Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

06/25/2012 01:29AM

Main British Car:
1962 Jaguar MK2 Ford 5.0L (302) stroked to 331

1962 Jaguar MK2 powered by Ford 302 V8
Posted by: selash
Date: June 29, 2012 11:39PM

Hello All,

I am in the middle of converting my MK2 to a ford 302 based drive train.
I know may purists will not like it, but it is the car I want and the ford drive train works well for me.
The conversion takes over 200pounds off the front of the car and I can easily work on all the drive train.

I love the creativity and the cars I have seen on this site. My hats off to you all.

I posted a log on the project page. I will keep it up as much as I am able.
I have the "mock up" engine in final position.
I have it to the point of a minor amount of trimming and fabricating the trans cross-member and motor mounts.
Got headers in today!!!! So I am very happy!

They fit as if made for the car on this side.
Tri-y drivers side1.jpg

A little more work needed on this side.
Tri-y pass side1.jpg

Nice to see the collectors hanging under there! Made my day.
Tri-y collectors.jpg

Love the site!
All the best.

Silas

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 1962 Jaguar MK2 powered by Ford 302 V8
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 30, 2012 01:17AM

Welcome to BritishV8, Silas.

I really like to see tri-y headers, like yours. Old school! Where did you find them?

We have several people working on Mk2 projects now, so hopefully you'll be able to help each other along.

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 30, 2012 04:07AM

Hi,

I found the headers at the shop That does my machine work. "Top of the Hill" in Livermore, California.
Cannot recommend them enough. They fabricate and put out the best work in every aspect of cars and engines.
You can get some nice tri-y headers from Doug's Headers. These would be very close to their Mustang Tri-y's, they also have
some that are for a ford falcon (which has an even more restricting engine compartment- that would have been my next try.)
The new headers carry a big price tag. I was fortunate.

I still need to make sure the clutch fork etc all fit and clear. I am going to run a hydraulic clutch which I hope will just be a matter of hooking up the MK2 hydraulic system to my new slave unit. I will keep you posted.

Silas

Wagonmaster505
Scott Elliott
Albuquerque, New Mexico
(4 posts)

11/02/2012 08:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 Jaguar XJ6-L Chevy 350ci.

Posted by: Wagonmaster505
Date: November 02, 2012 08:27AM

Hello,
Do you have any overall photos of the car? Love to see them. I think the MK 2s may be the best looking Jags ever.

mgaman
marshall de leon
Portland Oregon
(80 posts)

09/17/2008 06:11PM

Main British Car:
Mark 2 Jaguar 350 Chev. V8

Posted by: mgaman
Date: December 04, 2012 08:58PM

great work........love to see it when it is completed.....!

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 14, 2014 01:09PM

Hi all,

Just getting back at this project in the next few weeks.

I did manage to build a cross member for the transmission.

cross member 2 small.jpg

cross member 1 small.jpg

All the best!

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 30, 2014 08:41PM

Got some good news today. Took my original radiator to the radiator shop to have it cleaned and checked out. Mostly for cleaning as I had a four row core installed many years ago and the car sat for way too long. Anyway, he thought the stock radiator would cool my engine no problem. So, that part of the puzzle is in place for now.

Got the engine running on my engine stand.
Startup 331 web1.jpg

Fired right up and sounds great.
Here is a video if the link works.

[youtu.be]

Starting to look like reality now!
All the best

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 06, 2014 02:08AM

I keep making slow progress despite other demands on me.

I had a driveshaft fabricated to go from my tremec 3550 to the stock rearend.
This was a simple process. I made a measurement in the manner the driveshaft shop described and took them my old shaft.
They provided a new tube for the shaft and the from yoke to go into the tremec. They balanced and painted it.
The shaft installed with no issues. Whew.

MK2 Driveshat rear view.jpg

I also went thru some issues with the fuel pump and fuel lines.
After some research, I decided not to run the Jag electric pump and began looking for a good replacement that I could fit into the trunk.
Most of my findings made me give up on the trunk placement and then I decided to go with a mechanical pump.
I had resisted the mechanical pump because it involved changing my oil filter plans. The oil filter can not mount in the stock location because of the steering box. I had purchased a 90 degree adapter from Ford Racing, and wanted to avoid a remote oil filter.
Now I felt the mechanical pump was worth the change. A mechanical pump will give me more fuel than my engine will use and avoids another complicated point of failure, as well as all the wiring needed to do it right with an oil pressure sensor and so forth.
Bottom line I went with a remote filter and have installed the pump and run the engine. So far so good!

