Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Time capsule, the mother of prizes........
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 03, 2013 08:23PM

This is very fascinating and how lucky would someone be to own one of these........

[www.messynessychic.com]

Yeah, sweet dream!

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Re: Time capsule, the mother of prizes........
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: July 03, 2013 10:25PM

Not British, but nevertheless very desirable to any car lover......

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 04, 2013 01:16AM

The article never answered the obvious question: "Why?"

Why would a car dealership squirrel away such a large and diverse mix of brand new and lightly used cars. A hoarding disorder? Was some sort of fraud was being covered up? Or did the business simply fail, and no one had the stomach to sell off its assets. You'd expect there'd be creditors to pay, and thus there would have been a need to unload the cars back in 196x.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 04, 2013 12:13PM

Curtis, the cars spanned such a period of time and many were "new" with under 20 miles on the odometers that I doubt if the business failed, more likely the dealer had enough money and foresight to put some away for the future. Probably as you suggest some sort of hoarding disorder much as I have! LOL
My dad was a new car dealer working for GM from 1978 until he retired and many small dealers in the old days were almost forced to take some models even though they knew they would be hard to sell in their areas. Most of these cars wound up being traded to other dealerships in larger cities, but some just sat there on the dealer's showroom until they had to be moved to the back lot so to speak to make room for the new models. Could be what happened in this case since many of the "new" cars were rather rare models like a special editiion Corvette and a 58 Cameo pickup.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: July 09, 2013 04:03PM

Direct link to the auctioneer's website. [www.vanderbrinkauctions.com]

Quite a story, but it still doesn't really answer "why"? My father-in-law has been a car dealer in Lincoln and chevy fanatic for over 40 years, and he has long heard the legend of this guy's collection. He said the rumor was that the guy was just stubborn, if he didn't get his price he'd rather keep the car than accept less. Hard to believe but it sounds like they had pretty low overhead - one employee!

Pierce is only 70 miles from where my parents live. I'm definitely going to the auction, just to see the cars. Although, if I could get a 60's chevy pickup with a decent body that would be tempting. You know anything desireable with very low miles is going to bring an astronomical price. I doubt if there will be anything at all resembling a good buy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.