cars ever designed. G12 is more sexy than pretty. I'd love to try any of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 04:01PM by Moderator.

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Re: will a v8 fit this?
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: January 29, 2013 04:16PM

Note - It's a rear engined vehicle and their ain't a lot of room there. Having said that, look what people do with the old Chev Fiero's, mating v8's to them, so who knows.

I'd look at transplanting a v6 from a Fiero wreck into it. You'd have the whole transaxle assembly to work with.

M.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.