MK2 mechanical pump etc.jpg

Also ran new fuel line up the drivers side to the front. I will add even more shielding. I ran 3/8 stainless line, which was a pain to bend but came out great and is really sturdy.

MK2 main fuel line.jpg

Now I ran into another issue I did not want to face. I realized that my water pump pulley was underdriving the water pump and alternator. I have decided to go with a mechanical fan, again to limit points of failure and complication. Well, my pulley system was underdrivng the pump by over 20%, which means at idle my mechanical fan will be going 20% slower when I need it most.
I called the pulley manufacturer (CV) and they only sold underdriven pulleys and their pulleys only play with each other.
So, I needed to get a crank and waterpump pulley system. SBF pulleys are a complicated problem because there were so many combinations. Bottom line I needed to change my water pump to get one with the correct offset to run with my three bolt crankshaft damper. I ended up with a set of "March" pulleys that actually overdrive the pump/ fan and alternator. I am very glad I have done this as this is going to be a driver. The pump I needed had the inlet on the passenger side now, which lines up with my MK2 radiator.
I did have to change the timing pointer location which meant I had to fabricate my own pointer. I was fortunate that my damper had additional marks I could use on the drivers side. Lucky!
Be very careful choosing your pulleys and water pump. PM me if you find yourself confused.

So, now I will have good fan speed for cooling at idle and my alternator should charge better. I like that I now have the water pump inlet on the right side for my radiator. Some good came of all this. I am now working on getting the right belts.
I will post a picture soon.

I have installed new brake lines and have the hydraulic clutch worked out. I will save that for another post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 02:09AM by selash.

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 10, 2014 03:09AM

Here is a picture of what I ended up with on the engines pulleys. I am running only one belt for the fan and alternator from the crank.

Uderdrive pulleys etc.jpg

You can also see how the new water pump inlet is on the passengers side and will match my stock radiator.
It is crazy how much time and effort has gone into getting all this right.

I will fire the engine up one more time on my test fixture and if everything checks out, I will install it into the car.
I am leaving all the final engine compartment cleanup and metal work until everything is running and working, and then I will pull the engine again and do all the final metal work.

Oh yes, I have notched the cross member to make clearance for the front sump of the SBF oil pan.
It is a bit more than ended up being needed. I used some very heavy gauge steel to fill in the notch cut out and feel it is as strong or stronger than original.

Cross memeber notch.jpg

Here is a shot of the oil pan I am using. It will hang about 5/8 deeper than the stock ford oil pan, but holds a lot of oil. Did I need this pan, maybe not for a very mild application, but the core of this motor has some very high HP potential and although this application may not warrant it, the motor does. This is a Milidon steret strip pan and hold 7 quarts.

Oil pan installed web image.jpg

I guess I have not described the engine. It is a 331 SBF with a mild roller cam and roller rockers. I picked the mildest roller I could that would have some good fuel consumption characteristics, which meant short duration. I wanted a good idle in this car. The cam was so mild for my 10:1 CR ratio engine, that I had to CC the combustion chambers to make sure I did not have to high of a dynamic compression ratio. The chambers on my AFR 165 heads came out larger than advertised, to my good fortune and I will not be pinging on pump gas.

I have a Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold and a 600 cfm Holley Carb. I purchased an MSD distributor with a vacuum advance and have set up the advance for my application. The vacuum advance is all goodness on a street car.

The engine most likely has around 380HP which is already too much for this car, but that is how it works out. I may swap a milder engine in down the road, but I doubt it.

Anyway, enough of that stuff. Almost time to get it into the MK2.

All the best!

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 23, 2014 03:57AM

Had some issues with running the mechanical fan. My engine is 3/4 inch of center to the radiator and my fan does not match that location. Amazing how much difference that 3/4 makes.

So I am going to a Ford Taurus electric fan with a solid state controller.

Went round and round with how to mount the fan to the radiator. Trim down the fan and make a full shroud? Maintain as much of the stock shroud as possible?

I decided that it would be a stronger mount with less chance of breakage if I kept the shroud as complete as possible.

So I am fabricating a bracket that matches the Taurus fan shroud and will mount onto the MK2 radiator.
The bracket will be what the modified fan and shroud assembly mount to. That way if I need another fan for some reason, I can just trim one down and bolt it on. I may pick up a spare to have on the shelf.

Here is a photo of the initial stage of making my mounting bracket.

Fan mount fab.jpg

Here is the fan assembly trimmed and fitted.

Fitting the Taurus fan.jpg

I still have some finish fabrication and to create the attachement points, but it looks like a good solution.
That fan looks crazy on the stock radiator. I am not worried about not being able to pull enough air!

Here is my controller for the fan.

Fan controller.jpg

The website for the controller is [www.autocoolguy.com]

He has some videos on youtube. The controller comes with the sensor.
I will report how it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2014 01:16AM by selash.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 23, 2014 02:33PM

Looks like a great top end fan controller, if somewhat expensive ($199). Maybe we should have a thread just for fans and controllers.

Jim

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 16, 2014 01:33AM

I am going to take a minute here to talk about what issues I had upon actually fitting the real engine into the MK2.

First my mechanical fuel pump would not clear the steering box, specifically the adjustment bolt on the top - so I had to go to a smaller GPH version.
I got a Holley 80GPH which is more than I will ever need. I have great clearance now on the steering box.

Had to move my alternator to the upper drivers side. It had interference with the power brake booster. I suppose there are other solutions, but this was the simplest for me.

Looking at all of this, I would do more mock up on the engine in the car, it would have solved some issues ahead of time, but it seems hard to prevent such issues until you have everything. So maybe I am not doing so bad.

My fan came out fantastic and really draws air. It looks great in there.

I mated the trans to the bell housing with the clutch installed today and bolted the transmission cross member on and installed the drive shaft.

Lots of work to do, but all my clearances look good! I feel like I am in the home stretch now.

My biggest wild card right now is if the stock master clutch cylinder will drive my new clutch slave cylinder. I can always adapt the stock slave if I need to do that. At least I think I can. Lol

Still heading to my goal of getting the car running and then pulling the engine one last time to finish all the metal work and clean things up.

I will have some pictures soon.

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 05, 2015 01:54AM

Started the car today after making a quick exhaust system and cleaning up little electrical.

Big day, still need to get the clutch working and bleed the brakes.
Ready to roar again.jpg

Here is a video:

[youtu.be]

All the best!

blurooster
Hugh Williams
Knoxville, TN
(14 posts)

08/14/2014 08:14AM

Main British Car:
1976 TVR 2500M, 1962 MK2 Jaguar Ford 302, Chevy 383

authors avatar
Posted by: blurooster
Date: January 08, 2015 12:32PM

looked very hard at your build before decideing to go Chevy.
cold air 1.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 12:33PM by blurooster.

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 09, 2015 01:59AM

I got mine to fit very well, but it is soooo close in some areas. It took a lot of planning and test fitting.
Having said that, if I had to do another, I would go with the SBF again. The two inch narrower format of the engine allows me to have basically drop in headers with some minor massaging in a few places. The cross member notch was very simple.
I guess for me the easy full length headers, which are tri-y and not large tube( 2.5 inch collector), kept me on the SBF path.

I finally got the hydraulic clutch bled and ended up using the jaguar clutch master and a new larger slave from Xks Unlimited that is also made for the MK2. Whew.
Bled the brakes and just need to clean all the splines/wheels and put it all together and try to make it roll!!!!!

My car sat for ten years with the wheels on there. Very dangerous not to take them off and grease regularly. Never thought of that!! Had one knock off that was difficult, but came off. They were new wire wheels I had purchased when the car was still running. In hind site, if your car is sitting, pull those wheels off and grease and maintain even if the car is sitting. I was lucky that is was garage kept all this time.
If they freeze on there you are in trouble.

I will hopefully have a great update, that I was able to drive the car sometime in the next few days.

All the best!!!!

selash
Silas Elash
San Jose, California
(14 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 19, 2015 01:30AM

Have driven the car and done some updates.

I drove the car and had some wandering issues going down the highway.
I replaced the worn rear springs and the spring related bushings and the car handles much better.

In a word "extremely fast", OK two words. It is honestly the fastest vehicle I have driven in a very long time.
The rear gearing combined with the tremec 3550 I have seem to have it geared like a 1/4 mile car. A bit much.
But I guess I do not have to use it like that. I have no interior and only the drivers seat in the car, so I am sure that is adding to the quickness. As long as the big 5th gear gets me a decent highway mileage, I will keep it like this.

I finished a first shot at my exhaust system. It is 2.5 inch pipe from the 2.5 inch collectors. It uses all mandrel bent sections that I put together with couplings and welded up. It has no crushed bends. Not perfect, but it is solid and flows great. I went from 14 inch dynomax super turbo mufflers to 20 inch versions because the car was a bit loud for a MK2. It is still kinda loud, but OK. I suspect it would be quieter with a smaller diameter system?

Here are some photos of the exhaust system in case someone wants to see, and for reference to anyone else making this conversion.

MK2 Exhaust.jpg

Really did not expect the rocket that this has turned into. Crazy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.